PDA

View Full Version : What's on your summer reading list???

threeh
06-06-2007, 09:27 PM
In celebration of upcoming beach time, what are you planning to read this summer (besides the 7th Harry Potter book:thumbsup:)
I just got a few reads myself today. I got The Hobbit, thought I would read some JRR Tolkien and some nice fluff like The Debutane Divorcee.
I also got Shopahlic and Baby

Happy reading!!!:cool:

BrerSchultzy
06-06-2007, 09:35 PM
Well...Harry Potter 5 is in the mix, so I can get ready for the movie.

But most importantly, I AM going to get through Life of Pi this summer. Come Hades or high water. So many people I know say it's great...but I can't get past the second chapter.

But right now, I'm on Welcome to Higby by Mike Dunn (the guy who wrote Ella Minnow Pea).

And most importantly, I'm headed to Portland OR to see my brother in law...so I'll be stocking up on books at Powell's. Can't wait.

dixielandings
06-06-2007, 10:09 PM
I'm halfway through HP 5 right now. I've been rereading the series in prep for the movie and book 7. I can't believe how much I don't remember from before. Great story!

BronxTigger
06-06-2007, 10:38 PM
LOL about the Life of Pi....it does have quite the slow start, but once I got past the beginning it was very good.

I'm not sure what will be on my summer reading list. I only read on the train during my commute, so my usual book selection process goes as follows:

1. Go to nearest library.
2. Step up to random shelf.
3. Choose a book based on size and weight.
4. Read title & summary. If interest, skim first few pages. If not, return to shelf.
5. Check out books that look interesting.

kakn7294
06-06-2007, 10:44 PM
DH went on a recent conference and brought home a copy of "Flags of our Fathers" so I guess I'll be reading that. Nora Roberts (my fav) has a new book called "High Noon" coming out in July - I'll definately be reading that! Oh, and I just bought "The Imagineering Field Guide to Epcot" and "The Imagineering Field Guide to Animal Kingdom".

disneydrmr
06-07-2007, 08:58 AM
I've been reading Birnbaums Guide to Disneyland since I'll be going there in November. I'm right now reading Finding Fish by Antwone Fisher... just saw the movie and enjoyed it so decided to pick up the book. I have 3 christian fiction novels at home that I just bought last night at Books A Million, will start those next... one is called Bright are the Stars by Joanna Lacy. It's the second in a series about the Cherokee and the Trail of Tears. The first book was called Cherokee Rose. Another book I picked up is called RV There Yet by Diana Hunt. The other I really can't remember the title, but it was also by Diana Hunt.

mtown71
06-07-2007, 09:07 AM
I have been rereading all of the Harry Potter books to refamiliarize myself with what is going on so I can be prepared for the movie. Other than that, no other books to read. I prefer movies!

SBETigg
06-07-2007, 09:14 AM
Beach read time! I'll be reading Julia London's American Diva, Rivals for the Crown by Kathleen Givens, whatever Dean Koontz puts out because I love his characters. Oh, and I will definitely be reading the new Potter just as soon as my kids put it down.

DisneyDog
06-07-2007, 10:33 AM
I catalog all of the new books at my library, so I get to see everything first. But, I usually wait until the popularity has died down on new books so I don't keep them away from anyone else. I keep a list of the new books I am interested in reading It's growing a bit too long. I don't know if I will get through all of them this summer (ha ha) Here it is:

The secret of lost things (Sheridan Hay)
The secret Magdalene (Ki Longfellow)
Tallgrass (Sandra Dallas)
The camel bookmobile (Masha Hamilton)
My French Whore (Gene Wilder)
The blood of flowers (Anita Amirrezvani)
If today be sweet (Thrity Umrigar)
Golden Country (Jennifer Gilmore)
The crimson portrait (Jody Shields)
The Welsh girl (Peter Ho Davies)
Mistress of the art of death (Ariana Franklin)
The pox party (M.T. Anderson)
Water for elephants (Sara Gruen)
Family Tree (Barbara Delinksy)
Stealing Buddha's dinner (Bich Minh Nguyen)

PrincessEmmasMommy
06-07-2007, 11:34 AM
The new Harry Potter book when it comes out and the new Janet Evanovich book (the 13th Stephanie Plum Book) in a couple of weeks. Also, a lot of children's chapter books to keep up with my third graders.
Enjoy!
Jen

darthmacho
06-07-2007, 11:37 AM
This is just the tip of the iceburg, but I just got the following boks at Borders yesterday...

1. 1000 Places to see in the USA and Canada Before You Die. Patricia Shultz

2. Mexican Days (follow up to On Mexican TIme.) Tony Cohan :sombrero:

3. The Road Cormac McCarthy

thrillme
06-07-2007, 11:48 AM
I don't really have much on my reading list because I still don't have any time...but my poor DS has a list of some books he should read for school.

I'm keeping my mouth shut, putting on my "encouraging act" and offering to give him money for any of the ones that he does read but secretly...SIGH...MOST of those books...I'd rather pull my toenails off but I can't tell him that.

If only Harry Potter was on the list.

cetacean01
06-07-2007, 11:52 AM
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
The Sex Lives of Cannibals-a comedy
Liseys Story

PirateLover
06-07-2007, 12:10 PM
Currently reading Peter Pan
Plan to read:
Count of Monte Cristo
And of course Harry Potter.
I'll probably end up reading all the Harry Potter books again like I usually do, lol.

conorsmom2000
06-07-2007, 02:27 PM
Add me to the list of those re-reading the Harry Potter books in anticipation for book 7! :D I'm just about done with Prisoner of Azkaban and will start Goblet of Fire (for the 10th time! :blush: )

Aside from that, and the next Stephanie Plum book, I'm not sure - I am sooooo behind on reading! I've had a James Patterson book sitting here for 2 months that I haven't picked up yet and that's so not like me. Hopefully I'll have more time over the summer to get some good reading done!

But, I have to say thanks because I've gotten some good Father's Day ideas for Mike from reading these posts! :thumbsup: :mickey:

mouseaddict
06-07-2007, 03:19 PM
With a 7 month old and a 5 y.o I don't have alot f time. I have promised myself that I WILL read Harry Potter7..I have been trying to find time to read Angels and Demons and the Rule of Four..but they will have to wait until I find out what happens to Harry!

ftwildernesskid
06-07-2007, 03:52 PM
I'm most anxious to read the last Harry Potter book. Also, I love historical fiction. Phillippa Gregory's books are great summer reading if you're into that genre. I've just "discovered" her and have read 3 of her books. Love them!

offwego
06-07-2007, 04:35 PM
I'm toying with the HP book but the price for a hardcover always makes me wince. However I am looking (so far with no luck) for an old paperback called The Empty Copper Sea by John D Macdonald. If I find that I'll be thrilled.

I'm also hording a Amanda Quick novel for sept. (by not buying it)

On the boring pile I have a economic risk course to do. Does that count as summer reading?

threeh
06-07-2007, 07:23 PM
I'm most anxious to read the last Harry Potter book. Also, I love historical fiction. Phillippa Gregory's books are great summer reading if you're into that genre. I've just "discovered" her and have read 3 of her books. Love them!

I love Phillipa Gregory!!! I think The Other Boleyn Sister was the best book of them all, but I enjoy her stuff.
I'm actually listening to all the Harry Potter books on my ipod. Makes for great car travel!!!

SBETigg
06-07-2007, 09:02 PM
I love Phillipa Gregory, too! If you like her work, you might try Kathleen Givens. She has a similar style. I'm also looking forward to the new Stephanie Plum book.

The Sex Lives of Cannibals? Sounds so funny-- who wrote it?

ElenitaB
06-09-2007, 02:40 AM
I have lots of reading to do this summer, but not much of it is fiction. I just finished The No A**hole Rule: Building a Civilized Workplace and Surviving One That Isn't which was not as good as you would have thought (I thought the how to survive suggestions were a bit on the lame side).

Now I'm finishing up How Doctors Think which is quite good. Next up: finish Fierce Conversations: Achieving Sucess at Work and in Life One Conversation at a Time and do the workbook (this is for work) and then I'll finish up The World Is Flat which is really fascinating (and coming out in paperback in July). Other books on my list for this summer:

The Tipping Point (another book I need to finish)
Air Apparent: How Meteorologists Learned to Map, Predict, and Dramatize Weather (another one with just a few chapters to read before finishing it)
Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die — I'm hoping this will help with my intranet redesign
Know-How: The 8 Skills That Separate People Who Perform from Those Who Don't
From Cancer Patient to Cancer Survivor
Wherever You Go There You Are
The Anatomy of Hope: How People Prevail in the Face of Illness
Coming to Our Senses

So some personal stuff is included in there. I plan to use a lot of my evenings to read since TV with its mess of reruns will not be so enticing. If I do manage to finish them, I'd love to get the newest HP on the list and Better: A Surgeon's Notes on Performance.

DS still doesn't have his reading list, but having just read the longest book he's ever read (Kingdom Keepers), I'm enticing him to start the HP series. I'm also going to start teaching him Spanish, so we'll be pretty busy!

Also, there's a hidden opportunity to help support Intercot while supporting one's reading habit. If you buy your books at Amazon, use the link (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect-home/intercotcom) you'll find on the "Intercot Shop" tab of the site (scroll up and you'll see the tabs... the "Intercot Shop" one is the next to the last one, hanging out right next to Info Central).

alphamommy
06-09-2007, 10:59 AM
I'm rereading the Harry Potter books before the release of the last one. I have two left!

SBETigg
06-09-2007, 11:42 AM
Wow, Ellen, you are having an educational summer. Go Ellen!

Riri529
06-09-2007, 02:26 PM
I am currently reading I Am Charlotte Simmons by Tom Wolfe. I was thinking of Running With Scissors next. I have gotten mixed reviews on this book, so I am curious to see what the buzz is about.

MScholl13
06-09-2007, 02:36 PM
I work at a library so I'm constantly surrounded by books that I want to read, but I have to limit myself...:blush:

So currently I am reading:
Hypocrite in a pouffy white dress by Susan Gilman. It's a biography and quite hilarious! There are many times when I have had a good chuckle over her adventures.

The Great Deluge by Douglas Brinkley. This is about Hurricane Katrina and the places it affected. It is a very interesting, in-depth read and I am really getting into it.

What I plan on reading this summer:

Walk Across America by Peter Jenkins

Ansel Adams biography

Summer Sisters by Judy Blume ( I read this every summer!)

Greatest Generation by Tom Brokaw

And many, many more!

dolphinmickey9170
06-09-2007, 06:39 PM
World Lit.........The Epic of Gilgamesh and The Ramayana

ElenitaB
06-09-2007, 06:46 PM
I'd love to read some of the books published by our own Intercot authors... hint hint! Let's not be shy, post us links to what you've written!

Marilyn Michetti
06-09-2007, 07:30 PM
I don't read alot - (bad eyes), but if y'all want one "just for fun", read MARLEY & ME - The World's Worst Dog. It's fast, funny, and true.

I'm waiting for one to come out soon. It's called THE PENNY, a novel by Joyce Meyer, on overcoming our past, (I think). I love to listen to her every morning.:music:

princessjojo
06-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Mine, not nearly as interesting as yours in a leisurely way....Medical-Surgical Nursing

Enough said...:read:

conorsmom2000
06-10-2007, 07:28 PM
I I was thinking of Running With Scissors next. I have gotten mixed reviews on this book, so I am curious to see what the buzz is about.

I read that not too long ago - it was good, but in a very disturbing way! Talk about dysfunctional family - but all in all, a good read!