PDA

View Full Version : High School Musical Crowd Control Disaster

Speedy1998
06-16-2007, 10:33 PM
Just got back from WDW and had to post what a disaster crowd control is for the High School
Musical Pep rally at Disney Studios.

Before the moving stage rolls into the area CMs put down tape that everyone has to stay behind so the stage can move into place. This gave me and most other people there that this was like a parade, you could not pass the white line, but if you sit on it you get a front row seat. Opps, boy was I wrong, as the stage rolls into the area in front of the hat you are allowed to move forward (at least this is what the CMs tell you). In practice it was more like the running of the bulls, or as we jokingly called it later in the day the rumble in front of the hat. People who had been waiting for 30 mins to an hour were trampled by people chasing the stage up the street and more than a few shouting matches broke out between anrgy guest who felt they had been shafted. IMHO, if Disney does not do something about crowd control for this show, by mid summer when it is really crowded and really hot the shouting will turn to shoving and worse fighting.

If you really do want to see this show watch from the Brown Durby Side close to the hat, most of the white lines on that side are the front row, meaning the line where you can stand on that side does not move when the show arrived.

Guya103
06-16-2007, 10:42 PM
Wow, great to know. We will be there in a couple of weeks. Isn't it a shame how a select few can ruin it for everyone? Thanks for the advice on where to stand. We will do just that!:mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
06-16-2007, 11:08 PM
I couldn't agree more. We were there in Feb. and the crowds were very low all week, but we had the same experience you had at the High School Musical Pep Rally. I too thought that we would just stay in our spot to watch the show. I was completely taken back when, as soon as the float passed, the whole crowd went mad. My son, 7, decided not to stay and watch the show. We really couldn't see anything anyway, but he was pretty freaked out by the whole "mob scene". I thought the same thing as you, watch out for the crowded summer months! And it wasn't an unfortunate select few, it was what seemed like hundreds. I think the show would be more enjoyable, and safer, if it were done in some sort of theater like a smaller version of the beauty and the beast theater.

Sunshine1010
06-17-2007, 02:49 AM
I don't know anything about this show. Any tips so my son won't get trampeled...and my husband doesn't arrest anyone for assault and battery?...he he

Speedy1998
06-17-2007, 09:23 AM
I think the show would be more enjoyable, and safer, if it were done in some sort of theater like a smaller version of the beauty and the beast theater.

When the show started it was in the theater in Tommorowland, after seeing it last Wednesday, I think that is where it should have stayed.

Speedy1998
06-17-2007, 09:42 AM
I don't know anything about this show. Any tips so my son won't get trampeled...and my husband doesn't arrest anyone for assault and battery?...he he

Close to the "hat" on the Brown Durby side seemed to be the safest. That line does not move and should put you in the front row on the side of the stage. There was a tape line box that is supposed to be moved to the front of the stage, it seemed like this is where the crowd control started to break down.

I was so :mad: after the show that I went to guest relations to complain about what had happened. After all, from what the CMs had told us before the show we thought that by waiting 30 + minutes we would be in front so my DD and DS could see the show. When I told the CM at guest relations that I wanted to make a complaint, she took out a piece of paper to write down my complaint. As soon as I said High School Musical she put the pen down and did not write anything, which leads me to believe they are getting alot of complaints about the show.

buzznwoodysmom
06-17-2007, 01:40 PM
When the show started it was in the theater in Tommorowland, after seeing it last Wednesday, I think that is where it should have stayed.

Yes, I beleive it was moved shortly before our trip and I remember telling my son that had we gone a week or two earlier we might have actually got to see the show and enjoy it. As long as they continue having the show the way it is now, we won't even bother with it. Much to dangerous if you have small children.

Meteora
06-17-2007, 05:37 PM

Actually, when we saw it in Tomorrowland, it wasn't. It was outside the theater, but it was done right out in the open, with the "stage" consisting of a few blocks that the performers set up when they arrived and took with them when they left. We didn't see any crowd control problems, though, and it was Christmas week. People just gathered around the little show, sat down in front, stood on lamppost bases...no pushing or shoving. Most people let little children up to the front. But as far as I know, the show has never been in a formal theater, with seating, or even specified standing room.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-17-2007, 05:59 PM
You'd think the CM would have wanted to write down the complaint, because you'd assume the more complaints, the better in terms of getting the situation rectified.

jeisne1
06-18-2007, 01:35 PM
I just got back on 6/15 as well and experienced the same thing while we were there. My daughter just loves the movie so we decided to go over and wait for the show, well we waited 45 minutes and we were first in line on the white line. Well, when the stage drives up, the cast member on the other side of the stage starts waving everyone on the other side up to the red line and the cast member on our side is making us stay back. Needless to say, we waited all that time and got pushed to the back. If I had known that there wouldn't be sufficient crowd control, I'd have done some other things and got there at the last minute and probably gotten a better position to see. This really detracted from the magical experience. They really need to find a better way to do things. People are going to get hurt.

magicofdisney
06-18-2007, 02:55 PM
When I saw the show at MK in Tomorrowland, the stage was stationary (not in the theater, outside it) and the performers came to it. I think it's crazy the way they do it now.

MMouse6937
06-18-2007, 04:04 PM
I think they're taking the whole pep rally thing way too seriously. It sounds like they're getting people all hyped up to chase after the stage like crazed lunatics. Seems to me if you have waited in place that long, you're going to be upset when someone who just shows up runs to the front. Well, hopefully they have had enough complaints to make a change by the time we get there in Sept. I actually love the movie :blush: and would like to see this show.

atruman
06-18-2007, 04:20 PM
You'd think the CM would have wanted to write down the complaint, because you'd assume the more complaints, the better in terms of getting the situation rectified.

I can only guess that they are already working on something, so the complaint would not have been "useful" as it is about something that is in the process of changing anyway. At least I hope so!

thejens
06-18-2007, 09:01 PM
The line for the Star Wars Hoopla is exactly the same. Very dangerous and frightening for little kids and parents who get seperated from them. Not to mention the whole "I waited here for an hour and now we can't see above the crowds?" It seems like some of the newer "attractions" at MGM seem very ad hoc and poorly thought out. I like this park less and less.

moe513
06-18-2007, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the tip.