PDA

View Full Version : Archaeologists discover Iron Age Mickey Mouse

PiratesCove
06-14-2007, 04:39 PM
Archaeologists discover Iron Age Mickey Mouse
Published: 8th June 2007 17:00 CET
Online: thelocal.se/7544/

Swedish archaeologists have uncovered signs of a Viking precursor to Mickey Mouse. Among the objects found during excavations at Uppåkra in southern Sweden is an iron age figure bearing a strong resemblance to the classic cartoon character.

But archaeologist Jerry Rosengren from Lund University is confident that the bronze brooch - used as a clasp to fasten women's clothing - was in fact intended to represent a Lion King rather than a mere mouse.

"The find is from around 900 AD. It was probably a lion's head that originally came from France. It was however more than likely designed by somebody who had never actually seen a lion.

"Instead it turned into this sort of strange, fantasy animal," he told The Local.

Despite the cartoon coincidence, Rosengren insists there are no plans to open a Viking equivalent to Disneyland.

"No, I don't think so. But we do have a big exhibition at the Lund Historical Museum, which includes two to three thousand objects," he said.

Archaeologists have recovered a total of over 20,000 Iron Age items since digging began at Uppåkra in 1996. The town functioned as a major cultic and political centre from the first to the tenth century, at which point it was replaced by the strategically better placed city of Lund just five kilometres away.

Paul O'Mahony ([email protected]/08 656 6513)

DisneyFreak23
06-14-2007, 05:19 PM
too funny.

Even the Vikings were obsessed with Disney!:mickey:

DisneyorBust
06-14-2007, 07:37 PM
I'm sure that everyone here on Intercot has seen the mural (as you prepare to board Maelstrom in the Norway pavillion) which shows the Viking with the "Mickey Ears". :mickey:
Maybe this is historically accurate and not just an Immagineers artwork!:D

PiratesCove
06-18-2007, 12:55 PM
I'm sure that everyone here on Intercot has seen the mural (as you prepare to board Maelstrom in the Norway pavillion) which shows the Viking with the "Mickey Ears". :mickey:
Maybe this is historically accurate and not just an Immagineers artwork!:D

Yup! HAHA! :D

Diznee4Me
06-19-2007, 08:37 AM
As an archaeologist I have to say the closest to Mickey I have seen in the field is the mice that fall into our excavation units over night. :D Of course the next morning, we sometimes find rats, snakes, frogs, the ocassional salamander, and evidence that a opossum has slipped in and out. Now that I think of it, that sounds a lot like Splash Mountain!:laughing: