PDA

View Full Version : Italy or Hawaii

the real Alice
06-14-2007, 01:35 PM
My husband & i are Disney fanatics but we decided to do something different for our vacation next year. We have found 2 great vacation packages and cannot decide between them. FYI we are both in our late
20's and have no kids.

1) 10 day cruise on a very nice ship from Rome to Barcelona. includes stops in Florance, Monte Carlo St tropez France. include air, transfers, all meals & the cruise. We will have to add on excursions.

2) 8 day trip to Waikiki Beach in Hawaii. All inclusive package that includes air, hotel, tours, transfers and most meals.

When you figure in the costs for excurisions in Italy these trips come out to the same price. I have no clue which i should pick. Any suggestions? Will i get tired of walking around & looking at old buildings in Italy?

thanks for your help!
Alice

faline
06-14-2007, 01:43 PM
I've never been to Italy so can't comment on that option.

Are you and your spouse "beach" people? I don't like to lie around on a beach for any length of time. Last year, we went to Oahu and Maui. This was my second time visiting both islands though my first trip was a number of years ago.

On this last trip, we spent just three nights on Oahu and then moved over to Maui. We had a fabulous time in Oahu but I'm not sure I would have enjoyed spending 8 nights there. We spent a day exploring Pearl Harbor and the Missouri and another day touring the North Shore. I would have liked to go to the Polynesian Cultural Center but we didn't make it there. If you're hikers, you might also enjoy Diamond Head (which we didn't get to do). There are some museums and a zoo as well. Its a great place to visit and I'd love to go back but I still wouldn't plan on spending that much time on that island.

Mickey'sGirl
06-14-2007, 02:23 PM
I've had the pleasure to have visited both Hawaii and Italy. If you are beach folk who love a more relaxed pace and watersports and some of the attractions Linda lists above, then Hawaii would be a great place for you. Otherwise I would recommend Italy. It is a beautiful country and although there are about a billion churches to visit, they are all so beautiful, and differ greatly from region to region. Your old building visits would also be broken up with your time on the cruise ship. I would personally choose Italy -- but both are really beautiful vacation spots. What a terrific position to be in -- having to decide between the two! Have fun!

Jen66
06-14-2007, 04:20 PM
I love Italy!!! it is one of favorite places to visit. I wouldn't even hesitate. Hawaii is nice, but IMO it does not compare to Italy.

DisneyFreak23
06-14-2007, 05:02 PM
HAWAII!!!!

I say this only because i am OBSESSED with hawaii :cloud9:, even though i haven't been there. PICK HAWAII!! :lei:

Plus, :stitch: lives in Hawaii, you know:secret:

:D

:stitch:

Mom2princesses
06-15-2007, 10:11 AM
I have never had the pleasure of going to Italy but I have been to Hawaii! We went there on our honeymoon. It was absolutely wonderful. I would try to spend some time on another island if you can because Waikiki is more like a city. We spend most of our time in Maui. It was so much fun. We rented a condo and the beach was just about private right outside our door. It was great and very romantic. We also did lots of fun things: snorkeling, going to see the sunrise on top of a valcano, rode a helictopter to view the whole island of Maui (breaktaking). I love the beach, I love the ocean. We then spent our last few days in Waikiki where we also had fun but I did enjoy Maui better. Anyhow either trip sounds great.

Have a fun
:tikki: :lei:

princessesmom
06-15-2007, 01:57 PM
I have been fortunate enough to have traveled to Italy and Hawaii (twice). Both places are wonderful, but you are talking about two very different vacations. Pick one and do the other another time. I do agree with what others have said about spending so much time in Oahu. It is nice to see, but 8 days is too much. The other islands are so much more beautiful! I have been to Kauii, Maui, Hawaii, and Lanai. My favorite was Maui. We spent 7 nights there and could have stayed longer. I think you will enjoy either trip. It is a great position to be in.

the real Alice
06-15-2007, 02:34 PM
Thanks to all of you for your advice! We found some hidden costs in the fine print of the Italy trip that put it out of our price range.

We also looked into the advice of spending time somewhere besides Waikiki beach (my sister-in-law agrees with you too).

Our plan now is to either go to Kauai for a week or to return to a Sandals resort - we've done that before and loved it! Too may decisions to make. It's always so much easier to decide on Disney :mickey:

mickey-mouse35
06-27-2007, 07:17 PM
We are going to Oahu and Kauai for our 15 year anniversary next April. We're staying at Marriott Kauai Beach Club in Kauai but don't have ressies yet for Oahu. WOuld love to know recommendations for something under $150 a night AWAY from the action but still NEAR it (maybe near Diamond Head), as well as other general tips and must dos.
Also, does anyone know of a good Hawaii message board similar to Intercot?

Sure am spoiled--Disney in October :mickey: and Hawaii in April! :lei:

THANKS! :D

EmmMOM2
10-05-2007, 07:00 AM
I'm in my 20's as well and LOVED maui. DH and I went their for our honeymoon a year ago.. ;)
I must say it was very relaxing and fun...though i've never been to italy. I think the old buildings and charm would get older more quickly for us as we like active things...we horseback rode on an volcano, went kayaking in the ocean, snorkleing...and went to luaus etc.
It was VERY exciting..

mickeymousedabomb
10-05-2007, 07:25 AM
Never been to either but given the choice.........Hawaii. I would choose that with or without kids. I am more a tropical person, lush tropical feel, sand, beach, warm sun, oh yes Hawaii would call me there over Italy any day!! Good luck choosing!

murphy1
10-05-2007, 07:33 AM
We went to Hawaii (Maui, Kauai and Oahu) at about your age. It is so relaxing, I LOVED it there! I have Italy on my list for a future trip. I took two years of Latin in HS and am really into all the art and history of the Tuscany/Florence region. My friends say the food is FAB. We are thinking about going to Ireland next year for a week.

Advnt05
10-10-2007, 02:49 PM
I'm kind of the opposite of most here. Never been to Hawaii and have been to Italy twice. I'm enamored with Italy now and am trying to learn the language to go back again soon. You never get tired of the older buildings. Florence is the art capital of the world. You have museums of masterpieces, then you have statues, and finally you have the many churches. Don't even get me started on the food. There are markets everywhere and great wine. But most of all, the people are wonderful. I've been to Rome, Florence, Venice, and Sienna with Florence being my favorite so far. Hope to hit Southern Italy next.

Keep in mind that the dollar is very weak now with the Euro. It's about $1.70 dollars for every euro. That adds up.

Ah...the vino...lemoncello...gelato..:cloud9: