PDA

View Full Version : Free Resort Upgrade?

Lucyrella
06-07-2007, 04:44 PM
I was wondering if anyone else had recieved an email that offered a hotel upgrade at the Disney Properties? We are booked for 8/26 to 9/1 at Pop and the email says I can upgrade to either the Saratoga Springs or Old Key West resort. Is this legit? Guess I will call and find out, but has anyone else encountered this type of offer? would you do it, or stay at my original POP reservation? We have a 2 year old and 3 year old, so was curious of what feed back you all can offer. Thanks!:confused:

LarryBoy
06-07-2007, 04:58 PM
We were looking to book the AS Movies July 24-30 through Magical Journeys and they offered us an upsell to Port Orleans Riverside. We jumped :joy: at this opportunity! We will now be staying at POR for less than it would have been at AS Movies. :D We had to do the dining plan, but we were going to it anyway. We are so pumped! I haven't stayed at POR since it was Dixie Landings. I get the feeling that the value resorts must be pretty full in late July and they must have plenty of room in the moderates and DVC resorts. I see they are offering you a DVC resort. I wonder if you'll have to sit through a presentation?

Celakip
06-07-2007, 06:56 PM
We just received the same free upgrade offer for Old Key West or Saratoga Springs. It sounds like a great deal, UNLESS we have to sit through a DVC presentation. Not the least bit interested in that -- want to spend our time in the parks!

What gives, anyone? :mickey:

TammiMcMan
06-07-2007, 07:56 PM
The same thing happened about 10 months ago. It's a simple case of the resort being oversold and some lucky guests are getting a great offer to upgrade. Those that took the upgrade last time around, didn't report anything about going through a DVC sales pitch, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Personally, I'd jump at the upgrade offer. Having the kitchen with two young children may be a great convenience for you. I'd probably go with Saratoga Springs, just because I like the room layouts. They have the sofa that converts to a bed and I believe that Old Key West has 2 queen beds. Before you choose which one though, you may want to ask over on the DVC forum. You can also view more details and pictures from each one here:

Saratoga Springs (http://www.intercot.com/resorts/dvc/saratogasprings/default.asp)
Old Key West (http://www.intercot.com/resorts/dvc/oldkeywest/default.asp)

Lucyrella
06-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Okay, I took the bait, and decided on the Old Key West Resort. There is no gimic or sales presentation, they wouldn't tell me why it was being offered, but the cost of my trip is now $2 less than my original reservation for the POP. We are getting a 1 bedroom villa, and I am looking forward to the space. I asked for new paperwork to be sent to me, and they said sure. I have a new confirmation number, and it was just too easy. I don't like sounding skeptical, but I am smiling ear to ear... the size of mouse ears to be exact. How I hope there will be no glitches after driving 13+hours to get there. We will now be celebrating the Lucyrella's 4th birthday in more space. Anymore feedback on this?

disneymom2000
06-07-2007, 09:35 PM
There's nothing better than getting a Disney surprise special. I am so happy for you.

mousaholic
06-07-2007, 09:41 PM
Congratulations! You will love the upgrade! Last year we received a free upgrade from AS Movies to SSR - it was wonderful! I'd love another free upgrade for our upcoming trip!:thumbsup:

KevinJ
06-07-2007, 11:10 PM
We also received the email. I made reservations at Pop for my family of 4 and another room for grand parents. Of course now Disney does this through two reservations. Since I made both, paid for both, and the paper work on boh have my name, do you think they will allow the grandparents to upgrade?

TammiMcMan
06-07-2007, 11:17 PM
Kevin, I'm sure if you respond and explain your situation, they'll be able to accomodate both your parties. Maybe offer them a similar unit, or if they have a 2 bedroom available, you could all share (if you even wanted to do that). I don't imagine that it will be any problem.

snifflesmcg
06-07-2007, 11:42 PM
I have two questions for ya. Are you still getting the free dining? I asked for POP and they said they weren't offering that hotel. Second, who did you book your vacation thru? Was it Disney themselves or another travel agent?

Lucyrella
06-08-2007, 10:14 AM
Well I booked the trip through Disney, but did it back in April I believe, and used our Disney Chase Card, the free dining was offered to them before it went public, supposedly. They told me everything else was the same, just a different property. So we got a free upgrade, I still have our free dining. I am still surprised.

Dyanna
06-08-2007, 10:19 AM
Who did the email come from? I will have to check my spam mail to see if I too got this upgrade email. One can hope:cool:

Lucyrella
06-08-2007, 11:22 AM
The email came from [email protected]

Hope that helps,

krorx
06-08-2007, 11:25 AM
Wow! I'm jealous! Have a great time. :D

Dyanna
06-08-2007, 11:28 AM
Thanks! Now I will have to check to see if I am a lucky receipient of an upgrade.

Christine
06-08-2007, 08:32 PM
I must not be living right :shrug:

None of this kind of stuff ever happens to me! :pout: :D

Celakip
06-08-2007, 08:53 PM
We called today and were told we didn't qualify because the dates of our trip (8/31 - 9/8) do not fall within their "window". When asked why we were sent an email offering the free upgrade, a satisfactory answer could not be given. So, we sent a complaint email -- we'll see what happens! :confused:

Lucyrella
06-08-2007, 11:31 PM
Well it must have something to do with the week we are there, it is the week before Labor Day weekend, and if I am not mistaken the first week of the free dining? I hope I did the right thing since we are celebrating a birthday for our little one turning 4 on the 26th. I have read where POP does neat things for birthday's and I know nothing about the Old Key West, except it is larger and will be nice to have in the long run. I guess I can always have plan B for birthday surprises if needed. :party:

snifflesmcg
06-09-2007, 12:50 AM

Ha ha, me either!

Dedivah
06-09-2007, 08:33 AM

Same here!

It does seem to be the values are being upgraded. We are saying at a moderate.

LuckyMum22
06-09-2007, 09:13 AM
Well I have read where POP does neat things for birthday's and I know nothing about the Old Key West, except it is larger and will be nice to have in the long run. I guess I can always have plan B for birthday surprises if needed. :party:

Believe me, you won't be disappointed! Just to have the space :cloud9: is incredible. Have you ever stayed at Pop with 4 people in the room?!? It is way too small. The birthday thing can be made special just by mentioning it to every cast member you are in contact with. When you make your ADR's for the day, get your birthday button, ask for a special phone call, tell the CM at check in...magic will happen. If you want to be sure there is one special thing check out this:

Celebrating a birthday or other special occasion while at Walt Disney World? Guests who wish to request a personalized cake for the occasion can now call the new "Cake Hotline" at 407-827-2253 and place an order. 48-hours notice is required. Prices vary according to the type of cake chosen. A 6-inch, non-personalized cake is available upon request at the podium of your restaurant with no advance notice and costs $12.50 plus tax.

One other thing I did for a birthday is I sent a gift to the resort through the Personal Disney Shopper section on <snip> (I think they are a sponsor on this board so I hope it is ok to post that!) They made sure my DH's gifts were in the room and were laid out on the table with pixie dust (confetti) when we arrived.
Your upgrade is a tremendous gift to your family. Enjoy it and the birthday magic will happen!

bleukarma
06-09-2007, 09:24 AM
I got the same email only it said "FL resident special offer". My trip is booked June 18-20 at ASMu and I could've went from $109 at ASMu to $129 (I think) at Saratoga Springs or Old Key West. I would've jumped on the offer to stay at these resorts for only $20 more but I'm meeting my parents, niece and 2 nephews at ASMu (they are getting the suite) and I didn't think they would like me switching without them. I called Disney to see how much it would be for a 2 bedroom suite with the discount to see if we could all just stay in that together but it was way more then what their suite and our hotel room would be combined so it wasn't worth it. :(

January-2007
06-09-2007, 10:06 AM
What a great treat! I would jump on that! Someone mentioned checking their spam folder for an email like this so I went to my email and I didn't even know that it deleted "spam" automatically, so I could have received this and not known! I doubt it though, I'm just not that lucky. We love Pop so it's no big deal for us, but how great for your family of four to have a one bedroom at Old Key West! You'll love it, I know I loved it when I stayed there around 4 years ago. Congrats on the upgrade and thanks for sharing your news!

TammiMcMan
06-09-2007, 11:22 AM
In terms of the birthday celebrations, you can ask for a complimentary card and balloon at any resort. Staying at one over another does not improve your chances of receiving it, that's based entirely on their current runner staffing.

Even going with an outside company, there's no guarantee that a gift will be delivered directly to your room. They can only go so far as the front desk and then it's up to Disney to either call you when it arrives, have a runner deliver it or give it to you at check-in.

TiggerRPh
06-09-2007, 11:37 AM
My guess this is happening because DVC members...if they use points can't get free dining and in order to maximize the free dining and minimize the penalty for paying 'rack rate' on the rooms, people want to stay at the Value Resorts.

iceicebritney
06-09-2007, 08:00 PM
okay, my best friend just called to see how this upgrade process is working - the CM told her that it is a random pick by disney's marketing department and that central reservations has nothing to do with it. they said that if you were chosen you'd either recieve a letter through us postal mail or through e-mail. you can also call and see if your name / reservation number is attatched to the marketing campaign and they will tell you whether or not you've been chosen.

so there it is, i hope that helps out everyone who was wondering more about this - congrats to all of you who did get upgraded! i hope that makes your disney experience even more magical:mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-09-2007, 10:37 PM
We're there at almost exactly the same dates, at ASMu. I haven't seen anything about an upgrade. Darn it!

Lucyrella
06-09-2007, 11:19 PM
Thanks everyone for the info, advice and good wishes. The only thing I have ever one in my life was 10 gallon aquarium for naming a turtle. I was like 8. So I feel kinda special. I just want this vacation to be Lucy's birthday of a lifetime, she has endured quite alot with the addition of a sibling 6 months ago. Everything is fine now with them, but how I want everything to be just a magical as possible for her. We may not be able to do this again in a long time. So it is fun to be able to do this. Thanks again to everyone.:blush:

Lily
06-10-2007, 04:20 PM
Has anyone ever received one of these offers after booking through a travel agent? I booked through a TA for the first time this year.

Tink1
06-10-2007, 04:38 PM
Some of our clients have recieved upgrade offers.

Nanci

ariel03
06-10-2007, 05:55 PM
So what travel dates have people been getting this free upgrade?

Tink1
06-10-2007, 07:28 PM
Right now, it seems Labor Day weekend is the time they are playing with.

Nanc

disneydeb
06-10-2007, 07:40 PM
Could this be part of the Magical Wishes Promo?

ariel03
06-10-2007, 07:57 PM
If is wasn't they could say it is now! :mickey:

Tink1
06-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Could this be part of the Magical Wishes Promo?

I think it has more to do with them needing rooms at the values for the big softball tournament that weekend @ WWoS.

Nanc

LarryBoy
06-10-2007, 09:11 PM
When is this softball tourney? We are going in late July and got offered an upsell from AS Movies to POR. We actually were able to save money and stay in a nicer resort, all thanks to Wendy at MJ. Is there something going on that last week of JUly?

TammiMcMan
06-10-2007, 09:31 PM
Is there something going on that last week of JUly?You can look up the events on the Wide World of Sports website. From what I can tell they have the following going on:

July 23 - 29 = Softball Fast Pitch World Series
July 27 - 29 = 3v3 National Championships
July 29 - Aug 5 = Baseball Elite World Series

hdietsche1
06-10-2007, 09:45 PM
Woo hoo!!! I was upgraded from pop to Saratoga Springs 8-26 through 9-2. How exciting. We have a room only from 8-24 to 8-26 at pop that they couldnt upgrade because of the free dining, so we will get our fill of the fun and whimsical nature of Pop, then relax and enjoy the space at SS. It is my son's 7th bday, :party: he was lucky enough to spend his 6th bday at wdw too. :mickey: Of course it doesnt hurt that his mom cannot bear to be without disney for too long. :thumbsup: Hee hee. I hope more can get this upgrade, as I am so excited. :number1: