PDA

View Full Version : Dining Reviews Part 3

January-2007
06-05-2007, 12:30 PM
50's Prime Time Cafe
We slept in and when we got to MGM a nice lunch sounded like the perfect start to our day. We walked to the booth thing where you can get dining reservations in-park and got an ADR no problem for right then at the 50's Prime Time Cafe. We walked over to the restaurant and the line to check in was out the door, but it was okay because we would be inside soon. It turns out the reason there was such a wait to check in and there were so many people in the waiting area is because the restaurant had JUST opened for the day, so everyone was there all at once. I love the waiting room, so it was no big deal, and less than five minutes later we were being shown to our table for 2.

Our table was great because there were TVs in the room so we could watch them a little and look at the stuff in the restaurant. Our server was "Uncle Tim" and he was great. I had my elbows on the table, oops, and we had to hurry and go wash our hands before lunch. DH and I both ordered the exact same thing: chocolate ice cream sodas and chicken pot pie. When we got back from washing our hands the ice cream sodas were at the table, so we were drinking away, and "Uncle Tim" comes over and tells us not to fill up on them before lunch! It was really fun. The chicken pot pies were the strangest looking things, but then I'm starting to see a trend with this, restaurants changing what it is to be a chicken pot pie and creating something unique with it. We liked it even though it was a little different than what we thought it would be. It tasted really good, homemade. DH got "in trouble" for not eating his carrots it was so funny Uncle Time said "you better eat those carrots or you'll end up like her [me] with glasses!" That was so funny. This was by far my favorite restaurant "experience" of the entire trip. I am so glad we had fun here! It was so great that we were able to get same day, even right then reservations. It makes me smile just thinking about it. We will definately be returning here! Has anyone had the pot roast?

Biergarten
In January we ate here for lunch, and this time we went for dinner. It was so much busier, but there were also some additional things on the buffet line, so I think maybe it's worth it to come for dinner. I loved the potato dumplings, and there was this beef thing that was almost like stew. Very good stuff. DH ate sausages like last time, he just loves them. I like Spaetzle a lot so I had to get some of that too. DH forgot that the black forest cake here is no good so he tried it again. They had this blueberry "cheesecake" that was really good and different, though it tasted more like really good blueberry muffin batter compressed and baked than any cheesecake I've ever tried. Maybe we were reading the signs wrong. That's just what someone said it was called. We left here stuffed as always, though I think we did try to eat less than last time. It's all so good though! I timed our reservation a little wrong though, I need to fix that for September so we can see the show when we start dinner, not when we're finished!

Chef Mickey's Breakfast
Wow! Loved it! We were extremely apprehensive about keeping this breakfast after our yucktastic experience at the Cape May breakfast, but decided it was worth a shot, at least then we would know and not have to wonder. Am I ever glad that we went!

After all the trouble it was getting this ADR, calling day after day being told it was full and then getting in after someone cancelled a week or so before our trip, all I can say is this- it was worth it! So much fun! We got there 5 minutes after our ADR time, but they didn't mind. It was early and we had to figure out how to get there! We had our picture taken and then only had to wait a few short minutes before it was our time to be seated. The lady who seated us really started the whole event off on the right foot. She was so excited to be there, and was so excited that it was our first time there. As we were walking past the buffet the music started playing and we had to wait for the parade to go by. Donald was dancing, it was so awesome! I got a great picture!

The characters here- wow- just like the cartoons! They were so incredible! We were seated in an upper room and could look out these huge windows a few tables over to some amazing views. The food here was really tasty. I think this might be my favorite food of the trip. They had this pizza looking type dish that had zuccinni and lots of cheese, it was my favorite. I finally got to try a "Sticky Mickey" and it wasn't the best thing ever, but as part of the buffet I didn't have to worry myself over that. DH tried the potatoes O'Brien and of course the sausage, and he even had a bowl of cereal! Lots of fun here, a great party atmosphere and a great meal. Best character breakfast ever! We have to do this from now on, I loved it! Who has done dinner after doing breakfast, is it as good? The candies all lined up for the evening dessert bar was so cool! We have breakfast scheduled for September, I'm just wondering if we should add dinner too.

That's all for Part 3. Coming up... Earl of Sandwich, Sci Fi Dine In, and Raglan Road. From sandwiches to fu fu food, stay tuned.

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
06-05-2007, 01:00 PM
We had "Uncle Tim" in the fall of 2005...glad to hear he is still there...he was a blast!

disneydrmr
06-05-2007, 01:11 PM
Glad to hear you had a good 'relative' at Prime Time...I had the meat loaf when I was there and it was yummy!
Chef Mickey's is a fun place and the cms there are out of this world! We had an issue with getting pictures (long story) and the cms made sure every character came back around for us to redo our photos!
After reading about Biergarten I now wish we had kept this ADR on our trip.. oh well... I'll know for next time!

SBETigg
06-05-2007, 01:29 PM
At last, some good meal experiences! 5O's Prime Time sounds like fun. Yum, chicken pot pie sounds so good right now!

We're trying the Biergarten for the first time next trip. Now I'm excited. (but I'll watch out for the Black Forest Cake, which is normally a favorite dessert for me).

Best character breakfast ever at Chef Mickey's? That's a strong endorsement. So glad you had a great time!

bibbidiboo3
06-05-2007, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the great reviews. We've planned a trip for September and made ADR's without knowing the restaurants. It's nice to know that you enjoyed yourself and the food at Chef Mickey's, Sci Fi and 50's Prime Time - we're planning on those, too!!:D

Mickey91
06-05-2007, 03:36 PM
50's Prime Time Cafe
Has anyone had the pot roast?

Chef Mickey's Breakfast
Who has done dinner after doing breakfast, is it as good?

I have had the pot roast and loved it!!:mickey:

We will be having dinner there in Sept. I'll let you know how good it is!:mickey:

Septbride2002
06-06-2007, 05:43 PM
I've never had a bad meal at 50s Prime time. I love their fried clam poorboy sandwich. YUM!

Glad you had a great time at Chef Mickeys - we didn't like it that much when we were there:secret: