PDA

View Full Version : Questions regarding AKL and CBR!!!

k_reile
06-05-2007, 12:54 PM
I currently have a king bed reservation at CBR for 09/22 thru 09/29 with free dining. I originally wanted to stay at AKL savanah view but did not think we could afford the addtl $1000. Well, I think we have more money to spend than we originally thought... sooooo

should we stay at AKL with savanah room and free dining for $1000 more....or keep CBR with king bed with free dining...

For those of you who have stayed at these resorts...how is the transportation? We want to go to DTD and pleasure island....are those far away from AKL? Which resort is more centrally located?

Is AKL worth it? Pretty much my decision will be based on transportation and of course the cost.

Thanks in advance:mickey:

WDWgoofy
06-05-2007, 01:26 PM
I've stayed at both CBR and AKL on numerous occasions; these are our most favorite resorts.

Another option you have is to stay at AKL (regular room) and request a room away from the parking lot and hope for the best. These would allow you to stay at AKL and save some money (but you might not get a view).

AKL is located away from many entertainment areas. On the otherhand, CBR is centrally located.

I cannot comment on bus service as I always rent a car.

Only you can decide the value of $1000.

If it were me, I would split the trip and stay first at CBR, then move to AKL. This way you get to experience both great resorts.:mickey:

k_reile
06-05-2007, 02:40 PM
I've stayed at both CBR and AKL on numerous occasions; these are our most favorite resorts.

Another option you have is to stay at AKL (regular room) and request a room away from the parking lot and hope for the best. These would allow you to stay at AKL and save some money (but you might not get a view).

AKL is located away from many entertainment areas. On the otherhand, CBR is centrally located.

I cannot comment on bus service as I always rent a car.

Only you can decide the value of $1000.

If it were me, I would split the trip and stay first at CBR, then move to AKL. This way you get to experience both great resorts.:mickey:

The standard room is not offered on Free Dining(well it is offered---not available---room we want is a king bed)

Can't split trip because we are checking in on the last day of free dining...we would not get free dining for rest of the trip.

That is what I was afraid of being away from the entertainment district....
I could also stay at WL standard room (but have to buy my own DPP) for about same price as AKL savanah room free dining...what do you think of WL?

mrsgaribaldi
06-05-2007, 06:16 PM
I've never stayed at the AKL but I have stayed 3 times at CBR. It's one of my favorite resorts. We never use the transportation so I can't help you with that, sorry. I can tell you that you will probably love the resort. It's really beautiful. It's very big and each little "village" has its own pool. I love the food court and the shopping area too.:thumbsup:

Disney Maniac
06-05-2007, 06:41 PM
I just stayed at AKL from May 28th-June 3rd and loved it very much. The bus ride to DTD was only about 15min and so was the ride to other theme parks, except AK it was a 5min bus ride. I say if you have the money and you can get a reservation stay at the AKL!!!!!

rnin02
06-05-2007, 11:22 PM
2nd try, my first post got "eaten"!

If you have the money to spare, stay at AKL. We've stayed at both CBR and AKL and loved them both. I would stay at AKL again in a heartbeat. The bus transportation isn't that much longer. When I think back to the busses at AKL I don't remember being on them for a really long time, I just remember not liking the walk uphill from the bus stop to the resort. It was a bad walk, just somewhat tiring at the end of the day. While CBR is probably more centrally located...I don't think the distance involved would impact your vacation significantly. We went to DTD/Pleasure Island multiple times, and I really don't remember thinking "wow this hotel is so far away, why did we stay here?", its not bad at all. AKL is definitely a great place to stay and a great experience.

Momof2boys
06-06-2007, 12:54 PM
At CBR the busses go around to each "island" so that adds extra time - same thing for drop off. We're staying at AKL in October because with the non-sharing of busses, it'll be about the same travel time. It may be further away, but no necessarily longer time-wise.

Septbride2002
06-06-2007, 02:12 PM
I cannot stand CBR. Everything is so spread out, and it just seems to take forever to get anywhere. Plus the decor is obnoxious and not island feeling.

Go with AKL - we loved our stay there. The place is fantastic and especially if you can afford a Savannah view. Plus the resturants are MUCH MUCH better including Mara (counter service).

~Amanda

hokies4life
06-06-2007, 02:25 PM
I remember enjoying CBR as a kid when we were there many years ago, but we were also at the last pickup for the buses. The buses at CBR will stop at every bus stop to pick people up...until they get full. So depending on where you are in the pick up "schedule" you may wait longer than you would like.

I would also stay at AKL again in a heartbeat, especially with a savannah view. The Disney transportation is great, and I don't think there would be any problem about getting back and forth from DTD/PI or anywhere else.

:chipdale:

rnin02
06-06-2007, 02:27 PM
I cannot stand CBR. Everything is so spread out, and it just seems to take forever to get anywhere. Plus the decor is obnoxious and not island feeling.

Go with AKL - we loved our stay there. The place is fantastic and especially if you can afford a Savannah view. Plus the resturants are MUCH MUCH better including Mara (counter service).

~Amanda

I'm sorry you hated CBR so much! Were you put in Trinidad South? We got put there our 2nd time, and I think if we had been put there our first visit, we wouldn't have enjoyed ourselves, since we didn't already know our way around the resort and didn't already love it.

MMouse6937
06-06-2007, 02:28 PM
We have stayed at the CBR numerous times and absolutely love it. The gounds give it a very tropical feeling. It has a lot of pools and the main pool is fun with water slide and a nice little bar to sit next to the pool and enjoy a tooty fruity drink! :D We also never use Disney transportation so can't help you there. We thought the only thing that CBR was lacking was a good sit down restaurant although the food court was very nice. We have not stayed at the AKL, but are considering it for next year. You would definately have nice options to eat and the grounds look absolutely wonderful. If you have never stayed at the CBR, my opinion is try it with the free dining. Maybe plan one of your meals at Boma or Jiko and see what it has to offer so you will know for next time. Have fun planning!! :mickey: