PDA

View Full Version : Totally Rad Tubular Dude

BrerSchultzy
06-07-2007, 11:03 AM
So, anyone else ecstatic that 80s fashion seems to be coming back?

My wife just came back from Claire's all excited that she found Jem & the Hologram earrings (you know, the GIGANTIC pink star that Jem wore). And, last night, we wandered into the new Clothing Wearhouse here in Greenville...and it's mostly 80s T-shirts (including the much maligned T-Shirt Dress) and crazy stuff like that. They even had Slap Bracelets with Nelson and Bon Jovi on them.

Which leads to the obvious question: Which 80s fashions do you want to see come back?

Personally, I'm still waiting for Jamz to come back. Anyone else?

mtown71
06-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Hmmm...I can tell you what I don't want to come back. No big hair...no parachute pants. Too bad some of those 80's metal bands don't come back.

PirateLover
06-07-2007, 11:25 AM
It's funny. Bits and pieces of 80s fashion have been coming back on the market for 3 or 4 years now. Leggings and off the shoulder shirts were huge huge huge 2 years ago. If your feeling nostalgic, a great place to check out is 80stees. It's a website that sells tshirts of every show/band/video game you can think of. They also sell other novelty items- I have a wallet that looks like a NES controller.

darthmacho
06-07-2007, 11:30 AM
No. This is the stuff of nightmares. I still can't sleep some nights due to visions of my teenage wardrobe. The only thing 80's fashion was good for was giving us an appreciation for 60's and 70's fashion. Please, people, let's stop this madness now, before it is too late. :judge:

BrerSchultzy
06-07-2007, 11:46 AM
Anybody else envisioning DarthMacho with a bright pink T-shirt, White sports coat with the sleeves rolled up, gold chains galore, hair that's been gelled within an inch of its life...probably stepping into his DeLorean to head off to the Sly Foxx concert.

Am I close?

I was the guy with the Sears Husky clothes on, desperately wishing some girl would go with me to the Depeche Mode concert.

Hmmm...maybe I need to rethink this "Bringin' Back the 80s" thing...

Jeff G
06-07-2007, 03:41 PM
Anybody else envisioning DarthMacho with a bright pink T-shirt, White sports coat with the sleeves rolled up, gold chains galore, hair that's been gelled within an inch of its life...probably stepping into his DeLorean to head off to the Sly Foxx concert.

Minus a few details and adding a pastel pink tie and the sport coat being a light gray you nailed my junior prom outfit. Unfortunately it wasn't a DeLorean I was getting out of it was a Chevette with Power of Love blasting from the speakers.

no parachute pants.

:confused: I loved wearing parachute pants, granted I was maybe twelve. I wish they would come back in style.

Ecstatic for eighties fashion? Hmmm... are you sure we should bring back:

Feathered hair(with mullet optional)? Neon OP shirts? Acid washed jeans tight rolled at the bottom? Crimped hair? A silver glove on one hand? Clock necklaces? Leg warmers? Air Jordan high tops? Converse "Chuckie" high tops in different color? Paisley shirts? Swatches? Friendship bracelets? Spandex? Stirrup pants? Zipper ankle jeans?

The eighties were so rad. Maybe we could have a get together at the roller rink or video arcade to reminisce:cool:.

BrerSchultzy
06-07-2007, 05:29 PM
Ecstatic for eighties fashion? Hmmm... are you sure we should bring back:

Feathered hair(with mullet optional)? Neon OP shirts? Acid washed jeans tight rolled at the bottom? Crimped hair? A silver glove on one hand? Clock necklaces? Leg warmers? Air Jordan high tops? Converse "Chuckie" high tops in different color? Paisley shirts? Swatches? Friendship bracelets? Spandex? Stirrup pants? Zipper ankle jeans?

Simply put...yes. And while we're at it, maybe we'll get unattractive pop stars, truly talented stand-up comedians who only do CAMEOS for sub-standard sitcoms (instead of starring in them), the Brat Pack II, movies about small town America, dark rides in WDW, Saturday mornings at the bowling alley and Saturday nights at the roller rink.

Sure would beat reality TV, Paris Hilton and the endless string of sequels and sitcoms about fat dumb guys with hot wives.

BronxTigger
06-07-2007, 06:24 PM
I saw three guys with mullets on one bus the other day! :hide2:

darthmacho
06-08-2007, 09:11 AM

Am I close?

I was the guy with the Sears Husky clothes on, desperately wishing some girl would go with me to the Depeche Mode concert.

Hmmm...maybe I need to rethink this "Bringin' Back the 80s" thing...

No pink, but your image is not too far off. Picture an imitation leather Michael Jackson/Billy Idol hybrid jacket, sleeves rolled up, collar up, spiked wristbands, studded, fingerless gloves, and mirrored sunglasses. Red and black were the standard colors for my wardrobe, and the hair went from feathered Scott Baio, to spikey Billy Idol, to a MULLET, all in a decade. :bang:

Tinkerfreak
06-08-2007, 09:45 AM
Well as much as I loved the 80's I don't think that much hair will fit in my car anymore. Yes I used to cram it all into a Chevette. It was silver and my friends referred to it as the silver bullet. I'm too worried about the ozone now anyway, I feel I need to make up for my contribution to the hole.
I did love the tapered leg pants but they were a problem at night when you had to try to pull them off over your ankles and they just would not budge.
It seems funny to see my kids wearing some of the styles I used to wear but cool.

kakn7294
06-08-2007, 09:46 AM
Hey, never DISS a man's (or woman's) mullet - that's a cardinal rule of the eighties. And no, I don't have now nor did I ever have a mullet but there are plenty of folks around my neck of the woods that either did have or still do have them. We've got a local female doctor who has sported one for longer than I can remember. There's also a cashier at my local Walmart with one - her hair's mostly gray! There's nothing I want to see less than a bunch of us 30-somethings walking around in clothes from our teen years. Some of it was pretty scary then and it'll be even worse now that gravity and Mother Nature have taken a toll on some of us. And DarthMacho, you must have been one awesome dude! Show us some pics! Oh yeah, what about the DeLorean?

Jeff G
06-08-2007, 10:27 AM
Hey, never DISS a man's (or woman's) mullet - that's a cardinal rule of the eighties. And no, I don't have now nor did I ever have a mullet but there are plenty of folks around my neck of the woods that either did have or still do have them.

No dissing mullets here, I had one in the 80's:cool:. And being that the 80's style was feathered hair I would get on my crotch rocket and take a spin or two around the block after I showered. It was an amazing way to feather the hair.:waycool:

MMouse6937
06-08-2007, 06:06 PM
Oh my gosh, I am laughing hysterically reading this!! I am a child of the 80s and although at the time I felt awkward and strange, when I look back it was so cool. I had these pink parachute pants that were the bomb, then I fell on my roller skates and tore a hole in the knee, I was devestated. Do you remember the bannana clips? I used to try to put my hair in one of those but it was too short, looked like a mohawk! HA The peg legged jeans were the best, we used to pin them a the bottom and then roll them up so they wouldn't come undone. And Jeff, DH still has a mullet (well kinda) and he sticks his head out the window when we're driving to dry it with the right feather. I kid you not, I almost spit up my drink when I read about your motorcycle feathering!!! Silly silly, what fun!

darthmacho
06-09-2007, 08:56 AM
Sorry to taint the legend of Darth Macho, but the first car I ever owned was a 1993 Mercury Sable, which I bought used in 1997 at the age of 26.

I grew up in the city, so until then all of my transportation included bus :bus: train :train: or walking. :tiptoe:

crazypoohbear
06-09-2007, 02:26 PM
Why is it that whatever decade we all hail from when you look back at your highschool age pictures everyone has the same thought....

WHAT WAS I THINKING!!! OMG!:jaw::jaw::funny::funny::crazy::hide2:

and then cut to 20 years later and that look comes back??!!?!?!?
Anyone will tell you "IT didn't look good then and it doesn't look good now.

And this same kids who are now "reinventing the 80's" will look back in 20 years and say.....
WHAT WAS I THINKING!!!!:mickey:

BrerGnat
06-10-2007, 12:34 AM
Well, they tried to bring back skinny black pants, but that failed MISERABLY. Of course, it was also Gap that tried to do it, and we all know what happened with THAT...

I can't believe no one mentioned wearing 3-4 pairs of DIFFERENT COLORED slouch socks, all towering up in their multi colored glory halfway to our knees. Does anyone remember that? Those sock "towers" went along nicely with the peg leg pants. :)

Honestly, I think the fashions of the 80's don't need to come back. They looked awful back then...there's no way they'd look good now!

80's nostalgia will never go away, and I'm cool with t-shirts and other items with REFERENCES to 80's pop culture, but leave the high waisted pants and shoulder pads to rest in peace!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-10-2007, 09:59 PM
The only thing from then that I really liked was the stirrup pants. They stayed tucked in your boots. And I don't even want to see them come back.

PrincessCandaceMarie
06-12-2007, 10:07 AM
OMG !!! Soooo loving this thread! I'd love the 80s bands to be back like they were, so missing the hair bands! And when MTV played music videos and you were like OMG did you see Bon Jovi or Def Leppard??!!!

As for the fashion, heck, some of it I'd love to have back, and I'd love to have The Limited back to the way it was in the 80s too!