PDA

View Full Version : lyme disease

DisneyDog
06-11-2007, 01:58 PM
Anyone here ever have Lyme disease? My DH was just diagnosed with it. He started developing symptoms last week, including facial palsy. He's now on antibiotics.

Anyone ever dealt with this before?

DREAMADREAM93
06-11-2007, 02:02 PM
My little sister just got over lyme disease. She had a huge rash on her face and all over her torso and arms. She was on anti-biotics for three weeks and it took her about a week before she began to feel better. i hope your DH gets better soon!

JOrdan :]

pshokie
06-11-2007, 02:15 PM
Not such good news over here. :( My DW was diagnosed almost 3 years ago. Apparently, she acquired hers from well water as a child. She went on some pretty rigorous oral anti-biotics (doxy, i think?). Anyway, that "took care of it", and we could have a second child. But while she was pregnant, it came back with a vengence. She was doing the IV bags until recently (made her feel great and horrible, a real craps-shoot). She opt'ed not to continue the IV, the good did not outweigh the bad.

She has never had any musculitory or skin problems. Her's always maifested as arthritic issues. Sometimes it hurts just to walk around.

Wishing you DH all the best. :pixie:

Carol
06-11-2007, 06:40 PM
My oldest son was diagnosed 2 years ago and we just recently found out our dog also has Lyme. (We use the topical preventative on the dog and she still got it. :unsure: )

It can have many symptoms. My son could hardly walk. He was on medication for a month. Make sure you read the prescription. Jer could not go out in the sun while being treated. The treatment can be very successful - if the disease is caught soon.

Good luck. I hope your husband feels better soon.

Marilyn Michetti
06-11-2007, 07:50 PM
DD was diagnosed with Lyme in 1987 while she was in High School. She was the third DOCUMENTED case in the Phila. area, and they didn't know as much about it then. She was put on antibiotics for a two week period, was allergic to the Tetrecycline, and it was discontinued. They tried other medications, and the disease went into remission.

Sadly, they're finding out, years later, that the Lyme virus remains in the auto-immune system, (like M.S., Lupus, etc.), and has periods of excerbations and remission. Medications have improved the chances of a one time flare-up if it is treated aggresively at the onset. DD will have on-going problems, (probably), for the rest of her life, but her symptoms are managed by diet, common sense lifestyle, and a positive mental attitude.

It's not a death sentence - it's a virus, and your DH will hopefully be fine with good medical care.
:thumbsup:

DisneyDog
06-13-2007, 01:25 PM
It's been an exhausting few days. I'm pretty sure we caught the Lyme early, so that is good. He is getting a little bit better every day. I ended up rushing home on Monday to take care of him, as he ended up with a crippling migraine. I was home all day yesterday,too. I can't even fathom how many trips I've made up and down the stairs in the past few days. I also have a 4 year old DS who is at preschool all day, but the nights are just exhausting for me to have to take care of everyone. Thankfully, DH was sitting up in a chair and working on his laptop when I left the house for work this afternoon. He's doing a bit better, and I can finally breath for the first time in days.

5fromabove
06-13-2007, 05:25 PM
Hope your DH feels better soon. My DD had a pretty nasty case of Lyme a few years ago. She had gotten it while on a Girl Scouts camping trip. She had the typical "bullseye" rash and it was accomanied by fever and horrible body aches. She was up at night in tears because her joints hurt so bad. She was placed on anti-biotics for 21 days. Unfortunately, ticks are very common in Cape Cod and I'm sure one of our other kids will be exposed at some point to Lyme as well. At least we know what to look for (symtoms wise). Again, hope he feels better quickly. :)

Grumpy's Daughter
06-15-2007, 09:20 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry, Jill! Tell Jeff that I'm thinking of him! Yes, we live down in "Tick-ville" in NJ- DH has had Lymes, and we do a nightly tick check. It's just a fact of living where the deer are- there such beautiful animals, but they cause so much havoc! I hope that Jeff's back on the mend!

Dakota Rose
06-16-2007, 09:20 PM
When we lived in CA, we had a close friend contract lyme disease. The doctors weren't familiar with lyme disease, so she went on for a few months while they tried to figure out what she had. That was the worst part. Once they figured it out and got her on the proper treatment, she got better fairly quickly and hasn't had any flare ups since. Good thing you caught it early! I hope he's well very soon and stays that way!