PDA

View Full Version : Grand Cayman Beaches

FatCat
06-04-2007, 02:33 PM
Anyone have any insight on the Grand Cayman beach scene.

It appears Smith Beach is the closest public beach just south of the port.

The options for 7 mile beach appear to be to take a cab all the way to the north end where there are public facilities.

Or pay for the Disney shore excursion which is quite costly.

(Rum Point is to far for us)

My understanding is that all the beaches in Grand Cayman are public. However private entries to the beach and use of beach chairs/facilities can be accessed.

I am just curious to peoples experience with the cheap public beach experiences vs. booking the excursion. It does not seem that you get much besides transportation, a drink, and a chair.

Am I missing something?

Santuitman
06-04-2007, 03:58 PM
Just remember a Disney booked excursion will be garaunteed to get you back to the boat. If you book your own and are running late they may not hold the ship for you. We've seen people running for the ship more than once (not Disney) while they're pulling up the gangway 'cause they went off on their own.

I'm jealous!!! We were there in December but just did a tour. Have fun!!

Brian

vicster
06-04-2007, 04:30 PM
I would stick with paying for the shore excursions also - don't want to miss the ship. We went swimming with the stingrays in Grand Cayman which was totally awsome. We also went to "Hell". It was definitely different sending postcards postmarked "Hell". In any event - have fun!

FatCat
06-04-2007, 04:43 PM
I understand comment about guarantee of transportation.

In my case I have two younger children.

This means beach excursion will be 2 hours max. Plenty of time to get back to boat and on my own schedule.

My younger kids just want beach experience. We do not want to snorkel, pet fish, or anything extravagant.

It seems very costly $36+ per adult $26+ per kid to sit on a public beach and get a chair, drink & ride.

Any info on public beach scene would be great.

g.r.
06-09-2007, 10:45 AM
We've rented a PT Cruiser convertible for the day in George Town. BUT...I'm going to keep an eye on my watch to make sure we don't get stranded. LOL

Has anyone else just rented a car and toured the island by themselves? Any info would be appreciated.