PDA

View Full Version : Chamomile Tea

ShelbyAD
06-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Has anyone ever tried Chamomile Tea? Does it really relax you and help you sleep?

I've been having problems sleeping lately and was thinking of trying this. Don't want to take any medication to help sleep.

Any other suggestions to help sleep? :sheep:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-13-2007, 11:43 AM
I tried it and it didn't work for me. If you do try it, make sure you DON"T put sugar in it! That defeats the purpose.
You could also try spraying your pillowcase with lavendar or put a lavendar sachet under your pillow.
I also take just one (1) Simply Sleep by the makers of Tylenol. It's not addicting and one is enough to help me sleep at least 5 uninterupted hours. I don't take it on Friday or Saturday nights unless I have to get up early. And it doesn't have the pain relief in it like Tylenol PM. I don't have any pain so I don't need that.
I also use a fan year around for white noise. That helps too. Also room darkening shades.
Good luck. Not sleeping well is no fun!

aprilisis
06-13-2007, 12:43 PM
I have had problems sleeping since I was about 16. I have tried a lot: chamomile, melatonin, Tylenol PM, and some prescriptions. The chamomile and the melatonin did not work at all for me, the Tylenol PM made me feel "spinny", and the prescriptions made me sleepwalk & eat stuff I normally would not eat- this is also while I was sleeping. My doctor finally gave me a new prescription that works, but it gives me either strange dreams or nightmares every night. The only thing that has ever worked well for me is exercising after work. I used to stop off at the gym every day after work and do some cardio.
This is just me, though- everyone reacts differently to different things. I think it just depends on your body chemistry. It wouldn't hurt to try the chamomile. My Aunts actually swear by that stuff. I feel for you, though- not sleeping is awful. Good luck!

disneydrmr
06-13-2007, 01:31 PM
I drink a cup of Celestrial Seasons SleepyTime Tea ... it could be a coincidence, it could be the tea - but when I do drink it I always seem to have a good nights sleep. I always keep Tylenol PM on hand also just in case... though after reading the previous post I'll pick up some of that Simply Sleep....

jennbunn
06-13-2007, 01:37 PM
my dr had me use sleepy time tea and the chamomile when i was pregnant with hunter. they worked for me and i still use them. i also tried the sleeping pills and did not like the drugged feeling i felt in the a.m good luck in finding the right sleep aid!!!!!

Flower
06-13-2007, 01:56 PM
I usually drink chamomile tea during the day and it does not make me sleepy.

January-2007
06-13-2007, 03:24 PM
I like Chamomile tea, but I've never noticed it making me sleepy either. I sleep great with no help! I think clearing your mind would be a good thing to focus on, when I was out of work a couple years ago I had trouble sleeping, but it was just because I was up stressing over everything. Try not to watch tv the two hours before you go to bed or read anything too involved, it will get your mind working and you will stay up thinking about it long after you want to sleep. Good luck in your quest for a good night's sleep.

crazykids
06-13-2007, 09:22 PM
When I first started drinking it, it made me very sleepy. After a while, its effects wore off & now it doesn't make me tired at all. In fact, I enjoyed the taste so much, I drink it all the time now. You can also try taking melatonin, it's a natural sleep aid & I have heard from others that it works quite well.

crazypoohbear
06-14-2007, 07:42 AM
I use the tylenol PM. I have constant neck and back pain so I need the pain reliever too.

I never really had an issue with sleep until the last year or so.

I guess you can only turn 29 for so many years before mother nature catches up to you:blush::secret:
My doctor says this is normal for perimenopause:( ( which can last for years:confused:)

ShelbyAD
06-14-2007, 08:44 AM
Oh man, last night by 7pm I could not keep my eyes open. I was in bed by 7:30pm! I slept aaalllll night! With the exception of my dog (Shelby) waking me up at 1:30am to go potty. I woke up this morning at 4:45am and still a little sleepy. I feel fine now.

Believe it or not, I didn't take anything - I guess just the pure exhaustion was enough for me to sleep all night. I got 9 hours of sleep. :D

I have longs days ahead of me though. I am working today until 6pm, then have an appointment at 7pm, probably won't be home until 8:30pm. Tomorrow I am off, but I am doing a craft show on Saturday and will be getting ready for that. I have to finish taking pictures of my stuff, pricing them, putting them on displays, printing business cards, making post cards, etc. Saturday I will be leaving my house by 5AM, won't be home until 6:30pm. Sunday the girls & I will be making my DH dinner. Main dish, side dishes, dessert, etc. So we will be busy on Sunday.

My next day off does not come until July 4th & 5th.

snowflakegirl
06-15-2007, 01:25 PM
I'm glad to hear that you got a good night's sleep, but boy you sound like you'll be busy over the next few weeks!

I like Celestial Seasoning's Sleepytime or Tension Tamer teas to help relax me so that I can go to sleep. I've also used Valerian root supplements, which are supposed to ease insomnia as well. I tried Tylenol PM once a long time ago and had bizarrely freaky dreams that just left me feeling unsettled in the morning. I don't know if it was actually connected to that or not, since that was the only time I used it.