PDA

View Full Version : One way car rental

jeffc
06-07-2007, 10:33 AM
Has anyone ever flown to Disneyworld and then rented a car to go back home, if so what rental co. did you use and how expensive was it? I would be going back to N.Y. Thanks

ILoveLegos
06-07-2007, 04:33 PM
Maybe you can make a better deal than I did, but on one trip I flew into Orlando, Florida and rented from National a brand new (17 miles on the odometer) candy apple red PT Cruiser for a one-way trip to my second home in Florida 70 miles south of Orlando. I kept the car less than about 12 hours and turned it in in my hometown local National Rent a Car chain. I admit that I purchased the extra insurance, (I don't want to owe anything upon return of a renatal car). Plus I got hit with heafty one-way fees (the company has to pay two people to drive out to get the car so they can bring it back to the original rental office. With taxes and fees I payed $466 to drive myself 70 miles home from the airport. At that time, it was worth it - but I'm a lot wiser now. I have a private car pick me up and I spend the $375 I save on some other form of recreation. My advice is to do you homework one-way car rental this is not usually very cost effective, unless you can stike up a deal to transfer a car for them from one major airport to another.

robhink
06-07-2007, 04:51 PM
First I'd like to say :welcome:

Okay, I've never done it and it would all depend on when and where you planned to drive the car but you might find it cost effective.

I just looked at national from picking something up on Friday Sept 7th from Orlando Airport and returning it to a location near my house (PA) and it was an estimated total of $453.85. Now that includes my Emerald Club discount and does not include any of the supplemental insurance for the vehicle.

Golf Grumpy
06-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Hello and welcome. Last Thanksgiving, we flew to Orlando, rented a car and drove back to Houston. It worked out ok, except that our real car had a flat at the airport. Just make sure you can return to a different spot then you pick up.

#1disneyfan
06-08-2007, 06:50 PM
We did something similar to that last June. We flew into Fort Myers to visit my family and rented a car. After our visit there, we drove 3 hours to Orlando and returned our car to the Car Center right near MK entrance. We then took the car rental shuttle to our hotel. I think I spend around $300 but that was for about 5 days. Just make sure you select to pick up and drop off at a different location. People do it all the time. Go online and price it out and see if it will be worth it to you. You can rent cars also from that location near MK. Good luck and have a great trip.