PDA

View Full Version : Rethinking my hotel!!! Help me please!

Suzibell1968
06-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Family of 5, kids ages 4, 7 & 9

Reservation is at POR.

I know there are few options for families of 5.

What is causing me to rethink my plan is ease/difficulty of transportation to and from the parks from POR. We will be using Disney transportation mostly, though we will have our vehicle. We will be returning daily for mid-day breaks.

I think pool at POR will be fine (are others better? zero entry would be a plus), food options should be ok (are others better?), room size is a non-issue as we won't be in it enough to matter.

For a family of 5...
If you were basing your stay on the pool, where would you stay?

If you were basing it on transportation ease, where would you stay?

If you were basing it on resort amenities/activities, where would you stay?

Obviously, if you were basing it on money, you'd stay at POR?

Thanks for any opinions!

#1disneyfan
06-08-2007, 06:18 PM
If you were basing your stay on the pool, where would you stay?
~We loved the AKL pool, which is zero entry. The resorts all have some sort of a themed pool and are all great.

If you were basing it on transportation ease, where would you stay?
~I would stay anywhere on the monorail line. We loved the Poly and it was very nice to just hop on the monorail to Epcot and MK. However, if I ever stay there again, I would request a building closer to the Main House.

If you were basing it on resort amenities/activities, where would you stay?
~I can't help you here simply because we never really hang out at the hotel much. We are always in the parks pretty much until closing, and hit the pools after for a little relaxing time.

Obviously, if you were basing it on money, you'd stay at POR?
~POR is a beautiful moderate resort, and in fact we have ressies there for one night in July (after our stay at an outside timeshare :( )

Have a great vacation, and I think whatever resort you choose, you will have a great time!

Kairi_7378
06-08-2007, 06:19 PM
POR has fantastic transportation. It is one of the most centrally located resorts. (Getting to AK takes a little longer, though.) If you stay there you have the added bonus of being able to take a boat ride to and from DTD!

DestinationWDW
06-08-2007, 06:42 PM
Our family is similiar - DH, DW, 11, 9 and 3 year old....always stay at POR in AB section and LOVE it......no problems with pool, transportation, or anything! Only complaint would be long queues to bus at end of night, but you see that for every hotel (except monorail line). Unless you have funds to upgrade to deluxe on monorail line, I'd say you have made a great choice!!!! Boat to DTD is great, can rent bikes/boats, carriage rides, fishing, beautiful surroundings....mod with deluxe feel!!!! Have a great vacation!:thumbsup:

krorx
06-08-2007, 06:50 PM
We have stayed in POFQ and loved it, but I have to say that it's the Poly from now on. Transportation is the main reason. We found the monorail to be well worth the extra money. But the bus service from the Poly to AK, water parks and MGM was HORRIBLE! I was shocked because in the past we have not had this trouble. I don't know if they have cut the number of buses or what, but the waits could be as long as 30 minutes or more. We ended up driving to those places (parking is free for resort guests) and were glad we did. At the end of the night, when the line for buses was huge, we were able to jump in our car and head back to the resort within a few minutes.

Haven't really stayed at the resorts all that much for entertainment. The pool at POFQ is cute with a dragon slide. All Disney pools are well themed and fun so I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. If money is a concern, you've made an excellent choice.

jray21
06-08-2007, 08:16 PM
If you can afford it the monorail hotels are really nice. I really like POFQ. Last time I was there, 7 months ago, FQ was the first stop to pick up and drop off. So in the morning we always got a bus and at the end of the night we were the first to get off. The buses can always change their route but POR is still great in terms of transportation. I did yacht club 1 year ago and will never go back solely because of transportation. The whole boardwalk area "usually" share one bus, at least during value season. POR is a great place and you won't be disapointed.:thumbsup:

Suzibell1968
06-09-2007, 09:17 AM
Thank you! This helps a lot!

We are going August 21 so I need to hammer this out if I am going to change.

Last time we went, my kids were in a double stroller (Nov 2001) so we did Poly and LOVED it. But by staying at POR instead of Poly, we basically saved enough money to pay for the dining plan. So that is why I went with POR was because of money. PLUS I have a special post card and my room at POR is costing me $87 a night! Poly (or anywhere else) would be discounted as well, but at a rate of about $100+ a night more.

Now I am considering adding the Pirate and Princess Party, so the savings comes into play again.

So, thank you for putting me at ease with POR. :)

Spacegirl
06-09-2007, 09:26 AM
How did you get POR for $87 a night????

Suzibell1968
06-09-2007, 12:28 PM
It was from one of those special post card mailings that only certain people get. I have no idea why I got it, but it is a 40% discount pin number on the room....only during certain dates, but we made it work.

Lizzie
06-09-2007, 04:38 PM
We did POR and loved it. Never had a problem with transportation and loved the boat to Downtown Disney.

moe513
06-09-2007, 04:48 PM
For you I would say Poly. It has a zero entry pool and you would have great monorail transportation to the MK where you will probably be spending most of you time. Also, the rooms are larger than POR and the POLY has a nice day bed that is like a small twin bed. I f the POLY is too expensive the garden rooms at the Contempary are similiar. They are on the monorail and it has a day bed. You would also gain a balcony or patio which is nice.

KAT1811
06-09-2007, 05:17 PM
You'll be fine at POR. I hear that it is a beautiful resort. You are very limited with a family of 5 as far as moderate hotels are concerned. You have the boat to take you to DTD and busses everywhere else run often. Plus in August the bus ride in the airconditioner will be a great break from the heat before you're out in the parks for the day!

Personally I don't feel that upgrading to a deluxe is worth it, for us. We very rarely spend any time at the resort so why pay $2000. extra for a bed and a pillow? Just our personal opinion many on here feel that it is well worth it.

Have a great vacation. It won't matter where you sleep after all your in Disney, just have fun!!!

wilshade
06-09-2007, 09:58 PM
You have a great deal on a very good resort. No need to change your plans. Just consentrate on having fun!

tiggmom
06-10-2007, 06:35 AM
We have a family of 5 also and stayed at POR. We were very pleased with the transportation. Not long rides at all, most within 15 minutes of leaving the resort. It is a very beautiful resort as well. My then almost 4 year old loved the pool as much as the rest of us.

Sneaky Pete
06-10-2007, 08:16 PM
For our family of 6 (with infant) we were choosing between POR and FW Cabins. I finally chose FW mainly because my DW needs to get back to room quickly and easily for afternoon naps and the boat from MK seems like a much better option for that than POR. Even though we are bringing rental car also, the stories about the bus waits at POR spooked me a little.

If pool is a big deal, POR may be a better option because it has a slide and better theming.

I have young kids so I thought the pony rides, petting area and other events at FW may it a better option for us. I also like being able to park right in front of our cabin and being able to let kids play right outside the door.

Never stayed at POR but it sounds like an excellent resort.

garymacd
06-10-2007, 09:09 PM
POR has fantastic transportation. It is one of the most centrally located resorts. (Getting to AK takes a little longer, though.) If you stay there you have the added bonus of being able to take a boat ride to and from DTD!

I agree. Even our 12 year old ( a number of years ago, now) loved the trundle bed. The boat ride to DTD is great, but not as great as the beignets!

katzctkpt
06-10-2007, 11:54 PM
You'll be fine at POR. I hear that it is a beautiful resort. You are very limited with a family of 5 as far as moderate hotels are concerned. You have the boat to take you to DTD and busses everywhere else run often. Plus in August the bus ride in the airconditioner will be a great break from the heat before you're out in the parks for the day!

Personally I don't feel that upgrading to a deluxe is worth it, for us. We very rarely spend any time at the resort so why pay $2000. extra for a bed and a pillow? Just our personal opinion many on here feel that it is well worth it.
Have a great vacation. It won't matter where you sleep after all your in Disney, just have fun!!!

I agree why spend xtra $$ on a deluxe. We have a family of 5 and we've stayed at POR the last 3 yrs and are staying there again this yr. This resort is beautiful. Our whole family loves it. Even have my bil & sil staying there. It is very laid back and we stay in the AB section bldg 18. We've never waited more than 15 min to ride the bus to the parks. Now the ending park hrs when everyone is waiting to catch a bus you may have to wait a little longer or even stand on the bus but, that's with all the resorts. As soon as the parks close don't be in a rush to exit let everyone else go this will help with the wait time.

Mickey91
06-11-2007, 03:51 PM
For a family of 5...
1. If you were basing your stay on the pool, where would you stay?

2. If you were basing it on transportation ease, where would you stay?

3. If you were basing it on resort amenities/activities, where would you stay?

4. Obviously, if you were basing it on money, you'd stay at POR?

Thanks for any opinions!
1. Anywhere with a slide

2. Poly

3. POR or Poly

4. Yes. POR

I think you will like the POR. Unless you are on the monorail line, transportation just isn't all that different from anywhere else. And even the resorts on the Monorail have to take a bus to MGM and AK. I would save the money unless money is a total nonissue.