PDA

View Full Version : Pirate Adventures on the Seven Seas Lagoon, Day 1

garymacd
06-03-2007, 03:03 PM
We just got back from our Pirates of the Caribbean Adventures on the Seven Seas Lagoon. A Disney Special Event to celebrate the launch of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest. A good time was had by my Beloved Wife and I and all the other fans of not just Disney, but also of Johnny Depp and of the movie franchise and especially of those rabid fans of Pirates of the Caribbean rides and all things Pirate-y. There were several people walking around the resorts and parks dressed and speaking like pirates. I have never seen so many people with eye patches on in one place!

We felt we could not afford the extra money to opt for the Tier One party which began on May 22 with a special dinner at the Grand Floridian followed by a dessert cruise on the Seven Seas Lagoon and then breakfast with stars and crew the next day. With Tier Two, we were allowed to check in on May 23 and have dinner with some of the cast and crew at the Contemporary Resort. During the day there were seminars with these people and viewing of the items up for the live and silent auction. We didn’t bid on anything, because we really don’t have room for any of the large works of art that were available. This works out well, because we really aren't collectors.

On May 23rd (our 26th anniversary, by the way), we checked in at Wilderness Lodge (which we love) at 8 am and were surprised to find our room ready for us – and upgraded to the sixth floor in the south wing facing the pool. What a great room! After getting our bags sent up, we changed and headed by boat to Contemporary Resort where most of the convention events took place (we really got to know the Captains and crews of the shuttle boats really well). We received our welcome packages and pre-selected merchandise and had a chance to get books and artwork signed by various artists and writers. We decided to go to Magic Kingdom instead. We stayed there until it was time to get ready for dinner. Not knowing what exactly to wear, we opted for some fairly nice clothes, nothing too ostentatious, but not ratty jeans or shorts. We were surprised to see many of the people there were dressed up as pirates! Children, teens, adults, seniors, babes in arms, it didn’t matter! Guess we should have seen that coming.

Before and during dinner, we were entertained by a pirate band playing an interesting assortment of music. Before dinner was served some scurvy-looking pirate types took to the stage and entertained us for a few minutes until dinner was served by a group of surly sea-dogs and sea-wenches.

After dinner, the pirates took to the stage again and gave a dinner show similar in many respects to Hoop-De-Doo Review – corny jokes and all. We really had a good time. Then there were after-dinner presents for all and photo opportunities in front of the auction art work and different set pieces. We stood around talking with some of our dinner mates until it was time to go to bed. We had had a long day and were exhausted.

Day Two for us promised to be a very long one indeed with seminars all day, pirate games in the afternoon and dinner in the evening followed by the auctions and then onto buses for the trip to Pleasure Island for a midnight screening of the movie.

Bethis26fan
06-03-2007, 06:02 PM
sounds like a good start.

pdrlkr
06-03-2007, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

disneydrmr
06-04-2007, 10:04 AM
Sounds like a fun time! :pirate:

crazypoohbear
06-04-2007, 07:54 PM
sounds awesome!

pogo
06-07-2007, 07:39 AM
Wow.......... what an exciting day for you and your DW. Happy Anniversary ! :cloud9:

Going to read Day Two. :D

January-2007
06-07-2007, 02:30 PM
Neat! Thanks for reporting.

faline
06-08-2007, 11:22 AM
What fun! And what an interesting way to spend your anniversary! Congrats!

sleepingbooty
06-08-2007, 11:48 AM
Wow, I guess I hadn't been paying attention- I didn't know all these events had been going on. Sounds like a lot of fun and something different!

Lizzie
06-10-2007, 12:07 AM
Sounds like a lot of fun.