PDA

View Full Version : Grosvenor: Yes or NO

ytzking
06-11-2007, 05:06 PM
:cool:Cast : DH - Me (43)
DW - (??)
DD1- (15)
DD2 - (9)
Hi everybody. I've been reading the postings for weeks but just registered. I'm arriving August 2nd for 14 nights in the area. I have a 1 BR booked at the BWV from the 4th - 11th. I'm a DVC member and know that this will be fine. Here's my question. :confused:I saw a deal for the Grosvenor on Travelocity that I couldn't pass up ( for the nights of the 2nd and 3rd). After reading postings here and on other web sites I'm having second thoughts. Does anybody have any experience, positive or negative. Thanks

Past Trips
Oct 87 - Off Prop.
Oct 88 - Off Prop.
May 90 - Swan
May 91 - Off Prop.
Oct 94 - POFQ (Before Merge)
May 95 - AS / Music
May 96 - AS / Sports
May 99 - CSR
Sept 99 - BWV ( Became Members)
Oct 2000 - BWV
Aug 01 - DLR / Grand Californian
Aug 02 - BWV
Aug 04 - BWV
Aug 06 - BWV
Upcoming Aug 07 - Grosvenor and BWV

Here we go again...
06-11-2007, 11:45 PM
We stayed there 1 time due to a great special we found. When we arrived we were surprised to find additional charges on the bill for internet usage (we did not use) and newspaper (we did not ask for or read). The charge was $15 per night. That put us back at the the same rate we would have paid to stay on Disney property.
After a long talk with the manager we had the charges removed and vowed to never to stay there again. At that time the rooms were very dirty and the whole place needed updating. I have heard that it has been done.... I still do not think I would stay there again.

Busses were very slow. The Grosvener was the last pick up in the morning so we had to wait for 2 or 3 busses to get to the park. We usually ended up walking to Downtown Disney and taking a bus from there. The only problem was that those busses started running at 9am so early breakfasts were out of the question.

I have heard good and bad.... I am sorry to say we were with the bad. We will not be back. But, you never know... you might have a wonderful stay.

kdkhopper
06-12-2007, 12:09 AM
Never stayed there but did go to their dinner mystery theater - had an absolutely fabulous time at that, but I don't think I would stay there. This was about a year ago and the biggest thing that sticks in my mind was that it was a bit run down and smelled like cigarette smoke. I've also heard that they're renovating so I can't say what it's like now.

wdwfan
06-12-2007, 07:27 AM
We stayed there couple years ago and would never stay again. The grounds and pool area were well maintained & pretty, but the room wasn't the greatest. Hated the elevator too!

Flower
06-12-2007, 08:23 AM
We got a 'good deal' with Expedia a few years back. We only stayed 2 nights and that was because they would not credit us for the second night, but we were able to get refunded for the remaining 10 or so nights. We switched those 10 nights to an All-Star resort and staying 45 minutes away at our in-laws.

The room was DIRTY, there had been food left in the refridgerator, there were hairs in the bathroom (Alot), I did not like the windows/curtains. The carpet was disgusting.

We just did not feel like we were at Disney. After that experience, it is only on-site for us, or staying at DH's parents house.

ytzking
06-12-2007, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the responses. As far as the transport goes ,I already rented a car. The Disney transport inside the resort is good but I like to be on my own timetable. I heard about the renovations and I figured if I get a bad room I'll push them for a move right away. I heard that Travelocity is pretty good if you call them at check-in with your complaints. Hopefully I won't have to **** it up :ack:for two nights before moving on to The Boardwalk.

robvarwhite
06-13-2007, 02:30 PM
We transferred there one year after a disastrous night at the All-Star Sports in which there was spring break and apparently there was an entire high school class unchaperoned. They were banging on the 2nd-flood railing and making unbelievable noise at the pool. The hotel staff was apologetic but seemed inept to handle it.

Anyway. Grosvenor was a great change from that debacle. The room was nice and the hotel was quiet. We had a car so transportation wasn't a problem. Obviously, you lack the ambience of mainstream Disney resorts but it was nice.