PDA

View Full Version : Teething troubles

maizey05
06-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Hi there! I'm looking for any advice you might have on teething babies. DS is 4 months and teething. He drools like crazy, chews on his hands, and is super fussy. You can see and feel a tooth under his gums. I've given him Tylanol, teething tablets, gripe water and baby Ambesol. Yesterday he refused to take more than 1 hour (in total) of a nap. He screamed all day long:fit: He's too young to know to hold a teether up to his mouth to chew. I've also massaged his gums and put cold on them. How can I get him to sleep and be happier??? I'm going nuts!

kris10399
06-06-2007, 05:13 PM
Did you try Advil as opposed to Tylenol? Maybe give him a warm bath to calm him down when he is fussy?

You are really doing everything you can. not what you want to hear but it doesn't last forever. I've finally gotten DD (3 y/o) to sleep thru the night within the last 6 months and now we are expecting #2 in August. Here we go again!

disneycouple2004
06-06-2007, 06:00 PM
We used a water filled teething ring that you put in the freezer..worked really well..but you have to help hold it at that age is the only downside ...
good luck..:mickey:

Stitchahula
06-06-2007, 06:30 PM
When my son was a baby what I found worked best (and is also the cheapest) was to wet a face cloth in cold water and let him chew on that. You can do a few at a time and put them in plastic bags and put them in the fridge so they stay nice and cold. They are also really easy to use for travel all you do when you're out is run cold water on them again and your good to go. Good luck teething stinks you feel so helpless.

baby minnie's mommy
06-06-2007, 07:20 PM
We've used Baby Orajel - some days it would help and some not. (Not sure what the age limit is for that medicine.)

Please remember that you are doing your best as a parent! Teething is very trying, so just try to get through it calmly! Our daughter kept going through cycles of unexplained crying/crankiness, and it would usually turn out to be another tooth coming in. :sob: I'm sorry, but as soon as you think you're in the clear a new tooth starts to pop up!!! Just remind yourself (and your family) that it's just teething, and do what you can to make DS comfortable.

Take one day at a time - savor the good days and be extra patient on the rough ones! :)

crazypoohbear
06-06-2007, 07:23 PM
I'd let him **** on a frozen facecloth. It's cooling and will fit in the mouth quite easily.
My pediatrician said NOT to use oragel, or such because it "toughens the gums" and makes it harder for the teeth to break through.
On the plus side after the first couple of teeth it's usually not an issue

Jeri
06-07-2007, 01:23 PM
I was told the same thing about Baby Orajel.

I was told by my Pediatrician to rub a little Tylenol on the gums. She said that way it went right to the spot and your not giving them so much all the time. This worked best of any thing else I tried.

thrillme
06-07-2007, 01:43 PM
My DS started his teething late so he was able to pick up and chew on EVERYTHING.

The washcloth method was great. If he can handle "people food" or "juice" popsicles although a bit messy are GREAT. They love the taste and the cold freezes them.

mouseaddict
06-07-2007, 03:24 PM
If gripe water didn't work....wow! DD just cut 4 at one time..thought I was going to need to check into the rubber room.
I don't know how you feel and I might get flamed..but my Scottish grandmother use to rub a tiny amt of whiskey on our gums (according to my mom) and it did the trick.
I think there is a company that makes little mesh freezer pops for teething. I have also seen "teething tablets" at the grocery store.
Good luck and remember it will be over soon!

thrillme
06-07-2007, 03:33 PM
I don't know how you feel and I might get flamed..but my Scottish grandmother use to rub a tiny amt of whiskey on our gums (according to my mom) and it did the trick.
!

That's funny that's what my husband's mother used to swear by. Nothing big...just dipped a Q-tip in whiskey and dab it on the sore spot of the gum. Alas...that was back in the days when everything was still black and white.

Tinkerfreak
06-08-2007, 10:08 AM
I'd let him **** on a frozen facecloth. It's cooling and will fit in the mouth quite easily.
My pediatrician said NOT to use oragel, or such because it "toughens the gums" and makes it harder for the teeth to break through.
On the plus side after the first couple of teeth it's usually not an issue

My doc said the exact same think about oragel, he said it toughens the gums and just makes it hurt more in the long run. He also recommended using Tylenol and I found that worked the best. I also used to really cold wash cloth trick. My girls hated the frozen teeting rings and never used them but they would chew on a freezing cold wash cloth and it really would quiet them down and sooth their gums, plus the chewing will help break the teeth through.

janebanks
06-08-2007, 05:32 PM
That's funny that's what my husband's mother used to swear by. Nothing big...just dipped a Q-tip in whiskey and dab it on the sore spot of the gum. Alas...that was back in the days when everything was still black and white.
Some friends of ours tried this trick with peach brandy at our urging, and it worked almost instantly. It was like someone flipped a switch and the crying stopped. It wasn't more than a single drop.

The Tylenol method sounds good, too.

Please be aware infants are not supposed to receive ibuprofin under the age of 6 months (I don't know why).

maizey05
06-08-2007, 06:53 PM
Rub Tylanol on his gums? Never heard of that, but I'll give it a try. Myself and DS came to visit my Dad (Grandpa Don) and DS fell asleep almost instantly, when he held him. They're both napping together now...almost 2 hours! Go Dad! Thanks for the tips and suggestions.

Terra
06-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Ahhh.....glad he got a nap in with grandpa!!

The mesh teether is GREAT!! I put ice chips in it and also frozen Juicy Juice ice chips....
The wash cloth is great too!!

ALSO!! ...they have this new vibrating teether at Walmart and my son LOVES it!! When he bites down it vibrates and it helps him!!

My son has been teething as well since 4 months and here we are at almost 7 months and those darn things still haven't broken through!!!

DREAMADREAM93
06-08-2007, 07:12 PM

Shoot, my family still does it!

JOrdan :]

ElenitaB
06-08-2007, 07:25 PM
Please be aware infants are not supposed to receive ibuprofin under the age of 6 months (I don't know why).
Ibuprofin and Advil (are they the same drug?) are metabolized by the kidneys... maybe their little kidneys aren't developed enough under 6 months to do so.

I used Humphrey's #3 (it's a homeopathic remedy) with my son for teething... it was my lifesaver! Allowed us both to nap!

BrerGnat
06-08-2007, 08:12 PM
You know, I just read that ibuprofen is safe for infants under 6 months now. Call the baby's pedi and ask what the dose would be (it is done by weight). I find the ibuprofen works SO much better and longer than Tylenol.

I have a 14 month old and he is also teething. I hate to tell you that this will go on until ALL the teeth are in (they need to get 20 in total...)

Both my boys had a heck of a time with teething. None of the teeth were "easier" after the first few. In fact, the worst are the molars, which we are dealing with now.

Some things that worked for us:

-wrap an ice cube (the kind that automatic ice makers produce are the best) in a washcloth, secure with a hairtie (less likely to break than a rubber band), wet the ice cube portion of the towel, and let baby ****/bite on it. You hold the dry part of the towel and when the ice starts to melt, the dry towel absorbs the water.

-let him chew on a baby toothbrush. I guess the bristles feel good.

-If he is bottle fed, try giving him cold formula or even cold breastmilk. Or, just give him a bottle of ice cold water. Don't let him drink too much water, though.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-10-2007, 12:04 AM
Most of those teething rings aren't made to really fit in the mouth in order to allow the little one to really be able to chew and bear down on them. So how can they do any good? Someone needs to invent a new one.
The cold wash cloths worked for my nephews. They can put as much as they can handle in their mouth and really "bite" on it.