PDA

View Full Version : How do you look for a new job?

KCMom
06-03-2007, 09:33 PM
How and where do you start looking for a new job? DH has expressed interest in updating his resume and looking for a job that pays a little more money. He's had this job since before our daughter was born. I don't know where to look. Do you just look in the local paper, or do you use monster.com, or what??? Any and all suggestions or advice would be welcome. It's a little scary, and we'd take all the help we can get. Thanks!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-03-2007, 09:37 PM
Register with employment agencies. They have a vested interest in finding you a job. And the more it pays the better for them.
I don't know if you can access Indeed.com out in your area. It pulls jobs from Monster, Job works, Craigslist etc in my area.

DisneyDog
06-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Beth, I sent you a PM with some ideas.

Jill

MsMin
06-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Sometimes it depends on the profession as well. Some businesses use their own website for apps while some professions still use the newspaper.

mrsgaribaldi
06-06-2007, 07:02 AM
I became a nurse in 1993 and I've had 2 nursing jobs. Each time a friend who worked there first told the boss about me and that's how I got an interview:blush:
I didn't exactly put myself out trying but hey, it worked for me. Good luck to your husband with his search:mickey:

SandmanGStefani24
06-08-2007, 02:46 PM
what I have done, and am doing is putting up a resume on monster, hotjobs, and career builder's sites. By putting these up, employers can see you and contact you if they think you're good for them. Plus, if you see something you like you can apply with just one click. By building your resume a few times you can really get good practice at selling yourself to a potential new job. Besides, there's nothing wrong with keeping your options open, right?
Plus, keep your eyes open for new offices, stores, ect. A new store can be a great way to make a new start. Keep your eyes and ears peeled and good luck!

crazypoohbear
06-09-2007, 02:31 PM
I've never posted a resume on line but wouldn't that be dangerous...What if your current boss sees it? How does that work?

BrerGnat
06-10-2007, 12:38 AM
Monster is a GREAT way to find a new job!

I found a job there in the past, my sister found her current job there (for a VERY high profile company...she is a graphic designer), my FATHER found his current job there (another very high profile company) and my mother found her current job there.

You shouldn't have to worry about your boss finding your profile. There are literally millions of profiles up there, and unless your boss is trying to find it, it will be very difficult. And even so, your DH will have to eventually mention that he is looking for another job...he will need time off for interviews and such. He can't expect to keep it a secret forever.

Monster is great, and it's FREE! I would start by posting a resume, make it PUBLIC, and then start searching for jobs. If you find one that sounds good, you just click a button to sent them your resume. That's it! SO easy...