PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Annual Suggestions for surviving the summer heat.

Speedy1998
06-03-2007, 10:18 PM
:cool:

Well it is time for summer again, so I thought I would start another thread about how to survive the summer heat.

1. Drink allot of water. I recommend that you actually start trying to get yourself properly hydrated the night before. Drink a big glass of water before you go to bed, and another when you wake up. You can also bring your mugs from the resort and fill it up at the water fountains. Or carry bottled water or a camelback if you prefer.

2. Don't drink Soda, or alcohol. The heat is not an acuse to drink more beer, it will eventually catch up with you and make you sick.

3. If you are staying on property consider a midday break to swim or nap.

4. During the hotest parts of the day visit the less popular, indoor high capacity attratctions like the Hall of Presidents, the American Adventure, or any of the movies shown in the World Showcase.

5. Sunscreen and lots of it. Nothing will ruin your vacation quicker than really bad sunburn.

6. Wear loose fitting light colored clothing, and do not tuck your shirt in.

7. If you start feeling sick, get out of the sun, put a wet cloth on the back of your neck and rest. (Do not forget to drink some water too.)

(This was a intresting touring idea that a family I met last year was using). Get up early and go to either Blizard Beach, or Typhoon Lagoon. Around Lunch time go back to the hotel to sleep. Get up in the early evening and head to the park with the evening EMH, and stay till park close.

More tips are welcome!!

Have fun and stay cool :cool: this summer everyone.

DizNee143
06-04-2007, 12:53 PM
those are excellent tips for the surviving heat whether your at Disney or not!...i have nothing to add since i think you got it all covered...but i just wanted to totally agree about the water thing!!! just keep drinking water..it really does help!! i drink water the whole time when im in Disney except for when i have lunch and dinner...otherwise its all water!!..
i have also heard about those cool neck things that go on your neck (obviosuly..lol) and are suppose to keep you rather cool...

LibertyTreeGal
06-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Stay indoors and go to WDW in November or January instead :D

Pop Centurion
06-04-2007, 03:14 PM
Excellent tips but let's not forget mind over matter. :thumbsup: If you believe that it's not hot it really does help. And let's not forget, a good Dole Whip is a great survival aid for the heat.

Ayndi
06-04-2007, 03:21 PM
I carry a cotton bandana in the hot months, which I soak in water from the water fountains and drape around my neck.

Oh, and don't forget the deodorant, we all appreciate that!

:mickey:

pook@wdw
06-04-2007, 06:14 PM
We're big on the hand-held fans w/the water-mister, and the various interactive "water spouts" . Don't worry, you'll dry quick!!:thumbsup:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
06-04-2007, 06:40 PM
Hats are a must have for us. I know some people don't like the look, or hat hair..lol, but it really makes a difference with how much sun your face gets.

I always bring travel size deodorant and a lightly scented lotion to the parks. Fresh is always better. :blush:

Cornstarch powder is awesome for sweaty necks and backs. My kids love it when I just sprinkle it down their shirts. They say it helps to cool them off.

We also use the mister fans and freeze washcloths to bring in a baggie the next day. Wipe faces off and then reapply the sunblock!

We go in September when it is always hot. These things help a lot.

psychotekkie
06-04-2007, 11:19 PM
We're big on the hand-held fans w/the water-mister, and the various interactive "water spouts" . Don't worry, you'll dry quick!!:thumbsup:

We enjoyed using these misters as well, but last time in the park, we got so tired of lugging them around, we just stopped bringing them. This time we are bringing tiny little misters (the ones that you can put cologne or glasses-cleaner in) They are a small 4-inch cylinder so they fit in a pocket or fanny pack, and you can just refill them when you pass a fountain. No fan attached, but muy convenient.

Also, make sure that sunblock gets on your entire foot. The spaces where light gets through your shoe could be your undoing. And if you're losing your hair, get it on the top of your head! And if you get wet, put it on again.

Headache and nausea (though you may blame it on Mission Space) is often a symptom of dehydration and heat exhaustion. Take a cool break indoors and rehydrate.

Speedy1998
06-07-2007, 12:51 PM
Also, make sure that sunblock gets on your entire foot. The spaces where light gets through your shoe could be your undoing. .

I realize that sandles and other open shoes are popular to keep help keep cool, but I really recommend to protect your feet by wearing a good pair of sneakers, they provide more support, and you do not have to worry about burning the top of your feet.

Also with everyone metioning getting wet as a way to stay cool, I also feel the need to metion that to protect your feet you should at least put dry socks on everytime you get the chance.

thrillme
06-07-2007, 01:01 PM
Everything looks pretty well covered...I 2nd the motion for cornstarch. My ex boyfriend had a horrible issue with a heat rash. I kept pushing for him to try some "cornstarch" and he was too macho and refused. Finally desperate for relief...he tried it. Imagine that I was right for a change...

In the meantime drinking water should happen BEFORE you get thirsty. Ideally start drinking LOTS of water 3 days before your trip. Once your body is already sweating and you're getting "thirsty"...you're already losing the little bit you may have to stay hydrated.

Dyanna
06-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Mouse ears ice cream!:bar:

grumpycajun
06-07-2007, 03:49 PM
It's all pretty much covered here with the most important thing being to stay hydrated. A few glasses of water in the morning to get started and plenty of water or sports drink during the day.

Along the same line as the wet bandanna idea, some sporting goods stores sell an item that is worn around the neck. I forget what it's called, but you put it in the fridge (or ice chest) for a while before using and it stays cold for hours.

Quasimodo
06-08-2007, 10:47 AM
If you travel to WDW in your own vehicle, freeze several water bottles at home. Make sure to freeze them for 3 or 4 days before you leave so they will stay frozen for several days. Then bring them with you in a cooler. An electric cooler if you have one. They should stay frozen solid for several days in the cooler. Then bring at least one per person into the park with you. They are a bit heavy at the beginning of the day, but well worth it when the day gets hot.