PDA

View Full Version : Cabin or Wilderness Lodge deluxe room

Erica9901
06-10-2007, 08:54 PM
hi!
OK, I can't decide! We're a family of 6 - kids are 6, 3, 2 & 1. So, if it were your family, would you choose the cabins or WL deluxe, and why? (Or a different one entirely?)
We have stayed at the Poly, Boardwalk, Swan & All-Star

Thanks so much for any input!
Erica

Disneyfun
06-10-2007, 10:13 PM
The WL would be my favorite, but you may want to consider Port Orleans Riverside. The kids would love the pool, the only downside is that I do not believe that they have deluxe room that would fit you all so you would need 2 rooms that connected.

Another option would be the Beach Club! The sand bottom Stormalong Bay with the capsized ship/waterslide into the pool would be a big hit with the kiddos! They have deluxe rooms and are real close to EPCOT too!

Just my :twocents:!

Erica9901
06-10-2007, 10:24 PM
thanks!:mickey:
You know, last time we went in January we didn't get to swim! I've heard a lot of really good things about the pool at the BC, so I want to stay there when we go in the warmer months...

TammiMcMan
06-10-2007, 10:29 PM
If money wasn't an issue, I'd go with the WL deluxe/junior suite. That gives you a separate bedroom for nap time, while you enjoy the living room or balcony. It also comes with concierge benefits, which means pre-planning vacation assistance and a nice lounge for breakfast and snacks throughout the day.

If it's not in the budget, then the cabins are a nice second choice. Again, you have the separate sleeping area for the kids and a full kitchen to prepare your own snacks.

WelshieLover
06-11-2007, 09:45 AM
Another option is one of the DVC villas. I would look into either VWL, BWV or BCV for their location. You could get a 1 bedroom and even bring a blow up mattress or 2. The kids could nap in the Master bedroom and you could relax on the baclony or in the living room without disturbing them. Great pools at all locations. If size is important OKW hands down has the biggest suites with really large balconies. I could live in a 1 bedroom there without getting claustraphobic.

CU Tiger
06-11-2007, 01:14 PM
We are big fans of the Cabins in FW! :thumbsup: The six of us (2 kids, 4 adults) have stayed there each of the past 4 years and love it. We like having the kitchen, the deck, and the quietness of FW. There is also so much to do in this area. Unlike at the other resorts, you are able to let your kids play outside while you are either chilling on the deck or inside getting ready to go to one of the parks. :mickey:

TammiMcMan
06-11-2007, 02:53 PM
You could get a 1 bedroom and even bring a blow up mattress or 2. Unfortunately, I don't think Disney will allow them to book a 1 bedroom DVC unit. Maximum occupancy for non-members is 4 guests + 1 child under the age of three. Because they have two children under the age of three, one does get counted towards the occupancy limit.

KAT1811
06-11-2007, 10:46 PM
I guess I would say the cabins just because if one or more child is napping and another is up you can play outside or go for a walk. Plus they have the ELP from the beach at FW and the campfire at night with Chip and Dale!!! :chipdale: :camp:

slegrant
06-11-2007, 10:55 PM
:mickey:Fort Wilderness Cabins would be my first choice, my wife and I have three kids and it is just awesome. Great atmosphere!!!

Yeah my 30th post!!!!

6/21/07-7/9/07 Fort Wilderness

Disneyfun
06-12-2007, 12:12 AM
Another option is the larger rooms at Saratoga Springs! We took a tour and they have a two story condo that can sleep 10! This might be a little overkill though! :secret:

Not2Loud
06-12-2007, 10:17 AM
We are fans of the cabins!! We spent 9 days there in Feb with 4 adults and 1 child.

We had a great time. It was nice to have a truly quiet place to retreat to.

Erica9901
06-12-2007, 04:38 PM
Wow!
You guys are great, thanks for all the information!
I am going to do a little more research and check out the OKW and the 2 story condo at Saratoga. BTW, overkill is good with all those boys, and I forgot that they'll all be a year older than the ages I posted in the first message (except the baby)...
TTYS
Erica
*planning our Jan 08 trip*

CaptSmee
06-12-2007, 06:15 PM
Wilderness Lodge. We've stayed at the cabins and thought they were not as convenient as we thought they would be. Other than being near River Country (which was open at the time) and being able to boat to the Magic Kingdom, nothing else was very convenient to get to.

TammiMcMan
06-12-2007, 06:26 PM
Just to give you an idea of the difference in rates:

FW Cabin - accomodates 6 - $250 per night

WL Deluxe - accomodates 6 - $485 per night (and it includes concierge service...)

SSR 2 bedroom unit - accomodates 8 - $515

SSR Grand Villa - accomodates 12 - $1135 (the grand villas are very hard to book though)

Auntie
06-12-2007, 09:01 PM
My mom, my niece and sister with her two children stayed in a suite at the WL. It had two queen beds in one room and a sitting area with a sofa bed in the other. The room accomodated 6. It was not concierge.

As far as the cabins...they are somewhat removed from the amenities of the campground, and with very little ones, they can be difficult to get around. As you will need to take a bus just to go to the pool. I found that inconvienent. Certainly..you can walk...but with little ones..it's going to be a long walk. I would advise renting one of their golf carts. They are fun, and make getting around from the cabin loops much easier. It really depends on what you are looking for. It is great for the kids..as you have the campfire movie each evening. Usually Chip and Dale appear and then a movie.

TammiMcMan
06-12-2007, 09:30 PM
My mom, my niece and sister with her two children stayed in a suite at the WL. It had two queen beds in one room and a sitting area with a sofa bed in the other. The room accomodated 6. It was not concierge.Yes, that's the deluxe/junior suite. It's a great layout. Just within the past 6 months or so, that room category has been added to the concierge club level.

Auntie
06-12-2007, 09:38 PM
Does that mean it is not available without being concierge?...It wasn't located on the 7th floor. They didn't care for it..the sofa bed was AWFUL. It was okay for little ones..but no adult would want to lay on it. Also..the balcony was not to their liking. You needed to stand to see over it, it was stone..not rails. Sort of a claustrophobic feeling to it. It originally had a view of Bay Lake..but the tree's had long since grown blocking any real view. We recently returned from the WL a couple of weeks ago..and I'd much prefer two rooms we had with the added benefit of two bathrooms! This was our first visit since the rooms have been renovated..and we were very pleased. They were quite lovely. We enjoyed our view of the Villa Pool.

TammiMcMan
06-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Does that mean it is not available without being concierge?...It wasn't located on the 7th floor.That's correct, it automatically comes with concierge service. None of these rooms are located on the 7th floor, but your room key would gain you access.

Also..the balcony was not to their liking. You needed to stand to see over it, it was stone..not rails.I think I know what area of the resort they were in. There are something like 4 deluxe rooms that have the enclosed railing. They don't all come that way. I definitely prefer open balconies myself.

Erica9901
06-15-2007, 03:56 PM
OK, the kids REALLY want the cabins...

I am a little worried about the accessibilty. If we rent golfcarts, is it OK - I mean getting to the pool/restraunts/giftshops/transportation stations???? Can you rent them for the duration or do you have to return them every day?

TammiMcMan
06-15-2007, 04:29 PM
I am a little worried about the accessibilty. If we rent golfcarts, is it OK - I mean getting to the pool/restraunts/giftshops/transportation stations???? Can you rent them for the duration or do you have to return them every day?Accessibility was not an issue at all. The golf carts can be rented for your entire vacation and don't need to be returned nightly. If you have a rental car, you can park it right at the cabin for ease in getting to some of the parks or downtown Disney if you want to avoid the buses.

Auntie
06-15-2007, 05:04 PM
In my opinion Golf Cart Rental GREATLY increases accesibility to all those things. We did rent them after a couple of days..and we were much happier.(although not cheap..they are fun!) Going to the MK is the easiest..and most pleasant. You can take your cart to the marina area and board the water launch to MK. It is a lovely, and liesurely way to reach the park. We actually drove to the other parks..since we had our own car. Although..bus to MGM is direct from the settlement/marina area..and that is very convenient also. There are parking areas for your golf carts at both the Settlement, and Meadow Trading Post areas.