PDA

View Full Version : Cooking fuel at Fort WIlderness

Djscherr
06-07-2007, 05:25 PM
Now I know that you can buy charcoal at the camp store, but I was wondering if you could buy fuel for a backpacking stove as well. The reason I ask is two-fold, first of all I'm a backpacker so I have a whisperlite stove, fuel bottle, windscreen, and pot to fit it. The second reason is I absolutely have no talent with charcoal, I grew up with a propane grill and if I try cooking with charcoal it's basically the lighter fluid that cooks it all :)

I know I can't bring fuel down on the flight so that's why I'm asking if I can buy it there. I guess if I can't I'll have to make a soda can stove and bring a bottle of alchohol with to use as fuel (I think alchohol can still be brought on flights).

AuntLaura
06-09-2007, 11:59 PM
That's something I've never noticed. We're going down week of July 4. I can check it out at the Meadows Trading post, unless someone can get that info for you sooner.

mamaloya
06-10-2007, 10:19 AM
The trading post has quite a few camping items, but I can't remember if I saw any fuel there. I know they refill propane tanks. Are you talking the liquid fuel or the green propane tanks? If they don't carry it, there is a walmart not to far away. If you have a town car take you to FW, they will make a stop at a store for you.

You could always call FW yourself and ask them.

AuntLaura
07-12-2007, 12:30 PM
I looked at the Meadows Trading post when we were there recently. I'm not a camper, so not sure what you need, but they did sell a green bottle that looked liter size with fuel that was described as being compatible with Coleman type cooking stoves. Not sure if that helps. Good luck.

LKCEmom
07-20-2007, 08:32 PM
Yes, the Meadows Trading Post has the fuel for 6.99 or you can stop at WalMart and get it for about 1.99. Also ask the site workers if they have any, my husband never wanted to bring a open bottle home even if we only used it once so if we didn't see someone using an outside stove we would give it to the site person to give away.

You can get charcoal that lights right up without using lighter fluid, it works great and that is the only kind I will ever use again.

Have a great time!

Djscherr
07-25-2007, 01:16 PM
Thanks for checking for me. It sounds like the fuel they have is propane for coleman stoves. Unfortunately that doesn't work so it looks like my options are to stop at the walmart for the fuel, or to go the alcohol stove route.

For references sake, this is sort of what my stove looks like

http://a1608.g.akamai.net/7/1608/1365/2730311120cabf/away.com/gifs/gorp/gear_n/morton/dragonfly.jpg

The red bottle gets filled up with liquid fuel and you use that little stopper at the end to pressurize it.

The sort of fuel it uses is http://www.rei.com/product/614110?vcat=REI_SEARCH

(Hope those links are okay and not violating ToS)

I guess my other alternative is to watch auctions online and see if I can get ahold of the internationale version of my stove... mostly the same except it allows you to use gasoline as well :)