PDA

View Full Version : Hooking up Gaming Systems in Hotel

PirateStitch
06-17-2007, 01:30 AM
Hello-
I was wondering if anyone has ever hooked up a Nintendo Wii up in the All Star Music Resorts at all? My HB wants to bring his system but unsure it will work. On a previous visit during a bus ride we met a couple staying at the Wilderness Lodge that had been able to set up the Wii in their hotel. Is there a difference in Tvs. Help we leave this Monday !!!!

merlinmagic4
06-17-2007, 07:24 AM
I don't see why you couldn't. We have set them up in hospitals successfully but never a hotel (yet!).

TammiMcMan
06-17-2007, 10:08 AM
Okay, this made me chuckle. You're going to Disney and want to bring a video game system for the resort room :D.

Maleficent's Dad
06-17-2007, 10:24 AM
Okay, this made me chuckle. You're going to Disney and want to bring a video game system for the resort room :D.
Agreed! :exactly:

:funny: ;)

TiggerRPh
06-17-2007, 06:58 PM

Yeah...me too.

:confused:

vamaggie
06-17-2007, 08:05 PM

Me too!! I would be furious if DH or kids wanted to bring a gaming system for the room. All we usually do in the room is collapse! Unplug, unwind, chill out!

Not2Loud
06-18-2007, 08:51 AM
It is possible they are just staying there, and not going to the parks. I have done that before...I know its almost worthy of banning me from Intercot; but on occasion I have had conventions or such in Orlando and chose to stay at a WDW resort, just to be close to the "magic."

Pocahontas
06-18-2007, 11:58 AM
I don't know about hooking up your game system; however, I can not imagine staying in the resort room for any other reason than being sick. Even if you're not going to the parks there is so much to do and so many places to relax and enjoy the atmosphere at all the DW resorts.

BritCody
06-18-2007, 12:25 PM
Wow, When I was a youth my Dad always told me that I wasn't allowed to watch the TV on a vacation. He would say he didn't spend the money for me to watch TV. I could do that at home. Now I do the same to my kids. You can always watch TV and Play video games at home but now your in WDW!!!!

thrillme
06-18-2007, 02:38 PM
To take it or not take it that is the question. I'm not a big fan on taking video games because like the other posters said...who has time. Alas. I do know of families especially those staying at the "nicer" resorts that actually spend time in them.

In hotels generally they've all got some sort of goofy TV that allows ONLY the connection from the wall to the cable. They don't have any other hook ups except for sometimes a "keyboard" in which you can type in your "check out" info.

"Some" hotel TV's do have a place where you can hook up an RF receiver thingy and be able to play your game but...most have games/movies you can ORDER through the "system" so it's like they set the TV up to detour you from doing anything like hooking up your own gaming system or DVD player. (They want you to spend money). It's becoming more and more the "speciality" hotel TV's that are designed differently so that there are no hook ups for a game.

I've tried hooking up a DVD player at OTHER hotels we've stayed at and found it to be nearly impossible without a screwdriver and other tools (which personally I'm reluctant) but honestly I haven't tried it at Disney because I'm so much into the parks that when we finally make it back to the room we might stop off and get something from the food court then plop down and pass out.

BrerGnat
06-18-2007, 10:34 PM
Well, the issue at the All Stars will have nothing to do with the hookups. The t.v.'s at All Stars have the proper hookup (all you need is the red, white, yellow), plus an outlet, which is all available. I've hooked up my video camera to the t.v.'s at the values before.

The issue will be space. There will really be nowhere to play the Wii because the t.v. is set up where directly in front of it, is a bed, which is about 2 feet from the t.v. (i.e., the "floor space" between the furniture is about 2 feet).

It will be REALLY uncomfortable to try to play on the bed, since there is really no way to be at the proper distance (3-6 feet) from the sensor while also being comfortable. When I play, I find that if I'm not standing up to be all into it, I at least need to be on a couch, where I can lean forward a bit to have range of motion, but still also have back support. This will be impossible in an All Stars room.

I have a Wii and to be QUITE honest, I'd not bring it to WDW. It is too likely to be damaged on the way there (it is a pretty sensitive system) and although theft is not something I usually worry about at WDW, the Wii is a very high demand system still and fetches quite a profit through second sales, so I wouldn't take the chance.

ibrowse17
06-18-2007, 10:53 PM
I enjoy my Playstaion, but would NEVER want to bring with me to a place like WDW. You might want to plan an intervention...:secret:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
06-19-2007, 12:02 AM
As much as my kids love their Wii, I do not think they would want to bring it to WDW, nor would I let them..lol. ;) They would probably take something or each other out with the size of the room, as someone else mentioned. We are never in the room long enough anyway.

We have had no problem setting up our portable DVD player(My DD likes to watch a cartoon here and there while on vacation, no way a full length movie..lol) at the AS and it has the same set up as the Wii. So, you should have no problem. HTH

beksy
06-19-2007, 11:15 AM

Me too!!:mickey:

'Guest' of the MasterControlProgram
06-23-2007, 11:35 PM
I agree that it can be quite hard to hook things up to a hotel room tv. Not all have the A/V jacks in front. Some just have a coax in the back. I always thought it was out of being ultra-cheap ... most people might not notice or care and perhaps the manufacturers might offer enough pennies off that a large chain would save $ by buying these cripples tvs in bulk. ;)

You know, how car makers skimp a little here and there. Leather "seating surfaces" means pleather on the sides and backs of seats. Hard plastic in places you might not normaly touch the dash. Non-adjustable intermittent wipers on the cheap trim level models.

What gets me is how the cable from wall is exactly long enough to just reach the tv. You can't move it and to even spin it around to get to the back can be nearly impossible. Sometimes I've had to reach behind and twist the RF coax cable off and work up a sweat. I need to be thinner! :blush: I can't remember the details of All Stars TVs and for all I know some rooms might have had new (thus different) units put in since we were last there (and from the pix, Music suites do have new tvs). I caused a TV to fall face down on the floor out of the cabinet it was in at a Holiday Inn last year. :secret:

I bought an RF modulater to hook up gear at hotel rooms (not intended for WDW) and in particular for DVD players (among things). Guess whose DVDs are super-protected to cause major picture/sound degredation when fed via RF-coax? Disney! :mad::thedolls: We tried watching a Disney DVD once or twice only to have the picture fade in and out and do other oddball things, and have buzzing sound. I think I gave up and watched on my laptop. Not good when you are in the hot tub! Oh, we were getting away for a night on such occasions and relaxing, getting the really nice rooms with king bed and microwave/fridge too. Anyhow, the take away point is that this can be a pain!!

I did manage to hook up a vcr I brought to All Star Movies to tape the WDW Channel with Zip and company during the 100 Years celebration. Fed it through my miniDV camcorder and captured it in iMovie. I miss that. Like it better than the countdown. And the Amex white glove treatment ... now I have a card and they switched to Chase's Visa. Did I get off track? :blush: