PDA

View Full Version : Recipe from Storyteller's Cafe

bemster
06-07-2007, 09:51 PM
We ate at Storyteller's Cafe last week for breakfast, and they had an awesome carmel french toast. Does anyone happen to have a recipe? I looked at the recipes section here on Inercot, but did not see it. I'd really like to have it. Thanks!

LibertyTreeGal
06-08-2007, 05:34 PM
Caramel French Toast
Storytellers Cafe©, Disney's™ Grand Californian Hotel

(As published in Disney Magazine, Winter 2003-2004)

For the caramel sauce:
4 Tbl butter
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup heavy cream

For the vanilla sauce:
2 egg yolks
2 Tbl sugar
1 cup milk
½ vanilla bean, split and scraped

For the French toast:
1 jumbo egg
1 cup whole milk
1/8 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbl butter
8 pieces Texas toast-style thick bread

Make the caramel sauce: Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add brown sugar and mix well. Add cream and bring to a simmer. Keep warm until needed.

Make the vanilla sauce: Whisk together the yolks and sugar in a small bowl. In a saucepan, bring the milk and vanilla beans to a low boil, then remove from heat. Add a little of the heated milk to the egg mixture to temper it, then add the tempered egg mixture to the heated milk. Simmer over medium heat for a few minutes, stirring constantly, until lightly thickened, but do not boil. Transfer to a bowl and set aside in an ice bath.

In a shallow bowl, beat together egg, milk and vanilla extract. Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add a tablespoon of butter. One at a time, dip the bread slices in the milk mixture and place in the skillet. Evenly brown both sides of bread. Transfer to a plate and spread a spoonful or two of vanilla sauce on 4 slices. Top each with a second piece to create sandwiches. Cut each sandwich in half diagonally. Cover each with a couple of spoonfuls of warm caramel sauce. Serves 4.

bemster
06-13-2007, 09:47 PM
WooHoo! Thanks! I can't wait to try to make this myself! :mickey: