PDA

View Full Version : Epcot Question?

Dreamin_of_Disney247
06-03-2007, 11:38 PM
Can someone tell me what Maelstrom and El Rio Del Tiempo like? I have a DD who is 3 and if it has big drops or "wees"as she calles them she doesnt really care for it. Any info is appreciated! :mickey:

WDWfanatic742
06-03-2007, 11:47 PM
El Rio Del Tiempo is now called Gran Fiesta Tour Starring The Three Caballeros. There are no drops on that ride and is very similar to IASW in some parts. Maelstrom can be a scary ride for little ones and does have a pretty long but not big backwards drop.

FormerCastMember
06-04-2007, 01:23 AM
both great attractions though so please if you have the time go ahead and experience them both...although its a shame you never experienced the old El Rio the new version in amazing!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
06-04-2007, 08:49 AM
My DD loves them both.:mickey:

The only part of Maelstrom she does not like is when a pair of troll eyes kind of pop up right before the drop (it is not a big one just long and backwards like someone else said). She actually loves the drop. I just tell her not to look at the eyes. ;) It really is a great ride. Maybe you can go on it first if it is not too busy and she what you think. My kids never want to miss it.

We have not seen the new version of El Rio Del Tiempo. I am looking forward to it. I heard they just changed some scenes so, she should like it.

Have fun!

Jenemmy
06-04-2007, 08:51 AM
It has been a while since I have been on Maelstrom, but I recall it being pretty dark in areas and there is this 3 headed troll that puts a curse on your boat and makes you go backwards. I don't think it is overly intense, but you may want to warn her about the troll man!

EvilQueen2006
06-04-2007, 09:27 AM
The drop in Maelstom is small, but it could be scary for little ones. If I'm remembering correctly, it appears that you are about to go down a bigger waterfall, before the boat changes directions and goes down the small drop.

Jared
06-04-2007, 10:00 AM
Maelstrom's presentation is scarier than the actual ride. The eerie audio and large trolls may frighten small children, but the movement of the boat is quite tame.

The backward drop is short, similar to the dip in Pirates of the Caribbean. If she is scared by certain dark rides, Maelstrom may be too intense.

Gran Fiesta Tour Starring The Three Caballeros is an upgraded version of El Rio Del Tiempo. Though I have not ridden the new attraction, I imagine it is similar to the old one.

DawsonAR
06-04-2007, 10:35 AM
My DS (5) is a little scared of Maelstrom but he will ride it. He won't go near Splash Mountain. El Rio Del Tiempo is more like It's a small world. He rides it but isn't crazy about it. My DD (8) love both of them.

Stu29573
06-04-2007, 10:52 AM
My daughter never had any trouble with either of these rides when she was little, but then again the Haunted Mansion has always been her favorite ride, so she doesn't mind "dark and spooky." She HATES big drops, however (always has) and had no problem with Maelstrom....

tinksmom02
06-04-2007, 09:40 PM
I think that going backwards down Maelstrom actually makes the drop less intense. Has anyone else felt this way?

psychotekkie
06-04-2007, 10:48 PM
I think that going backwards down Maelstrom actually makes the drop less intense. Has anyone else felt this way?

Strangely yes! I never could put my finger on it, but that's exactly it. It's not in front of you so you don't get the adrenaline rush of sitting on the edge of a drop. You just plop down.

My son was 2 last summer and had no problem with Malestrom, including the backward dip.

El Rio is even more mild than Malestrom but to our surprise he got the jitters in the queue area and took a lot of convincing to get him on the boat to begin with. (Looks like you're going into a dark tunnel). But once on the ride he absolutely loved it.

This time I will start by showing him the boats as they pass the restaurant/volcano area so he sees what happens with the boats before he gets on.

Belle619
06-06-2007, 01:14 PM
I'd have to agree with the other posts regarding Maelstrom - it isn't the drop that can be scary, but the trolls. Personally, I've always been ok with drops ever since I was little, but I'm a little freaked out by trolls of any kind. :blush: