PDA

View Full Version : If you could create a ride based on the movie "Cars" what would it be?

DakotaDisney
06-04-2007, 12:16 PM
Curious what people's ideas would be. This is not a rumor, just dreaming and using imagination.

In another post a while back someone suggested making the speedway ride at MK a "Cars" themed ride. I think that would be fun for kids, but how about another type of ride for others? A new ride and not just a makeover.

One idea for a ride that I have had for a long time might I think might be kind of fun as a "Cars" ride would be a rollercoaster type ride. After having been on Test Track for the first time and loving it I would now change my idea to be a little more like Test Track instead of roller coaster.

My idea is to have 3 or 4 cars similar to the Test Track ride cars, but made to look like the "Cars" characters. It would be a car race type ride that would be a rollercoaster type ride, but more like the outside part of Test Track with no loops, just different terrain, turns, hills etc. The ride would have fast elements like a good roller coaster and Test Track. I know there are racing rollercoasters out there with 2 sets of cars, but I would like to see one with 3 or 4 cars built more like real cars, just like the Test Track vehicles. I am not a rollercoaster fan with loops, big drops and spins, but I like fast rides, themed rides and I thought Test Track was great, but it needed more of fast part outside.

The cars would race each other and each time you ride the results would be different. There could be character voices, sound effects, music etc. in the cars to set the theme. Maybe even some scenery like in the movie to set the stage.

I don't know where you would put the ride, probably at Disney Studios. What do you think? Any other ideas?

FormerCastMember
06-04-2007, 01:14 PM
nothing....no more attractions should be based on pixar films...thats one thing that i do not agree with

so you were looking for any suggestions...heres mine

NOTHING.....leave it as the movie...its bad enough to hear that Test Track may possibly get a CARS overlay or that the Tomorrowland Speedway may be transformed into CARS

PrincessEmmasMommy
06-04-2007, 01:18 PM
I agree with changing the Tomorrowland Speedway to fit the Cars and Rt. 66 Theme. It would be easy and inexpensive. The children would love it! My DD4 loves "RaceCars" as she calls it.
Jen

future_imagineer
06-04-2007, 01:21 PM
I'd build a ride where all of the Pixar-based rides at WDW get inside of a giant Lightning McQueen, get on I-4, and drive right out of WDW.

Please, NO MORE PIXAR AT WDW!

biodtl
06-04-2007, 01:35 PM
I'd like the Cars version of Speedway, too.

I'm curious - why do folks dislike thr Pixar stuff so much? I haven't been around too long, so i am wondering if I missed something.

future_imagineer
06-04-2007, 01:54 PM
I'd like the Cars version of Speedway, too.

I'm curious - why do folks dislike thr Pixar stuff so much? I haven't been around too long, so i am wondering if I missed something.

It's not so much that we dislike Pixar, per se, but that the Three P's, as I say (Pixar, Pirates, and, to a lesser and slightly more justifiable extent, Princess) are dominating all that is being built at WDW these days - TWDC is using the P's as an excuse not to do much creating storytelling of their own.

I don't dislike what Pixar has done at all; with a few exceptions, I have seen all of the Pixar films the weekend they came out. However, it is how TWDC is using Pixar's stories that irks me to a great degree.

dizneeat
06-04-2007, 03:58 PM
well, there is already an existing Cars ride!! It will officially be opened in Disneyland Resort Paris this coming weekend.
We were lucky enough to see a few people trying it during the soft opening of the toon-studios. It is kind of "teacups" ride. The cars are moving on two circles which build up one big 8. They turn on their own while going in the big circles. VERY near misses during turns, LOL. It is LOTS of fun for the little ones.

Queen Stephanie
06-04-2007, 04:08 PM
I love the idea of refurbishing the Speedway in Tomorrowland to the flavor of the movie "CARS":car:...I can't believe it hasn't already happened. Let's face it, the little Speedway ride has been long outdated and needs a new millineum facelift, and what better change than to the theme of Cars. :truck: I love the idea...now "chop, chop" get to it all you Disney Imagineers! The Queen

MickeyandTink
06-04-2007, 07:20 PM
I love the idea of refurbishing the Speedway in Tomorrowland to the flavor of the movie "CARS":car:...I can't believe it hasn't already happened. Let's face it, the little Speedway ride has been long outdated and needs a new millineum facelift, and what better change than to the theme of Cars. :truck: I love the idea...now "chop, chop" get to it all you Disney Imagineers! The Queen

And putting a Flo's V-8 cafe next to it would be a natural. Luigi's garage could be your gift shop. Just my :twocents:

MOJoe
06-05-2007, 10:17 AM
I'm a big Indy Racing fan. But Indy has been eclipsed by Nascar. When you talk to kids - or anyone else for that matter - about racing, They don't mention the Indy 500. It's all Dale Jr. this and Jeff Gordon that. So the Indy Speedway really needs to have a fresh look and a name change anyway. The Cars movie would be an easy refurb, and bring new life to a rather dull attraction.

Jared
06-05-2007, 10:26 AM
I support Pixar attractions and do not understand why so many people on these boards are against new rides based on truly excellent films.

Theming the Tomorrowland Indy Speedway to "Cars" is a perfect facelift the ride needs. I understand the change would leave three Pixar-themed attractions in Tomorrowland, but they are both solid experiences. In fact, Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin is one of the best rides in the Magic Kingdom.

My family never rides the Tomorrowland Indy Speedway anymore. A "Cars" theme would definitely draw us to the ride.

Gator
06-06-2007, 01:37 AM
This wil make someone mad, I'm sure. Change Test Track. Turn the cars into "Cars" with McQueen, the King, the Porshe, and the Low Rider. Then have the final speed track be the race portion.

LibertyTreeGal
06-06-2007, 07:43 AM
Well, what I would love to see is a ride for the kiddos based on Mater driving backwards. I think it would be a scream, literally. They should do it at DCA, it would fit in well there, and they need more rides.

cetacean01
06-06-2007, 10:08 AM
nothing....no more attractions should be based on pixar films...thats one thing that i do not agree with

NOTHING.....leave it as the movie...its bad enough to hear that Test Track may possibly get a CARS overlay or that the Tomorrowland Speedway may be transformed into CARS

NO WAY!!!! Pixar is doing a wonderful job and fits nicely into the Disney Family. I CANT WAIT for disney/pixar studios. They have created a whole new world for Disney, and opened up door to all sorts of new attractions.

FormerCastMember
06-14-2007, 03:06 PM
I like pixar attractions but i hate the fact that anytime there is a classic attraction that has anything to do with a pixar movie there is talk that it should be changed. Hence the test track/indy speedway cars layover.

CosmicRay
06-14-2007, 03:26 PM
I would agree to the cars ride at the speedway. But I don't think it would be good to put it where Test Track. Mainly because Epcot was to to be a place of learning and exploration, not the right place for a character ride.

katzctkpt
06-15-2007, 12:19 AM
A "Cars" ride needs to go in MGM which I've read is being renamed to Pixar Studios in the near future. Several ideas sounds great and since MGM doesn't really have a lot of kid friendly rides this would fit in good. Location of it should be where the backlot tour & who wants to be a millionaire is. Have the main characters racing on a track with a different scenario of who will win.
Just a thought.

MushuGrl
06-15-2007, 10:40 AM
I like the idea someone had of the coaster. Maybe starting out like the Aerosmith coaster where Lightning wakes up and realizes he's in Radiator Springs, and it's a race to get to the Piston Cup race in time.

Marker
06-15-2007, 01:48 PM
Wow, I thought the original question was about ideas for a Cars based ride, and not whether or not Pixar belongs at WDW.

Personally, I think the Tomorrowland Indy Speedway could very effectively incorporate a Cars theme. I like what someone mentioned about a Route 66 tie in.

If you want to think big, how about a "racecar" themed rollercoast with 4 separate tracks. Each ride vehicle is an independant, 4 seat car. A "starting line" of 4 cars takes off at the drop a the green flag.
They ride their tracks independantly, coming into view of each other from time to time, perhaps even criss-crossing in some fashion, until they all cross a finish line. Theming along the track could be "Piston Cup" themed, or could also tie in a Route 66 feel, ending at the race track. It's just a thought.

As far as where the topic has wandered..... It seems to me that Pixar IS Disney. Disney owns Pixar, they're part of the team. Disney doesn't own Indiana Jones, Star Wars, The Wizard of Oz or MGM. Until relatively recently Disney didn't own the Muppets. But Disney OWNS Pixar. Pixar belongs more than those others do. And if Pixar doesn't belong, what about John Lasseter. I for one am pretty stoked about some of his visions for Disney. In fact, I'd even say that perhaps his visions are more "Disney" than a lot of they've had in the recent past. So yeah, in my opinion, Pixar belongs.

Khfan13
06-15-2007, 10:03 PM
I completely agree. Disney is Pixar and has been ever since the original Toy Story. I really like the idea of giving the Indy Speedway a Cars overlay, and putting Flo's Cafe and Luigis shop beside them. GREAT IDEA!!:number1::thumbsup:

DisneyDudet
06-16-2007, 09:52 AM
I am one of those that feel that the three P's have been over used, even though I LOVE all of the, (esp pirates....).

If you did an overlay of Tomorrowland Speedway, you may as well change Tomorrowland to Pixarland. It started out great with Buzz.. fun ride. I have yet to experience the new Laugh Floor, but I'm sure it will be cute and funny. If you throw one more Pixar attraction in there, thats what it will seem.

Nemo/Crush is placed nicely at Epcot, but still over done w/ the ride going full blown Nemo (we don't need two shows and a ride for one movie).

I think that when Lights Motors Action has run its course, that they could do a show for Cars... great chance to showcase great effects and technology. Making it a comedy show would be fun.

I'm not against Pixar, I'm just a little tired of the over use of it (and I will NEVER call it Pixar Studios if the rumors do turn true... it will always be MGM).

big blue and hairy
06-16-2007, 10:45 AM
It seems to me that Pixar IS Disney. Disney owns Pixar, they're part of the team.

EXACTLY!!!! Give me a break with all the Pixar complaints. Pixar is Disney! Pixar is a wholly owned Disney company, John Lassiter is a Disney employee, he is the head of WDFA. How much more Disney do you want? At this point saying you shouldn't use Cars is akin to saying to saying you shouldn't use Lion King!

:sulley:

Gotta Love Eeyore
06-17-2007, 12:55 PM
How about something as simple as Mr. Toad's Wild Ride? I miss that attraction. :(

aprilshowers93
07-16-2007, 06:31 PM
There is a ride in the works that is based on cars. It has been rumored on multiple sites that it will probable go in disney's california adventure park. This is a drawing of the planned ride in the annual report for 2006 (the latest one). It has 2 cars racing each other on a test track type ride. It also shows a small route 66 type town. The artwork can be found at http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2007_01_01_archive.html

Spacegirl
07-17-2007, 12:28 PM
Whether you like it or not, Pixar is this generation of kids "Disney". I, of course, would love everything to stay the same like when I was child but unfortunately things change for the next generation.

mdearmas
07-17-2007, 01:11 PM

you know we all have to remember that although we may enjoy the purity of old disney , it's for the kids. if the kids would enjoy a cars overlay on the tomorrowland speedway then go for it! :goofy:

Goes4FastPass
07-17-2007, 04:42 PM
... classic attraction... Hence the test track/indy speedway cars layover.There's nothing "classic" about Indy Speedway - every roadside/beachside amusement area has a similar attraction.

By the way, what does Disney have to do with the Indianapolis Motor Speedway?

This attraction needs a major gasolineless makeover.

dteed
07-17-2007, 05:49 PM
I would have thought a speedway /cars refurb would have been the way to go.

DisneyFreak23
07-17-2007, 05:54 PM
Mater: " I'm the world's best backwards driver"

a roller coaster based on that quote.

enough said.

Mickey91
07-18-2007, 10:09 AM
The tie in to tomorrowland speedway is the alien drivers. All of tomorrowland, at one time, with the exception of Carousel of Progress, was space themed. That being said, it may not be a bad idea to reinvent the speedway and give it a Cars overlay. Those who drive Mater could have a backward experience. You could have a drive through Radiator Springs and go tractor tippin', then end up at the Piston Cup championship. This would work better at the speedway than at Test Track. The entrance could be moved to Toon Town Fair and it could become a Toon Town attraction instead of a tomorrowland attraction.

As far as Pixar not having a place at Disney, that is silly. Pixar has created some of the most imaginative movies Disney has put on screen in the last few years. I love the computer animation and the great stories and characters. I don't think Disney needs to reinvent to become an all Pixar place, but to incorporate some of the best characters ever is a must.

I do have a problem with changing Mickey Ave. to Pixar Place. To take away from the mouse seems to be biting the hand that feeds you. After all, it was all started by a mouse.

CrazyStitch
07-18-2007, 12:40 PM
I'd want a new dark ride with high speed elements. Have it follow the movie, hitting key points in the plot. I can see a part where Lightning has lost Mack, and you're going through a dark room with traffic zooming past (they can simulate it by having stuff move at you as you're going through the room), then in total darkness, you go down a drop, with the sounds of squealing tires, stuff crashing, sirens, then when the light comes back, you see Lightning hanging from the powerlines, and begins the Radiator Springs part. Have parts of it that go outside, where the high speed racing takes place. Have the dirt track there, and when you hit the turn, the car spins out. Have a part where the car turns backward as you join Mater in his backward driving. Then the final part, back outside for the Piston Cup race.

It could be cool :)

carribeanpirate5
07-18-2007, 12:43 PM
It's not so much that we dislike Pixar, per se, but that the Three P's, as I say (Pixar, Pirates, and, to a lesser and slightly more justifiable extent, Princess) are dominating all that is being built at WDW these days - TWDC is using the P's as an excuse not to do much creating storytelling of their own.

I don't dislike what Pixar has done at all; with a few exceptions, I have seen all of the Pixar films the weekend they came out. However, it is how TWDC is using Pixar's stories that irks me to a great degree.

So let me understand, you like the movies Pixar puts out, but you do not like that WDW is themed around them. Didnt Walt say it was all started by a mouse? If your logic was applied back then, Disney would not exist.

Pixar has simply built on what disney animation began, using modern technology. disney was smart enough to partner with them and is reaping the benefits.

TinkInTraining
07-19-2007, 10:12 AM
I'm kind of torn on this one.

First off, "tomorrow" land is supposed to be about "tomorrow". I never did get why the speedway was in that land, per sea. It's a fun ride and all and my family truly enjoys it but it is definitely in need of an overhaul. It needs to go away from gas and go towards something more environmentally friendly.

Would I like it see it stay? Yes. Could it be done over with a Cars theme? Sure, if it also had a change in the way the cars were fueled, kill two birds with one stone.

I’m still not to sure that it should be in tomorrow land…futuristic and all…but it does have a place at MK.

I’m not against Pixar rides…Pixar movies have done a lot with Disney and they have a place at the table in my opinion.

As far as the other “p’s”. Well, there was much aversion to creating a Princess line back a few years ago. It’s been one of the best financial decisions Disney made…after all, besides the Mouse, pretty much all other Disney biggies are based on princesses of some sort. Princess sells…

Pirates have always been a theme with Disney also. POTC was long established before the movie ever came to light. Again, it’s been a huge success for Disney, why not capitalize on it. Everyone loves (well most everyone) it, kids and adults. I don’t see that it has taken over the parks, they’re just adding more to accentuate their success. Very smart business move.

After all, Disney is a business. We all love it and think of it as more personal and special but at the end of the day, it’s a business. All three of the P’s above have been very good business decisions….why not go with them.