PDA

View Full Version : Where to eat, where not to eat, That is my ?

donsteele
06-07-2007, 04:45 PM
We have never been to WDW, so I do not know where to eat. Can you wonderful people help us plan. Keep in mind we have baby, 2 pre-teen boys and 3 teen girls. Going next Sept.

I am sure most of the sitdowns are good. :tasty: Are there any I should stay away from.:ack:
Kids are a little picky but we all like most types of food.
Also on DDP what to do about breakfast?

Most likely be at POR for 10 days.

Thanks

Iluvpooh
06-07-2007, 05:06 PM
There are many more really good places to eat than bad, but I can tell you a few places NOT to eat.
Any counter service at MGM.
Also Sci-Fi Diner at MGM.

With that many kids you really should do buffets if you can.

For breakfast I suggest going to places like Main Street Bakery and using snack credits for HUGE Cinnamon Rolls & French Toast Loaf. Also you can use a CS credit for any 2 items and a drink. It is a pretty good deal for the younger kids. They can each get like a Ham Croissant and split a big juice. I also pack pop-tarts, little Debbies, ect.. for breakfast in room.

Marker
06-07-2007, 06:34 PM
With a crew like that, and some being picky, you might want to think about the food court at your resort. I don't know which resort you are using, but at least at the value and moderate resorts, the food courts have a pretty good variety of options to please a variety of tastes.

A lot of times, with the DDP, we use a counter service for a late breakfast then make our TS reservation in a 4:30 or 5:00 time frame. That makes it easier to get in at the TS restaurants. The we'll grab a snack later in the evening.

donsteele
06-07-2007, 06:38 PM
There are many more really good places to eat than bad, but I can tell you a few places NOT to eat.
Any counter service at MGM.
Also Sci-Fi Diner at MGM.

With that many kids you really should do buffets if you can.

For breakfast I suggest going to places like Main Street Bakery and using snack credits for HUGE Cinnamon Rolls & French Toast Loaf. Also you can use a CS credit for any 2 items and a drink. It is a pretty good deal for the younger kids. They can each get like a Ham Croissant and split a big juice. I also pack pop-tarts, little Debbies, ect.. for breakfast in room.

Are there any ggod places at MGM or should we eat elsewhere?

Bruegge
06-07-2007, 07:26 PM
I hate to be negative but you asked... these are all personal preferences experienced my ME not hearsay, but I'd Definatly avoid any place menioned more than once.. These guys here know their stuff....

with that in mind, from this last trip May 2007

Chef de france in Epcot

ABC Commissary in MGM (note counter service at MGM above)

That's it...

Scott

dolphinmickey9170
06-07-2007, 07:47 PM
My suggestion for at least one breakfast is Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary Resort. It is one TS per person, a buffet, and characters. Then do a CS meal for dinner.

As far as MGM, I like Mama Melrose's. We really didn't want what was on the menu, we were looking for something with an alfredo type cheese sauce. The chef made my pickey 16yo DD and I something with a four cheese sauce. Just ask your server. They will accomodate as best they can.

We also loved Whispering Canyon Cafe. And your boys will love it. Just remember to ask for ketchup.

If your kids like Pooh and friends, they have a great buffet and the MK called Crystal Palace. Another 1 TS credit per person. These are great ideas for your pickey eaters.

There is another buffet at FW called Trails End. It's a good idea for your kids too.

And don't forget to try LeCellier.....It is awesome!! Get the cheddar soup and the filet. :tasty::eat: Ok, now I'm hungry...now ya did it. Are we there yet?? 64 days
Hope this helps.

wendy*darling
06-07-2007, 08:11 PM
Are there any ggod places at MGM or should we eat elsewhere?
I don't think anyplace at MGM is terrible, but they are definitely not as noteworthy as CS places in other parks. Nothing really stands out at MGM- for most of us.

There are 5 TS places at MGM- and all have something to offer. You should read people's opinions with a grain of salt and decide for yourself. MGM restaurants probably have the most widely varied opinions of any park.

I suggest planning at least a few meals in resorts restaurants. In my opinion, they are typically better than the in-park restaurants (except for World Showcase). And they let you get a glimpse of the resorts- great for future trip planning! ;)

With a large family like yours, I agree with the previous suggestions to do a few buffets. They all have a wide variety of foods- great for picky eaters. And they allow kids to try things they would never order off a menu. If they don't like it- no problem- pick something else!

My favorite buffets:
Crystal Palace
Chef Mickey's
Hollywood & Vine
Boma

My favorite 1TS restaurants (menu);
Kona Cafe
Marrakesh (Morocco)
Chefs de France
Whispering Canyon Cafe

Ayndi
06-07-2007, 08:24 PM
I've liked the Sci-Fi, the ABC commissary and Hollywood and Vine at MGM.

The Sci-Fi has the best atmosphere of the three for kids, my kiddo loooooved it and our meals were very good.

ABC is good for a quick sit down, though it has been pretty busy when I was there.

Hollywood and Vine is a great buffet, and we did that with the Fantasmic package.

The new Sunshine Grill at The Land in Epcot has some great stuff as well, lots of fruit, milk, sushi, etc.

We used to have breakfast at The Electric Umbrella at Epcot, very quiet and right by the fountain but they seem to have stop serving it there. :(

Nicki'sMom
06-07-2007, 08:47 PM
I thought ABC Comissary was very good at MGM.

Iluvpooh
06-07-2007, 09:51 PM
Okay, Okay-I give.
When I said all places at MGM I meant the counter service place. I don't like any of them. Sorry, but my opinion. Like the other posters said. Mama Melrose is pretty good and I really like Hollywood & Vine it is on my list for our upcoming trip. The Brown Derby is a Fantastic Sit Down place.

Wendy Darling is right a lot of the resort Table Service places are great. I don't think I've had a bad sit down meal at any resort.

Also no one mentioned it yet, but if you are going to be at POR make sure to try the Beignets from Sassagoula Floatworks over at the French Quarter for breakfast while you are there. So good. Almost as good as the real thing from New Orleans:cloud9:

donsteele
06-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Okay, Okay-I give.
When I said all places at MGM I meant the counter service place. I don't like any of them. Sorry, but my opinion. Like the other posters said. Mama Melrose is pretty good and I really like Hollywood & Vine it is on my list for our upcoming trip. The Brown Derby is a Fantastic Sit Down place.

Wendy Darling is right a lot of the resort Table Service places are great. I don't think I've had a bad sit down meal at any resort.

Also no one mentioned it yet, but if you are going to be at POR make sure to try the Beignets from Sassagoula Floatworks over at the French Quarter for breakfast while you are there. So good. Almost as good as the real thing from New Orleans:cloud9:

I am not going until sept '08, and you guys are making me so so so hungry. I can't wait.
Thanks for all your input. I am planning my menu so we can book 180 days out.

LandFan
06-08-2007, 09:24 AM
Your kids might like BOMA at Animal Kingdom Lodge. It is a really good African inspired buffet (but it's not too crazy - picky eaters like my DH like it too!) and you get to go see the lodge. It is really amazing and it's fun to explore and see the giraffes various other animals on the savannahs.

O'hana's:papple: is a really fun place with good food too that might be appealing to all.

I, personally, wouldn't miss a chance to eat at Le Cellier though! I do love their filet with wild mushroom risotto!:cloud9:

If you want character dining, Liberty Tree Tavern in Magic Kindgom is a good way to go too. They have a Thanksgiving style feast served family style and I think the character interaction their is priceless! Chip and dale are a hoot (along with Mickey and Pluto) and they really get people laughing. Mind you, it is typical food, but it's pretty good!

Just my :twocents:

moe513
06-08-2007, 09:31 AM
We like SciFi. The place is a lot of fun and the food was good. I think the buffet at Crystal Palace is great. Fun characters and a large assortment of good food.

Marker
06-08-2007, 10:32 AM
No one has mentioned it, but typically kids love pizza, so at Disney/MGM Studios you might try the Toy Story Pizza Planet Arcade. Pizza, Salad and drink, not a bad deal at all.

Roo Girl
06-08-2007, 11:14 AM
MK: For CS, Casey's. TS, Crystal Palace or Liberty Tree Tavern- different, but both very good.
Epcot: For CS, Electric Umbrella. TS, San Angel Inn, Le Cellier, Mitsukoshi Teppanyaki.
AK: For CS, Tusker House, Flame Tree BBQ. that's about it for AK until Yak & Yeti open.
MGM: For CS...I really have no idea what I like CS-wise. TS, Sci-Fi, Prime Time, Brown Derby.

Roo Girl Recommended: Kona Cafe at Poly (breakfast or dinner), Boma at AKL (breakfast), Chef Mickey's at Contemporary (any meal!). :marg:

Natazu
06-08-2007, 12:09 PM
Jym's Top-7 Disney TS Restaurants with Kids:
7. Boma
6. Spirit of Aloha Luau
5. Marrakesh
4. Teppanyaki
3. Biergarten
2. 50s Prime Time Café
1. ‘Ohana

For Breakfast, we usually get something light, like a danish and juice or eggs and toast. Lots of families with kids keep cereal and milk or instant oats and the like in the room, that kind of thing.

septembergirl
06-08-2007, 06:35 PM
No one has mentioned it, but typically kids love pizza, so at Disney/MGM Studios you might try the Toy Story Pizza Planet Arcade. Pizza, Salad and drink, not a bad deal at all.

I second that. My kids (DS11, DS9 and DS6) loved Toy Story. And I didn't think it was too bad either. Go upstairs with the baby and get off your feet for awhile. Let the big kids roam around the arcade downstairs.

We really enjoyed 50's Prime Time Cafe at MGM as well. It was fun and we were all surprised at how great the food was.

At MK, we enjoy Columbia Harbor House.

DawnluvsEeyore
06-08-2007, 08:10 PM
Some of my fav places to eat in WDW are:
'Ohana, Teppayaki, LeCellier, 50s Prime Time, Crystal Palace, Chef Mickeys. The atmosphere in the Sci Fi Drive in is fun. The food isn't fantastic, but when we went for dinner, I wanted a cheeseburger. They didn't have it on the menu, but when I told my server, he told me that they would make one just for me. :thumbsup:

We usually don't spend money in the parks/resorts on breakfast, instead we take cereal, donuts, milk, juice, poptarts and eat in the room while getting ready to go to the parks. It saves time and money doing it that way.

Cinderelley
06-09-2007, 01:51 AM
On our "big" family trip we had a 2-year old, 3 teenage boys, 1 teenage girl and two preteen girls.

Restaurants the kids would do again in a heartbeat -
O'hana - 1 TS
Whispering Canyon - 1 TS
Princess Storybook Breakfast- the girls' vote (TS)
Liberty Tree Tavern - 1 TS
Starring Rolls at MGM - CS
Crystal Palace for breakfast - 1 TS
Pinocchio Village Haus - CS

Others they enjoyed, but aren't must repeats-
Spirit of Aloha Luau
Cinderella's Royal Table
Hoop Dee Doo
1900 Park Fare
Hollywood & Vine

If you look under the "info central" tab, you will find a dining section that has menus. Then you can see what type of food will best fit your family.

Doug The Disney Man`
06-09-2007, 02:12 AM
Yes at MK: Crystal Palace (Pooh Bear and friends, plus the puffed French toast at Bfast!) and Pinochio's Village Haus for CS (right next to small world) and don't forget the castle!
No at MK: Never had any problems at MK!
Yes at Epcot: Garden Grill (characters, rotating through part of Living with the Land, and amazing food) and Electric Umbrella's great variety for a CS.
No at Epcot: Alfredo's (won't matter, it's closing in a couple of months, but the service was not to Disney standards the last two times I was there).
Yes at MGM:Pizza Planet, a CS.
No at MGM: I have personally never really liked the sitdowns at MGM. I used to like SciFi, but the last time it wasn't as good. Still a fun atmosphere, though!
Resorts:Chef Mickey's (Contemporary) and Ohana (Polynesian), both have characters and amazing food!

As others have posted, it might be wise to use snacks for breakfast, too! Last time down you could use ONE snack for a whole box of Entenmann's donuts! I'm hoping for that again this year!

By the way, don't let anyone tell you that because you have teens and tweens that you should avoid character meals. First of all, they often have the best buffets. Also, even though they may act all cool like they don't care, I once saw a tough looking biker guy elated to get his picture taken with Goofy at Chef Mickey's. Disney is magical that way, it brings out the kid in everyone!

disneygirlie11
06-09-2007, 02:23 AM
Here are my favorite from each park...and I'm pretty picky myself!

EPCOT: Teppanyaki--TS
Cantina de San Angel--CS
MGM: 50's Primtime--TS (try the pbj shake!)
Maybe Pizza Planet for kids--CS
AK: AKL to BOMA--TS buffet
Flametree--CS
MK: Ohana at Poly!--TS
Cosmic Rays or Pecos Bills--CS

Also, you could try: Le Cellier,Chef Mickeys for breakfast, Mama Melrose.

Place to avoid w/ picky eaters: Chefs de France. IT is pretty much hit or miss. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't!

Hope this helps!!:thumbsup:

LuckyMum22
06-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Our family's #1 favorite is Ohana. Hands down - must do!
The kids love the buffets-
Crystal Palace and Chef Mickey's for Breakfast.
Biergarten in Germany in Epcot is good and the entertainment is great. We did a late lunch early dinner but I think a little later is better for interaction and the band.
Dinner at Trails End is a great value if you find you must pay out of pocket for a group as large as yours. Lots of food to choose from and great relaxed atmosphere. Very good watermelon!
Are you all getting "free-dining"?
The best value for a single TS credit is LeCellier and it is so very good:thumbsup:...you may have heard!
Many people also say that the Coral Reef is a good value. You could read more about this one. It was not a match for our family but most people enjoy it.
For two TS we did the Hoop-dee-do. This is so much more than dinner and it was so memorable! Truly a magical memory of a great time! Great for a big group too-lot's of fun!
I think Whispering Canyon would also be fun for you. The food is plentiful and the place is entertaining. It also will give eveyone a good look at the Wilderness Lodge which really should be seen.
I like TS dinners that are more than just a meal like you'd do at home going to Friday's or Applebee's. I like the entertainment at WDW. That's why most of the above are more than just good food. Hoop-dee-do was such a good time, the kids are still quoting jokes from it almost a year later! Very memorable...more than just dinner!
We also always do coffee and pop-tarts in the room. At POFQ you have a frig in the room and we bought milk & juice at the resort food court. The Beignets were mentioned in a different post and I second that recommendation! The POFQ food court has a bakery and you will find something to go with the 16 oz coffee in your refillable mug!
For Counter Service we like:
Wolfgang Puck Express at DTD
In the Magic Kingdom:
Columbia Harbour House (seating upstairs is more peaceful)
Pecos Bill Cafe has the best peanut butter mousse brownie!
Aloha Isle for Dole Whips (snack credit)
Main Street Bakery for breakfast items (we once used 8 snack credits for a nice breakfast for 4 people here!)
In Epcot, Sunshine Seasons (near Soarin') had a huge variety and everyone can get their own things. We like to get our FP for Soarin' then eat while waiting.
MGM (we skip eating CS here) ABC Commissary is OK if you must -I had a Cuban Sandwich that was ok but I wouldn't go out of my way to go back.
Over on the Boardwalk we had pizza from the take-out window at Spoodles and it was very good. I think that counts as a CS for the dining plan.
As far as places not to eat...
I'd say Coral Reef but the next person will slam me and tell you it is the best ever. It is all what you like to eat and what will suit your family. Read the menus on line and do some thinking about what everyone likes but most of all be sure to get those ADR's especially if you are going during the free-dining season!
Good luck and have fun planning!