PDA

View Full Version : View From Room @ Grand Californian

IWannaBeMickey
06-08-2007, 07:41 AM
My husband is taking me to Disneyland for my 44th birthday. :party: We have reservations at the Grand Californian. We upgraded to the Downtown Disney view. Does anyone know if that is a good view or should I try to get a park view? I can't wait to go, even though it has to be on a weekend in July. This is a huge treat for me, so I just want everything to be magical.

Any room info would be greatly appreciated.

ChipDale
06-08-2007, 11:46 AM
:welcome: to INTERCOT!

That's a tricky question. I've had a "Theme Park View" before and it equated seeing the top of the Indiana Jones building.

Another time our "Theme Park View" was a look at the roof of Soarin' Over California.

Really, it's luck of the draw. With a Downtown Disney View, you should be able to sit on your balcony overlooking Downtown Disney. It can be noisy, but their patio doors are excellently sound-proofed.

Whatever you actually end up looking at, it's all good - it's a nice hotel - enjoy! :mickey:

tinkwest
06-08-2007, 06:56 PM
I have had several DTD view rooms at the GCH. I really enjoy it. I love sitting out on the balcony - watching the people coming & going throughout the day. The higher the room the better the view, IMO. Once we had a room that was right over the roof of the Libby Lu store. Not such a great view.

Remember, if you are not happy with your room for any reason, bring it up with the desk. You may be moved if your request is not unreasonable.

Have a great time!

BrerGnat
06-08-2007, 07:51 PM
Yeah, there are a lot of theme park view rooms and some have excellent views, some not so much.

I think the Downtown Disney view is the way to go, especially on the weekend. There is always live music being performed along the walk and throughout the day you can sit on your patio and enjoy the ambiance.

Avoid the standard view...some of those rooms don't even have a balcony.

Dare To Dream
06-08-2007, 09:08 PM
We are sold on a DTD view. Request the 5th floor, preferably rooms 5419 through 5447. You will be able to see the fireworks from your room and listen to the soundtrack on your tv. (Room 5421 is handicapped equipped.) These rooms are accessible from the elevators by the Napa Rose. It does not seem to be as far a walk as the other wing of DTD rooms.

IWannaBeMickey
06-09-2007, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the information everyone. I am not a big person for complaining or making a pain of myself, but how and when would you try to request a particular room like Dare to Dream suggests. Those rooms sound just perfect to me, it is just going to by my husband and myself and sitting on the balcony just the two of us sounds great. This is the first time we have every down anything like this without our boys.

Dare To Dream
06-10-2007, 03:49 PM
If you used a travel agent to make your reservation, have them call ASAP and make the specific room request. If you made the reservation, you can do it. Keep in mind you will be advised that this is a request only - no promises. Just make sure it is noted on your reservation.

If you check in before 3 your room will most likely not be available. Therefore you will not be told your room assignment. Again, stress to the cast member how important it is to you that you get one of these rooms. When you do get your room assignment, if it is not one of these rooms you can go back to the main desk and find out what the room assigner can do. Persistence may be needed - but it is well worth the effort.

One word - if you really want a room that sees the fireworks and the life of DTD, be aware that at some times of the year they do free "updgrades". They did that to us on one trip and we wound up with a lovely view of some trees. Being from Colorado that was no big deal and we really missed our fireworks/DTD room.

Hopefully you and your husband will soon be sitting on the balcony sipping wine, enjoying the fireworks.