PDA

View Full Version : Beach Club Review: GUFST Rooms, anyone?

January-2007
06-16-2007, 03:56 PM
We stayed at the Beach Club a few weeks ago for 8 nights. The Beach Club Villas to be precise. The resort was nice. Pretty compact, as opposed to, say, Old Key West.

The view
Our view was of Spaceship Earth, and that was awesome to go sit out on the balcony and stare at Spaceship Earth and I believe the Land at all hours of the night and day. Sometimes we would get home really late from the Evening Extra Magic Hours so I actually got to see exactly when they turn off the ligths on the "Epcot" sign and it's 2AM. We could see Spaceship Earth in January when we stayed at Pop Century, but this was a much closer view, so it was kind of surreal. As always, we enjoy watching the fireworks from strange places other than in the parks, and our first night we watched Illuminations for a while from the balcony. There were some trees in the way so some of the fireworks weren't so clear, but it was still neat, and we could hear music playing from Epcot.

The dining
I have already written up my Dining Reviews, but if anyone didn't catch them, we weren't impressed with the Marketplace or the Cape May Breakfast, but we really liked the Cape May Dinner. As others have reported, the resort specific mugs are no where to be found. Well, unless you look in the hands of many patrons, guests who bring back their old mugs to use and use again, but to purchase? Nope, sorry, out of luck. They offered the Year of a Million Dreams 2007 mugs which were the car cup holder size. There were three different colored handles to choose from, blue, silver, and black. The soda fountains stations were usually a mess and there were often large puddles of water on the ground from people filling up their mugs directly from swimming in the pool. I will say one thing though, their choice of hot tea bags was amazing. DH tried a different tea every day. That was a huge perk. Their straws were different, too. They were individually wrapped in paper wrappers and they were bendable straws. Nicer straws.

The pool
The pool. That's what a lot of people think of when they think of the Beach Club. It's nice, but I don't see what the big deal is about it. I would personally rather look out on Bay Lake, but maybe that's just me. We saw at least 3 pools there, but only swam in Stormalong Bay. It's a bit of a walk from the villas, but there are lots of other people walking around in their bathing suits, so we didn't feel too out of place doing the same. We went swimming twice. The first time we had to get the wristband, and the second time we asked someone at the towel station where those people were, and she said they went home for the day, so we didn't need wristbands. They had signs up telling people not to leave your stuff at an unoccupied chair, but what else are you supposed to do with your stuff while you're swimming?

The pool was pretty consistently busy. I rode the slide once, DH three times. It was so tall! I bet it's a kid's paradise. The sand on the bottom of the pool was more like little bitty rocks than sand, and apparently it was imported from Arizona. It felt really nice and didn't make the water in the pool sandy at all, it pretty much always sank right to the bottom. I forgot my goggles at home so we bought a pair the second time we went to the pool. There was a store right there selling swim stuff and it wasn't too overpriced all things considered. We saw lots of ducks in the pool, it was so cute watching them swim to the edge, get up on the ground, walk to the next pool, and jump in. There were little water falls and rock formations that reminded me of the Canada pavillion.

The lazy river has a really strong current and is really deep! Next time we stay here I want to buy some innertubes or something before we leave so we can just relax in there instead of what we did do, was just kind of.. well.. I clung to my husband and then to the edge, trying not to be run over by little children and their feet. It's pretty small, but had there been innertubes readily available I think we might have enjoyed it a bit more. DH liked it because it was deep. The rest of the pools were really shallow. And crowded. We couldn't really swim at all because it was so crowded. It was different than I thought it was going to be, but aren't all things usually that way?

You can get your refillable mug refilled at Hurricane Hannah's right there at the pool, but we never went there or even brought our mugs to the pool. They rent lockers and there are restrooms there too. And the towels are provided at the pool, you don't have to bring the room towels.

Overall I thought the pool was nice, I think DH liked it more than me, but I still don't think it's a mini waterpark by any stretch of the imagination. I was glad we were able to take advantage of it, and will in the future, but I wouldn't stay there just for the pool.

The "let's relax here" places
One day we decided to play cards for a change of pace. We went to the Solarium where there's a hallway just full of tables and comfy chairs and couches. It's a little out of the way so we got some piece and quiet and had some fun. Funny thing happened here that day- there was a CM who kept walking by on his way to delivering balloons to different rooms. Must have walked by at least 4 times, it was like a running gag. We were near the Marketplace so enjoyed lots of drinks in our refillable mugs while we played, so it was a nice repast before a late night in the parks.

When you get into the villa part of the resort there's a room with a tv and some couches in it. We played some more cards in here another night and watched "Who's Line is it Anyway?" and it was so surreal when there was a commercial about winning a trip to Walt Disney World, and we were like: we're here!!! This was on Friday night when it rained, we decided to stay at the resort instead of acting like human sponges at the Magic Kingdom Evening Extra Magic Hours. It was another nice quiet spot to relax in. See, I did try to fit in some relaxing for DH, even if he was exhausted by the end of our trip, I tried!

The balcony, that's a nice place to relax. I think I spent more time on the balcony than anyone, I really enjoyed it. I would eat breakfast out here occasionally or just sit and take it all in while DH was in the shower or getting ready. The view was great, as mentioned above, so it definately added to the appeal of the balcony. We could hear music playing sometimes, and I swear it was from the World Showcase.

The transportation
Walking to Epcot was I think the single best thing about staying at this resort. It was also a pitfall. You have to exit through the back of the park, and after the fireworks when everybody is pushing towards the front of the park, it can be a pain in the you know what to walk against the grain to get to the back of the park to exit. Other than that though, it was great. DH liked this so much, not having to take a bus. I hated having to walk near the pool and beach on the way though because every single time I ended up with sand in my crocs and it was so uncomfortable. Small price to pay.

The boat to MGM was great. We always got a seat. I loved being able to bypass the crowds leaving MGM and head to the boat dock where there were so much less people and the atmosphere was not pure chaos. I think the boat drivers must hate Evening Extra Magic Hours though, because whenever we went to those we closed the parks and when we got on the boat from MGM to go back to the resort the boat driver looked like he was dragged out of bed to do this, he was not a happy camper. It was nice to not have to bus everywhere and I for one liked the boat. By the way, there is no bus from the Beach Club to MGM. We thought there would be, but there is not, there is only the boat. At check in I asked about walking there, and the CM got really aggressive in telling us not to even try, it was too hot, to long, etc. Since we couldn't get clear directions and the boat was just so easy, we didn't end up trying to walk to MGM in the end. But we could have, I know we could have. We saw people walking from the Boardwalk as we were in the boat.

The bus transportation at the Beach Club. Where to start? There is a covered area with benches and all the areas have labels above them stating where that bus will be heading. I do not like the set up because it becomes a mob scene when the bus shows up. We much much much prefer the set up at Pop Century where you get in line and then everyone waits their turn to board the bus instead of all crowding together pushing and shoving to make it on board. The Magic Kingdom bus was always the busiest and many times people were left behind. This bus only ran from the Yacht Club to the Beach Club to the Magic Kingdom. The Downtown Disney bus stopped at the Swan, the Dolphin, the Yacht Club, the Beach Club, and the Boardwalk. We did not go to the Animal Kingdom so I cannot comment on that bus.

One morning we went to the bus stop and found a large crowd waiting for the Magic Kingdom bus so we tried something new which was a lot of fun. We walked to Epcot and did a little speed walking from the International Gateway to the main entrance to the Monorail. This was so much fun! No crowds because it was relatively early in the morning. This was to get to a breakfast at 'Ohana. We got to sit in the front of the Monorail, then we walked from the TTC to the Polynesian resort. This was such a lovely walk! We will definately go this way again! We made it on time and got to avoid the crowds, what could be better?

Continued below.............

January-2007
06-16-2007, 03:57 PM
Continued..........................

The little details
When you walk from the main building where the Marketplace is to the Villas there are signs over head. One of those signs says "DISNEY'S BEACH CLUB VILLAS GUFST ROOMS" and no, it wasn't originally an E that was worn, it is clearly an F and I think it's hilarious.

The bedspread in the master bedroom has Mickey and Minnie on it and in the second bedroom has the Little Mermaid and King Triton. There are Mickey Heads everywhere, from the chairs to on the carpet in the hallway to the paintings on the walls. It's a lot of fun to find them.

The wrap up
We liked the Beach Club Villas. We also like Pop Century, and couldn't help but to keep comparing it to that. I know in September when we stay at Pop Century we'll do the exact same thing and compare it to the Beach Club. As is life.

I would recommend the Beach Club over the Yacht Club because it's a closer walk to Epcot. The Yacht Club is closer to the boat launch though.

If anyone has any questions, I will try my best to answer them. Thanks for letting me share.

mprewitt
06-16-2007, 05:14 PM
Thanks for posting your review! I am thinking of adding on DVC points at BCV.

moe513
06-16-2007, 06:28 PM
We love the Yc because of the location. We prefered it over the bc though. I was surprised you didnt like it alot more than the values. We prefer to stay either in the epcot area or on the monorail because of there locations. What didnt you like about Cape May breakfast??? My dd loves this place. We find it to have good food and good characters,its so much better that Donalds Reataurantasaurus.

tinksmom02
06-16-2007, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the great review! I will probably never stay there, but it's nice to hear all about it!

RedSoxFan
06-16-2007, 09:24 PM
Great review. The kids and I would love to stay at BC/YC but DH has no desire to stay on the boardwalk area. Someday I'll convince him.

WDWfeelslikehome
06-18-2007, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the review. We'll be there next week. A little bummed to here that there are no more Beach Club Refillable Mugs, just YOAMD. We enjoy collecting the mugs from the resorts as a memory of the stay.

thejens
06-19-2007, 08:58 PM
I enjoyed your detailed report. We just stayed at Beach Club, but it sounds like it wasn't as crowded for us. I really loved the resort. I was frustrated that we couldn't buy a Beach Club pin! Apparently they are making a new one and it isn't in yet, according to a CM. Thanks for sharing.

Raye3201
06-19-2007, 09:31 PM
I'm surprised that you didn't like the Beach Club a lot better than POP. We stayed at ASM once for a week and then moved to the BCV for the second week and found a world of difference. We couldn't stand the lines for the buses because ASM doesn't have shade and we had to wait sometimes 40 minutes for a bus. When we moved to BCV we never waited more than 5-10 minutes and it was shaded with seats.
I've never stayed at POP but hear good things about it. Thanks for posting such a detailed post about the BCV - we are going in three weeks and can't wait!:mickey:

mrsHerbie53
06-21-2007, 10:04 PM
Hi January-2007 -- It looks like you may be the right person to help me out. We are thinking of taking a week in the beginning of August to go to WDW. We have only stayed in CBR before (and really like it), but may end up going to the POP. I would prefer going to the BC, but don't know if I can talk myself into basically twice the cost of the POP. I am thinking at least 2 or 3 nights out of 6 at the BC may be possible. (I really like the thought of the close proximity to Epcot and MGM.)

So would it be worth it to split the trip between the POP and BC?

Or do you thing you would have been perfectly happy at the POP? We have never seen the All Stars.

We will be travelling with our DS8.
Any thoughts appreciated!
Thanks!

January-2007
06-22-2007, 03:36 PM
I was surprised you didnt like it alot more than the values.
Yeah, I guess we're weird like that. Don't get me wrong, the location was great, but Pop holds a special place in our hearts 'cause we stayed there on our Honeymoon. Also, the two resorts are just sooo different!

What didnt you like about Cape May breakfast???
I wrote up a few dining reviews (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=106525) after we got back and that's in there. I thought it was going to be so much fun but the characters were terrible and the food was bad. We left after about 20 minutes.

A little bummed to here that there are no more Beach Club Refillable Mugs, just YOAMD. We enjoy collecting the mugs from the resorts as a memory of the stay.
I know, me too! I wanted a special Beach Club refillable mug, it's so sad they don't make resort specific mugs anymore, they were such fun to collect and remember the trip by!

I'm surprised that you didn't like the Beach Club a lot better than POP. We stayed at ASM once for a week and then moved to the BCV for the second week and found a world of difference. We couldn't stand the lines for the buses because ASM doesn't have shade and we had to wait sometimes 40 minutes for a bus. When we moved to BCV we never waited more than 5-10 minutes and it was shaded with seats.

The busses are like the most major thing that makes Pop Century appeal to us. We've had to take busses a lot where we used to live and I just hate the crowd swarming in to get on the bus. Lines rock!! I didn't notice any difference in the amount of time waited for the busses, either. Shade was nice, seats were taken 50% of the time, and even if you were the first person waiting for the bus you might not get on because everybody tries to push their way in front. I don't like that. We'd rather wait in the sun and be in a line going on the bus any day.

....may end up going to the POP. I would prefer going to the BC, but don't know if I can talk myself into basically twice the cost of the POP. I am thinking at least 2 or 3 nights out of 6 at the BC may be possible. (I really like the thought of the close proximity to Epcot and MGM.)

So would it be worth it to split the trip between the POP and BC?

Or do you thing you would have been perfectly happy at the POP? We have never seen the All Stars.

We will be travelling with our DS8.
Any thoughts appreciated!
Thanks!
One thing I read a while back that has stuck with me is to only stay at places you can comfortably afford, and if the money is a major concern it's better just to not upgrade. I would hate to stress over that while on vacation and try to "get the most" of the resort when all you want to do is be at the theme parks. DH and I currently can't see ourselves ever doing a multi-resort trip because we love to unpack and be there until it's time to leave. It's a hassle to move, but it depends on what's important to your family. The proximatey to Epcot is amazing and the boat ride to MGM is a nice rest from the busses. The pool is really nice too, as I'm sure everyone knows. Does that justify the cost of upgrading from Pop? I'm not sure. If it were us in the same situation we would be perfectly happy to just stay at Pop the whole time instead of trying to switch. Either way you'll be at Walt Disney World though, so I'm not sure you can really go wrong. I would just hate to not be able to buy as many souvenEars just because I paid more for the hotel room. Have fun planning your trip!!

Thanks for reading my reviews! I'm slowly working up to writing more about our experiences in WDW, maybe by next trip I'll do a day-by-day? Who the heck knows.. By the last 2 or 3 days I don't write much at all and then I forget what happens anywaze.. For those who were about to go on your vacations, have a great time!!