PDA

View Full Version : Where would you stay to avoid the Pop Warner crowds?

Pearlie
06-03-2007, 03:08 PM
We're going to be at WDW during the Pop Warner events (not planned, and we're not part of Pop Warner, I booked airfare before doing my research). I know the values are out as that is where they will be staying mostly, but which moderates and/or deluxes serve as overflow?

I have nothing against the group, I just want to avoid the crowds and noisiness.

I was going to splurge on booking a DVC villa (too scared to do the renting points, I was going to get the room through Disney), but then I read on that the DVC resorts will be at near or full capacity with DVC-ers using their points during the low point time. Do you really notice the full capacity? I guess the advantage there would be that I am guessing it's safe to assume they won't be cheering in the courtyards ;)

I am not sure what we should do. DH suggested that we just reschedule the trip (I already booked airfare, so I was hoping to be able to not have to pay the airline penalties for the cancellation and rescheduling). In addition to my not wanting to rebook the air (and incur the fees), I have never been to WDW to see the Christmas decorations, so I was really looking forward to this trip.

Any tips on where to stay to avoid the crowds, or is dh right, should I just rebook (and if so, when would be a better time, but that would also still allow us to see the decorations)?

Thanks in advance :)

garymacd
06-03-2007, 03:17 PM
I would stay home...

wilshade
06-03-2007, 03:27 PM
Dont over react. That's the first thing. Any of the moderates or deluxes will serve you nicely.

I have been to WDW twice during Pop Warner time and both times stayed at Pop Century where most of them are.

The only times it had any impact on me at all was at breakfast and dinner at the food court. That's it.

And, at no time, did it impact me in the parks.

Pearlie
06-03-2007, 03:32 PM
Dont over react. That's the first thing. Any of the moderates or deluxes will serve you nicely.

I have been to WDW twice during Pop Warner time and both times stayed at Pop Century where most of them are.

The only times it had any impact on me at all was at breakfast and dinner at the food court. That's it.

And, at no time, did it impact me in the parks.

I was getting nervous, but I guess it doesn't have the impact I was envisioning (thankfully)

I appreciate your sharing your insight. If you were at the same resort and it was no problem, I am not going to worry about it (or change dates). Thanks :)

Mickey91
06-03-2007, 07:14 PM
I think they stay at value for the most part. But, where ever you decide to stay, book it now!!!

TammiMcMan
06-03-2007, 09:39 PM
Last year, the resorts that were part of the Pop Warner package, included the All Stars and POR. Overflow sometimes does go into the Pop. You won't find any of the teams at the deluxe resorts, so you may want to look into the WL or AKL (if you only need to accomodate 4). I think everyone looks at the impact of this event a little bit differently. The most reported problems seem to be at meal times in the food courts and loud groups on the buses. There's really not much difference in park crowds, because there are football games, practices and cheer competitions going on all week that the kids must attend. When we were there a few years ago, MGM closed early one night (I think it was Thursday) for a Pop Warner party. I didn't notice anything on the December park hours, but it's something you may want to check on before you finalize any park hopping plans for that week.

TiggerRPh
06-03-2007, 10:11 PM
Any of the Deluxe or DVC resorts and you'll be safe.

kakn7294
06-04-2007, 12:01 AM
For the last couple of years, the Pop Warner crowds stay at the All-Stars and POR. They do not stay at the Deluxe level. We stayed at POFQ and aside from them being on the same buses which can get a bit noisy (but are generally noisy anyway), we didn't encounter any real issues. Most of the day, they are busy with Pop Warner competitions and when you consider that they are spread out over 4 parks, 2 water parks, DTD, or activities at the resorts, they really don't significantly add to the crowds. I had heard horror stories but my worries were unfounded. I would go again at that time but just avoid the Pop Warner designated resorts.

ThanxForNoticin
06-04-2007, 12:55 PM
The only precaution you might seriously consider is not staying at the All-Star or Pop that week. Other than that, you do not need to change much of anything - and certainly don't postpone your trip because of it. Early December can be a great time to enjoy Disney, especially with the decorations. Have a great time.

cknorr28
06-06-2007, 09:17 AM
When are the Pop Warner groups there?

TammiMcMan
06-06-2007, 09:49 AM
When are the Pop Warner groups there?I have not seen the 2007 dates officially posted yet, but based on past history, it will be the first week of December.