PDA

View Full Version : Sidney Crosby has a full trophy case, almost

Donald A
06-17-2007, 05:49 PM
:trophy: I was excited to see Sidney Crosby win both MVP trophies (Pearson and Hart) as well as the scoring (Art Ross) trophy. This is quite a huge feat that I do not think many people in the sports world realize. At his age, I think we are going to witness some great hockey over the next decade! Of course, the Stanley Cup is needed to really fill his trophy case.

mouseaddict
06-18-2007, 08:20 AM
It was very exciting. I really hope he can bring some excitement to hockey for a long time. He is so young and still has so much potential! If only he didn't play for the Penguins....lol

Ian
06-18-2007, 09:06 AM
I don't know what it is about Crosby (maybe just that he plays for the Penguins), but something about him I don't like. He seems arrogant or brash or something.

I know he's incredibly talented, but I compare him to Gretzky and I think Gretzky played with a lot more class and humility early on in his career.

Donald A
06-18-2007, 11:58 AM
I don't know what it is about Crosby (maybe just that he plays for the Penguins), but something about him I don't like. He seems arrogant or brash or something.

I know may people share this view. He is thought of as a whiner on the ice by many. I have heard that he is incredibly shy and is not that great with the media. For 19 years old, however, it is hard to really gauge anything yet.

I will also say that I wasn't around to see Gretzky early in his career. I know some experts have said that Sid is a little more physical, but like I said I really can't compare.

pshokie
06-18-2007, 12:39 PM
I would say he is at the "perfect" club for purposes of comparison. While he is talented, no make that gifted, he does appear to be a bit of a love/hate magnet. Those who love him will defend him till their deaths. Those who dislike him will see all of his flaws and spotlight them.

Gretzky we universally respected, awed, admired, and yes, loved by the hockey community as a whole (for all intents and purposes).

For this reason, I think Crosby, who is not universally respected, awed, admired, and yes, loved by the hockey community as a whole, should be compared to, none other than Mario Lemiux.

Mario suffered from the same complex, compared to Gretzky, but never as beloved or respected, especialy by the fans.

pshokie
06-18-2007, 12:53 PM
Oh yeah, just to add some "spice" to the discussion, I assume you are referring to his case being "filled" with an inevitable Stanley Cup? Yeah, that would look nice. Right nice to the spot where his Calder Trophy is!

:funny: :funny: :funny:

Sorry, as a former Caps season ticket holder, I just had to add that. :D And I am sad to say, I use the word former, because I am a victim of the lockout. I have not watched a full game since.:(

Donald A
06-18-2007, 04:47 PM
Oh yeah, just to add some "spice" to the discussion, I assume you are referring to his case being "filled" with an inevitable Stanley Cup? Yeah, that would look nice. Right nice to the spot where his Calder Trophy is!

:funny: :funny: :funny:

Sorry, as a former Caps season ticket holder, I just had to add that. :D And I am sad to say, I use the word former, because I am a victim of the lockout. I have not watched a full game since.:(

You know your hockey and make a very good point. I gotta give you that one! :goofy2:

pshokie
06-19-2007, 09:34 AM
It's all in good fun. :thumbsup:

Besides, what is [was] Red, White and Blue and cannot hold onto a 3-1 Lead? ;)

FWIW, a buddy of mine is a H-U-G-E PIttsburg fan across the board. PA, born and raised, God help him. ;) Last year, neither of us watched much hockey, but that did not stop the jabbing back and forth. Of course, lets just say last year, neither the Pens nor Caps were what you would call "exemplory". If it were not for Crosby and Ovechkin, people would have been asking, "they still have teams?"

Juggalotus
06-19-2007, 11:16 AM
Gretzky we universally respected, awed, admired, and yes, loved by the hockey community as a whole (for all intents and purposes).

Gretzky was over-rated in many respects. His number should NEVER have been retired league wide. But then again Bettman is known for ignoring the history and integrity of the game to make a quick buck. There are only 2 teams for which that number should not ever be worn again.
Yes he could score, but he couldn't take a hit. He was not an all around player, he was just very good at what he did.

JPL
06-19-2007, 12:01 PM
It's very difficult to compare Gretzky to Crosby since they played in 2 different eras and different styles. I think the Mario Comparison is closer and yes he learned his whining from the Master himself. I have to say he might be a great player but man can he whine and whine and whine. He also learned his autograph and fan interaction skills from the Master.

And saying Gretzky couldn't take a hit is probably right but then again not many people could catch him to hit him in his prime.

Ian
06-19-2007, 01:38 PM
I'm virtually certain that's the first time I've ever heard the word "overrated" used in conjunction with the name "Gretzky."

Now if you said Lemieux was overrated, I'd agree wholeheartedly, but Gretzky???

The guy re-wrote the record books (and many of the rules!). He's the MJ of hockey.

pshokie
06-19-2007, 01:57 PM
Ahhh, the Great One. My single favorite memory of him is one that not many people will know, excpet the fellow Cpas fans in attendance that lone Tuesday night long ago........

It was his first season with the LA Kings (blashphemy), and they were in Landover MD (DC) playing my formerly beloved Caps. In the third period, Caps down by one, and behold...a pentaly on the Kings. We are gonna tie the game!!!!

So here is the face off....Kings win the draw and its back to Gretzky with 1:57 or so to go on the power play. He turns left, then right, then does a lopp-de-loop, cuts back. Our "neighbor" Jan keeps yelling "Come on hit 'em! He's just a little guy!" He goes left, then left again, cuts back to his own end, turns right, gets to the boards and flips the puck down the ice into the Caps zone. There is now 25 Seconds left on the power play.

All attending that glorious night at the Captial Center gave him a standing ovation. I have never seen anything like it, nor will I ever again. He single handedly killed 1:30 on a powerplay by skating around in circles.

That is why he is The Great One to me.

kakn7294
06-23-2007, 04:58 PM
For those of you who see Sidney Crosby as a whiner and arrogant, you are completely wrong. Sid is a wonderful young man - he's been great with the fans here in Pittsburgh. We probably see him quite differently than the rest of the country does. He is very shy but he's become comfortable with the media here - knows many of them by first name. He's frequently out and about in the communities and loves the kids through college age crowds. He and his young comrades have gone out and bought pizza for the college kids waiting in line for the special tickets available to college kids here. He's still very much a kid himself and all of this is very overwhelming for him.