PDA

View Full Version : DVC upgrades?

locodemickey
06-09-2007, 09:21 PM
I was on accommodations and noticed that people staying at the POP were getting a free upgrade to a 1 bedroom at the OKW or Saratoga. What are the odds that they would upgrade a member? It would seem more fair to upgrade those in studios to 1 bedrooms and then give the POP people the studios. Or is it “now that we’ve got ‘em, no more upgrades!”

Maleficent's Dad
06-09-2007, 09:57 PM
I've got to tell you, I've not heard of many (if not any) DVC members getting upgrades. We've used our points, and Disney knows we're good customers no matter what... From a business standpoint, why would/should they upgrade us?

On the other hand, it would make me (and my family) a HAPPIER CUSTOMER! ;) But since they've already got me as a "near permanent" consumer of their goods, they don't need to offer too much more to entice me...

Hopefully another DVC member may reply with an "upgrade story!" :mickey:

Sharon1026
06-10-2007, 09:56 AM
Mal - I agree with you 100% They aren't going to upgrade us - we already paid.

I wonder if Disney looks at people who have stayed on property "X" number of times, then upgrades them to a DVC resort and tries to entice them to buy... For example if a family has stayed on property for 3 out of the last 5 years, they are more likely to upgrade them to a dvc resort to get them into a contract...

just a thought. What do you think?

Ian
06-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Mal - I agree with you 100% They aren't going to upgrade us - we already paid.

I wonder if Disney looks at people who have stayed on property "X" number of times, then upgrades them to a DVC resort and tries to entice them to buy... For example if a family has stayed on property for 3 out of the last 5 years, they are more likely to upgrade them to a dvc resort to get them into a contract...

just a thought. What do you think?I think this is an excellent suggestion and it's definitely something Disney should be doing if they aren't already.

I'm always surprised, though, how little CRM (customer relationship management) work Disney actually does. They seem to be operating on an unbelieveably antiquated system there that doesn't seem to know much about each individual guest.

Sharon1026
06-10-2007, 07:56 PM
Thanks Ian,
I know that in the DVC resorts, Disney has a dvc channel to promote dvc. I assume it's at the other resorts, too.

They could really market it more, if they wanted.

I know that we stayed on site quite a few times in the last 5 years and did not get any dvc marketing info. I think that Disney could easily filter their database to reach out to those people...

CarolMN
06-11-2007, 08:57 AM
The upgrades are occuring because there are still many people calling who want to book a September stay in the value resorts. The values are full.

The upgrades have nothing to do with member inventory and do not negatively impact members.

Disney CRO has quite a bit of availability in the SSR & OKW cash inventories for studios and 1 bedrooms. (Cash inventory is completely separate from member inventory). Disney resorts decided to upgrade some of the guests booked in the values to make room for more guests in the value category. Since the cash rooms would otherwise go empty, this is a win for both guest and Disney.

September is a slow period for Disney resorts and parks and it is hurricane season. Thus DIsney offers the free dining to attract more guests. The upgrades are a result of resort management's desire to increase revenue - it is not a DVC sales technique (although that could certainly be a nice by product)!

It is very rare for DVC to upgrade members. When it does happen, it is usually because there is no choice - for example, the resort is fully booked and there is some sort of unanticipated maintenance problem with the room originally booked.

I think this is a good policy. Imagine the unrealistic expectaions and hard feelings that upgrading members would create - plus unreserved member inventory is sent to CRO at the 60 day mark and is used to offset our dues. I think it is better to use the unreserved member inventory to reduce our dues than to give a member a free upgrade. My opinion. Yours may differ.