PDA

View Full Version : Love Bugs

septembergirl
06-16-2007, 11:49 AM
I have experienced love bugs while vacationing in FLA on the Gulf Coast. What are they like in Central FLA? What kinds of problems do they present while staying onsite at WDW?

Jen C.
06-16-2007, 12:13 PM
They were EVERYWHERE during our 9/8-9/13 stay last year. I can't say they posed any actual problems, but were just more of a nuisance than anything wlse. Do they bite or sting? If so, we had no problems with that. More or less just that landing on you, screams form the kids type of trouble if anything.

snifflesmcg
06-16-2007, 02:16 PM
Love bugs are just plain annoying. They cover the sidewalks and chairs in the resorts. They don't bite or sting.....that's the good news.

sleepingbooty
06-16-2007, 04:28 PM
They come out in May and September. They are everywhere. They move slow, so you can generally bat them away, but they are pesky. I've heard they are hard on the paint finish on cars. Still, I HATE bugs, but I'll put up with Love bugs to enjoy the small crowds in September. They're not that bad.

faline
06-16-2007, 07:43 PM
They were still there on our last trip a couple of weeks ago but were in dwindling in numbers. Hopefully, September's batch won't be as bad as last year.

Generally, you see some but usually they aren't terribly bothersome.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
06-16-2007, 11:05 PM
As you can tell, last September was just awful in regards to Love bugs. They were everywhere, parks and resorts were covered the week we were there. The do not bite or sting as others said. They just stick to everything. People, hats, strollers, food, drinks, you get the picture:sick:

Our DD was three our last trip and was scared to death of them. She would freak every time one landed on her. We are really hoping they are not as bad as last year. We have always gone in September and have never seen them as bad as last trip.

They are just annoying little nuisances!!

crazypoohbear
06-16-2007, 11:24 PM
What are love bugs????
Are they the same as cicadas???
Do we get them in the North East???
I guess I'm clueless about bugs.

faline
06-17-2007, 07:36 PM
They are not cicadas. They are harmless, little bugs that join together and fly around in that joined state. We do not have them in the Northeast.

Most of the time, they are just a minor nuisance at Disney World though last year was a bit of an exception.

Love Bugs (http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_bug)

bratmaster
06-17-2007, 11:08 PM
We just got home yesterday from a 2 week trip, and the very first day we went to MK. I could barely stand the darn bugs, they were everywhere. and then for some reason we never saw one again the rest of the trip. i am still baffled. And we went to MK 4 times total, so it was not just the park. I would have been nuts if we had to deal with those things the whole trip. They just gross me out, the way they are joined together like that. Then we drove back home to illinois and had big old cicadas splatting our windows all the way home!