PDA

View Full Version : It's All About the Free Dining

MouseHouser
06-08-2007, 01:59 PM
Anyone else find this promo has tipped the scales?

We're now going in Sept and staying on-site. Normally we go in Dec, stay off-site to save some bucks, and book only a handful of PS's. Now I find myself (happily) building spreadsheets and planning each day, park and meal.

I'm really looking forward to spending the whole vacation inside the Disney bubble for a change and eating at so many great restaurants.

Anyone else find free dining changes everything?

Gator
06-08-2007, 03:52 PM
I would love to have the dining plan for free. The dining plan is great for the price paid. But I'll say this. There is no incentive that would get me to WDW in September or October. Prime hurricane season? Blistering hot weather? Heavy rain each day? No thanks. I'll keep to the winter and spring.

LandFan
06-08-2007, 04:02 PM
Actually we were there at the end of September for free dining for the last two years and we only had one rain shower each trip! About 10 minutes in the afternoon and done. We were on rides both times and never even noticed except things were wet when we came out. It is a bit hot (high 80's), but there are no crowds and you are on rides a lot so it's still not so bad. The free dining we had those two years was SO GREAT! We've never had it so good.

I'd go again during free dining but I teach at a school district now and can't get out until thanksgiving. : (

kakn7294
06-08-2007, 04:02 PM
I'm paying $2400 for a trip in August that we had no intentions of taking (we were not going this year) just so we could get "free" dining. Yeah, they got me (and I love it!). BTW, in Sept '05, we had beautiful weather for 9 of our 10 days - temps in the 80's but a very dry time - no rain after the first day and unbelievably low humidity for Florida in Sept.

ariel03
06-08-2007, 04:03 PM
DH and I love sept. and oct. trips. We have never had to pay for the dining plan cause they have offered it for free. We never found it to be to hot during the times we go. Must just be lucky. Free dining is a must do when ever they offer it. We'll be there.

tinksmom02
06-08-2007, 04:55 PM
For us, it absolutely is all about the free dining! The only way I could convince DH that we needed another WDW trip (we were there Jan/Feb, and I was plotting--err, planning:secret: in April), was because of the free dining offer.

SBETigg
06-08-2007, 05:21 PM
Unfortunately, it doesn't change a thing for me. We're going at the end of August and we're not getting the free dining because we check in about six days before it starts. But we roll the same way anyway-- deluxe resort, one daily table service. The free dining would just be a little nice extra savings.

Kathy, how did you get free dining. Did you book from Disney on your last trip as a special offer? Cool for you!

MMouse6937
06-08-2007, 05:25 PM
We always go in Sept so the free dining didn't sway us one way or the other. It did keep me from being limited to either CS places or off property restaurants so that's a good thing. It is a little disappointing that a lot of people will go that time of year because of the free dining, but we haven't really seen it affect crowd levels. We have always had pretty good weather too. I have to say 2005 was the worst as far as heat goes. 98 degrees every day and it wouldn't rain to at least cool it off a little bit. Yikes, sticky. But I still wouldn't trade the lack of crowds for anything!! :thumbsup:

grumpycajun
06-08-2007, 05:49 PM
Free dining is great and, yes, it's been a factor in the past. Unfortunately, we aren't able to take advantage of it this year because DS is moving up to junior high this fall, so we don't want him to miss the first few days of school like he and DD did last year. We're paying for the DDP when we go in a few weeks. It's still a big savings if you enjoy TS meals like we do.:mickey:

1EeyoreFan
06-08-2007, 05:52 PM
Free dining absolutely swayed our decision to go this year. My DH was very adament that we would not go back this year. We went quite a few times last year but our AP are now expired. He insisted our DD should be 3 before we go again. Free dining was the only was I could sway him. SO... off the the world we go in Sept.!!! I am counting the days. We went last year and had a great time-we didn't participate in the free dining though.

As for the weather, FL is hot. lol. Hurricane season starts June 1 and true the weather is unpredictable. Living in the panhandle we know this all too well. Still worth taking the chance though. :)

momofdisneyprincess
06-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Free Dining swayed me to stay in the park. We own a timeshare right outside Disney but decided to stay in the park due to free dining this year. We are banking our timeshare for next year.

septembergirl
06-08-2007, 06:21 PM
We would never be able to afford all those TS meals were it not for Free Dining and it was a great incentive to get us onsite for the first time. I know lots of people are unhappy with it but I couldn't be more thrilled :joy:!

As far as the time of year, we can take the heat (from the south:thumbsup:) but the crowds about did us in last time :mad:.

And I am having a great time planning and making ADRs!:cloud9:

DestinationWDW
06-08-2007, 07:09 PM
SBETigg, I think Kathy got her free dining plan the way we did. It was a promo offered to guests on vacation in December. :mickey: The free dining for that group starts Aug 5th. We took advantage of that too, and we weren't planning on coming this year either!!!! 58 more days!!!! :thumbsup:

AllDisney
06-08-2007, 08:09 PM
Having just been at WDW in December 06 the free dining is allowing us to go in Sept & take advantage of it.

We have never been in Sept., but willing to go and relax, eat well and swim in the pool at the end of the day.

Can't wait.

SBETigg
06-08-2007, 10:54 PM
SBETigg, I think Kathy got her free dining plan the way we did. It was a promo offered to guests on vacation in December. :mickey: The free dining for that group starts Aug 5th. We took advantage of that too, and we weren't planning on coming this year either!!!! 58 more days!!!! :thumbsup:

Thank you, that makes sense. I thought I remembered something to that effect in a previous thread. And that does make it hard to resist scheduling a new trip. Enjoy, everyone!

snifflesmcg
06-09-2007, 01:42 AM
I have to admit that the free dining did change my vacation plans. I was planning a Caribbean cruise in September or October but when I found out about the free dining again this year, it did sway me to take the cruise in (hopefully) March instead. :mickey:

Spaceship Tigger
06-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Free dining didn't affect our timing at all. We just prefer the September crowd levels now. I kind of have mixed feelings about the DDP, but since it is free it saves us some money so we have to go with it. Personally I prefer the days of no free DDP and big AP discounts.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-09-2007, 10:49 PM
We actually moved our trip out later by 13 days so that we could be there for the free dining. It was something we were hoping for so changing it those few days wasn't a big deal. And now we'll get to eat at restaurants we wouldn't normally be able to afford.