PDA

View Full Version : A Medical Question...

tyandskyesmom
06-13-2007, 03:13 PM
Ok so I woke up this morning feeling fine, just another morning...until I got up! I felt like a Weeble! I was almost immediately nauseaus, had a head ache, and was freezing but swaeting at the same time. Idid not think I was going to be able to get down the 13 stairs to the bathroom without falling...I eventually did but very slowly and holding on very tightly. I laid on the couch for bout an hour and felt no better. I had Tyler ready to call my mom if needed...I was really scared. I have never felt like that before! Shortly after that Ty was getting himself some Lucky Charms and I had him pour me a small bowl and Lou came home from work (totally not related but welcome!). After forcing myself to pull my head up long enough to eat the bowl of cereal, Ialmost immediately felt noticably better, not good but better. I was able to shower and get myself ready to be driven to work. I felt well enough for that by then but I don't think I would have been able to drive myself there.

I have two things that I am questionning if this could be related to...

1.) On Saturday we were out at the zoo and I did tell Lou that my Left ear was hurting. But I have not had any problem with it since. Just in the last hour or so, I have noticed it kind of throbbing...or is that just in my head because I am thinking about it?

or

2.) When I was going thru infertility treatment before having Skye, the doctor said I was boarderline diabetic and that a lot of the time that is the problem for many women. Once the insulin is regulated all of the other hormones are too and then they get pregnant. We stopped the treatment because we got up to invetro and we were not willing to go that far for a second child. But, I went on Atkins (which is basically removing all sugar from your body) and did real well for about 2-3 months until i stopped loosing weight and 2 months later found out I was pregnant! So I think I may be boarderline-full blown diabetic somehow but all my glucose tests come back normal...even during pregnancy. No one else (besides the infertility guy) has been willing to run an Insulin level though, just glucose levels. I also have a strong family history of diabetes...

Or could it be totally something unrelated to either of those things???

DisneyDog
06-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Any chance you've been bitten by a tick recently? My DH is currently suffering from Lyme Disease. This can have so many different symptoms it's not even funny. Just a thought...

Flower
06-13-2007, 03:49 PM
Given your families diabetic history and your ups and downs with glucose levels, I'd ask to be referred to an Endocrinologist.

You don't mention it either, but with the fertility problems do you have PCOS? (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) One drug that helps regulate PCOS is metformin - a diabetic drug.

I hope you are feeling better! I would be sure to get it checked out.

kakn7294
06-13-2007, 04:15 PM
Hi Sherry! It sounds like you might have either picked up some kind of nasty little bug or have had an episode with a low blood sugar or both. If you are borderline diabetic, infections and viruses can really play havoc with blood sugar levels, even in those of us who are not diabetic, but especially in those who are. I highly recommend getting yourself to your doctor ASAP. If it happens again and you aren't able to see your doctor right away, you might want to consider heading to the nearest emergency room and get your blood sugar level checked. Let me know how you are. I'll PM you in a few days to nag you if I don't hear from you!

DisneyDudet
06-13-2007, 07:04 PM
I would think you had a hypoglycemic episode. The symptoms you are describing pretty much lead me in that direction. Either your body had too much insulin or not enough sugar. Had you eaten before bed? Also, Atkins is horrible on the body, but great for weight. I do not promote a low carb diet to anyone, regardless of health (people ask me all the time... of course since I'm a nurse, I'm also a doctor... crazy people).

Anywho, since you say the symptoms went away after you ate, I would pretty much conclude you had a hypoglycemic episode. Diabetes would mean your sugars are really high.

You can go to Target and get an inexpensive glucose monitor with strips if you feel like this might be the case. This would give a doctor a good idea about your symptoms when you go. Also, they have some quick sugar tablets as well, which you can put in your purse for when you feel this feeling again.

This is a little riddle that we learned in school for determining high and low blood sugar:
"Cold and clammy, need some candy"
"Hot and dry, sugar high."

A lot of people complain of being hot when their sugar is low, but its probably due to the sweating and the clammyness.

In any event, you should make an appt. to see your dr. This way you can be sure of what the problem is.

With your ear, if you had an inner ear infection, you could have symptoms of dizziness, nausea, and vomiting, called vertigo or Meniere's Disease. This has to do with the little area in your ear that deals with feeling of balance. It houses a special fluid that makes you feel balanced and steady. Those with Meniere's Disease have a malfunction in this area of the ear, and have issues with balance and other symptoms.

At any rate, make an appointment and see your doctor as soon as you can. Keep us posted!

ElenitaB
06-13-2007, 07:09 PM
Please go see a doctor. When younger, I was hypoglycemic so some of this sounds familiar. However, nauseous, headache, freezing and sweating at the same time, dizzy... all sounds like the episodes when my blood pressure would drop.

I'm a PhD not an MD (made a wrong turn on my way to grad school ;) ) so please go see the real thing!

mrsgaribaldi
06-14-2007, 06:44 AM
I agree with DisneyDudet 100%

PS: I love that little riddle,
"cold and clammy, need some candy
hot and dry, sugar high"

I never heard that in school, it's so cute.

I hope you feel better:thumbsup:

crazypoohbear
06-14-2007, 07:37 AM
Please get to the doctor. Like everyone else said it sounds like it's two unrelated things
inner ear infections
low blood sugar.
I'd INSIST that your doctor run every test there is to check for diabetic issues. Especially since it runs in your family.
Keep us posted.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-17-2007, 12:02 AM
It sounds like me when I was dehydrated. Except it took more than getting food/liquid in me to feel better. My sister had to take me to get an IV.
I hope you've gone to the doctor by now and started tests to see what's wrong. Keep us posted.

disneydeb
06-18-2007, 12:47 AM
About ten years before I developed full blown diabetes, I had bouts of hypoglycemia. See an endocrinologist ASAP. Good Luck!