PDA

View Full Version : HELP Hotels between Gettysburg and Cleveland

thrillme
06-06-2007, 11:12 AM
OK...here it goes. We're going on a road trip to an adventure way beyond anything I've ever done before. We're going to leave Virgina to visit "Gettysburg". After a few hours there we're looking at making our way BACK to "Cleveland" where we'll be flying out (back to San Antonio). It's really hard to plan how long we're going to spend at Gettysburg since I've never been there. I also don't know how tired I'm going to be or not be heading to Cleveland. I'm predicting that I'll probably be ready to stop about 3-4 hours into the trip. Then I don't know what traffic can be like either. It could easily turn a 5 hour trip into a 7 hour trip.

The question I ponder...We're going to be doing this trip about the 24th or 25th of July. Would there be a decent chance of not previously booking a hotel and hopefully finding a "reasonable" one (motel 6/super 8) somewhere along the way just to rest for the night? I know down here in SA we book up pretty solidly. But I don't have a CLUE how good or bad things get up North hotelwise.

kakn7294
06-06-2007, 02:20 PM
If you are traveling along the PA turnpike, you should be able to find plenty of hotels along the way. There are generally at least 2+ at each exit, usually more. Somehow I doubt that all of these places would be completely booked. If you belong to AAA, be sure to grab a PA tour book and have a good map handy. What I did several years ago in a similar situtation was compare where we were on the map to what was ahead and looked for hotels in the tourbook then called to check availablity. It saved a lot of needless driving around and stopping at places that couldn't accomodate us. And you will have the added bonus of knowing that the place is AAA approved and get a general idea of what the rates should be like. BTW, traffic generally isn't bad along the PA turnpike unless there is construction (which is highly possible) or a bad accident. Have a great trip!

thrillme
06-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Awesome. I'm hoping just for something like a Motel Six or something. It'll be mid week. I've maxed out on PLANNING. So pretty much after our day at Gettysburg...I'm looking at just vacationing on a "wing and a prayer" going to whatever seems most "interesting"

Tick-Tock
06-07-2007, 02:21 PM
A few years ago, the Wednesday before Thanksgiving we went from Gettysburg to Antietam, then across West Virginia heading into Ohio (Columbus). We found a hotel by the highway (somewhere in W. Va., I think), no problem.

thrillme
06-07-2007, 03:42 PM
That's good to know. I've got hotels all planned out for the first part of the trip to make sure we hit everything we are going to hit but...on the way back I have pretty much between the 24-28th to kinda relax.

I figure after 10 days of running like crazy hitting place to place I'm going to start getting tired of driving and I don't want to push too crazy.