PDA

View Full Version : Just finished reading Walt's Biography...

Frog
06-14-2007, 07:58 PM
If you are even a little curios about the man, this is a great read!
I teach History, which made this a fun book to read from that angle. I am amazed at what he was able to accomplish during the 30's! I guess our nation was really looking for something to smile about, and Mickey helped!
My one take away was how little he seemed to worry about the money side of his dreams...
Quality seemed to be the driving force behind all.
Has anyone else read this? I highly recommend it for those that have not selected their summer reading list!

MickeyandTink
06-14-2007, 08:12 PM
Sounds interesting. What's the title?

On a side note, I'm currently reading a book about the Disney Imangineers. A lot of photos and great excerpts about the history behind a lot of the rides and other things in the parks. It's more of a "coffee table" book, but still fun to read and learn.:D

grumpyguy
06-15-2007, 07:50 AM
i have read the book and i have watched walts dvd chronicaling his life and work.i am inspiried by walt's drive and often thankful for what he and his "true" friends have created for
us.in the face of banktrupcy (multiple times) and all the other adversity he faced he trusted himself and his instincts that doing what was right is the way to go.yeah i know wdw is a business ya-da-ya-da-ya-da.but it is a source of joy for me on many levels.i hesitate to think what kind of earth would this be without all the
wonderful things walts drive created for us.
gg out!!

Frog
06-15-2007, 10:36 AM
Sorry I left out the title...
Walt Disney: An American Original
By: Bob Thomas

I would be interested in the title of the imagineers book...
I'm Reading an Ambrose book right now, but would not mind getting some scoop on some of what they were thinking as they developed some of the rides and such!

caryrae
06-15-2007, 01:49 PM
Sorry I left out the title...
Walt Disney: An American Original
By: Bob Thomas

I would be interested in the title of the imagineers book...
I'm Reading an Ambrose book right now, but would not mind getting some scoop on some of what they were thinking as they developed some of the rides and such!

I think the book is called "Disney Imagineering: A Behind-The-Dreams Look At Making The Magic Real"

If you haven't seen it one of the best dvd's about Walt Disney has to be "Walt The Man Behind The Myth. Very good.

Another good book I read years ago is "Since The World Began: Walt Disney World's First 25 Years"

Not2Loud
06-15-2007, 07:10 PM
I am reading the biography currently. Its amazing how single minded he really was.

Frog
06-18-2007, 05:17 PM
Fun story to go along with this...
and it fits Fathers Day!
My Dad (lets say he is in his 60's) saw that I was reading the book one weekend when we were at a get together. He let me know he had read it moons ago and asked what my take was so far. We discussed the book, and I learned something about my dad that I did not know before. He is a huge Walt fan. Not so much of the park part, more the man and his accomplishments part (Dad grew up in California watching Walt). I saw similiarities between Walt and my dad as I read, and even more so after our discussion.
My dad shared with me that he really wanted to attend the Disney "Institute" when he was a young buisness man(do they still have this?).
To end this story, I will add that my dad (with lots of help from mom) started from scratch and run a Christian Adventure camp that will see 700+ kids come through this summer...
He is not as well known as Walt, but he is making an impact on families!