PDA

View Full Version : Your experiences at our dining picks!?

Inkdrainer
05-31-2007, 09:44 PM
We just booked all of our dining at the 180 day mark for our Nov/Dec trip, and without surprise this trip is all we can talk about anymore! I didn't have any trouble getting what we wanted, with the exception of a very late late dinner at Le Cellier (all that was left, but naturally we took it happily!).

Anyway, my family has never been to any of these restaurants except Tony's Town Square Restaurant, San Angel Inn, and 50's Prime Time Cafe. We've also never done a character meal before, so this will quite an adventure for us and we want to hear your opinions or experiences on the places we've picked. So many of you have done literally everything! :thumbsup:
All are dinner reservations.

Le Cellier
Liberty Tree Tavern
The Plaza
Hollywood and Vine w/ Fantasmic seating
Garden Grill
The Crystal Palace
50's Prime Time Cafe
Biergarten
San Angel Inn
Tony's Town Square Restaurant

MsMin
05-31-2007, 09:59 PM
We just booked all of our dining at the 180 day mark for our Nov/Dec trip, and without surprise this trip is all we can talk about anymore! I didn't have any trouble getting what we wanted, with the exception of a very late late dinner at Le Cellier (all that was left, but naturally we took it happily!). Anyway, my family has never been to any of these restaurants except Tony's Town Square Restaurant, San Angel Inn, and 50's Prime Time Cafe. We've also never done a character meal before, so this will quite an adventure for us and we want to hear your opinions or experiences on the places we've picked. So many of you have done literally everything! :thumbsup:

Le Cellier- ate here last Dec. and it was good, loved the pretzel sticks but my niece ordered the open range chicken and I thought it took half the night to catch the bird. I think you have to experience it...
Liberty Tree Tavern-- never ate there :jaw:
The Plaza- haven't eaten here either...
Hollywood and Vine w/ Fantasmic seating or here:blush:
Garden Grill :(or here
The Crystal Palace-- or here
50's Prime Time Cafe --or here
Biergarten-- ok I ate here for lunch and didn't like it b/c I don't like sausage and the chicken song tends to get old when you don't like sausage. Maybe they have changed the menu since I've been there.
San Angel Inn- Not on the top of my list but I would return-- I've eaten there about 3 or 4 x's and the last time my food was dried out like it was sitting under a heat lamp or something. Wasn't worth the price, I had better at the Cantina outside. Prior experiences were good.
Tony's Town Square Restaurant- went here last Dec. and I didn't like my appetizer or entree and desert took 20 mins. My son loved his, he ordered the Spinach Manicotti and loved it. I love the location and the desert thing was a problem w/ the kitchen which I'm sure is atypical.
If you are wondering where we eat it's more like Coral Reef, Spoodles, Alfredo's, LeCellier, Japan, CRT, Chef Mickey and Concourse Steakhouse. Sorry I can't be of more help..... We have an older crowd and tend to avoid buffets. Your picks sound great, I'm sure you'll enjoy them. Have a great trip....

tinksmom02
05-31-2007, 10:01 PM
Con only comment on LeCellier (and only for lunch), but it was fantastic! We enjoyed every part of our meal! Make sure you try the cheddar cheese soup!

Pop Centurion
05-31-2007, 10:17 PM
Liberty Tree Tavern - Excellent comfort food and friendly service.
Crystal Palace - Excellent food also. Buffet style so there wasn't much intereaction with a waiter/waitress except for drinks.
Garden Grill - We only eat Chicken, Turkey, & Fish so the food didn't really appeal to us. The service was great though and they even brought out Chicken tenders and Mac & Cheese from the kids menu because we didn't eat much of what was offered.

Vinny
05-31-2007, 10:27 PM
I have only been to two of your selections (Garden Grill and Le Cellier) and can tell you that they are both very good. Both have good food, service and atmosphere. There are even a few characters at Garden Grill. When I was there a year ago they had Mickey, Pluto, Chip, Dale and a few others.

psychotekkie
05-31-2007, 10:35 PM
Loved Biergarten. Lots of fun and good food.

Loved Crystal Palace. Awesome food and lots of characters.

Haven't tried the rest so I guess YOU'LL have to tell ME! :)

GrmGrninGost
05-31-2007, 10:48 PM
I think you choose well. LeCellier is great, one of my very favorites!:mickey:Liberty Tree Tavern has very good food, and the characters are great. We try to go there once per vacation. We have only been to The Plaza for lunch. The Cheesesteak is great! The Garden Grill? It used to be my favorite until they changed the catfish recipe and the potatoes.:( The Crystal Palace has good food and Pooh. Hard to beat. And the 50's Prime Time? We've been twice, and I can't wait to go back! Good home cooked style food and the waitresses make you eat your veggies and use good table manners! Imagine that!:thumbsup:

SBETigg
06-01-2007, 06:37 AM
Hollywood & Vine, not a favorite here but if you like buffets, it should be good for you and having the Fantasmic package is great.

San Angel Inn, my kids' favorite WDW eatery. We're here once a trip. The seating is close together but the atmosphere is awesome and the food is good with the exception of the chips and salsa(not good). We've always had good service but I've heard from people who haven't.

DizneyRox
06-01-2007, 07:35 AM
Le Cellier - Great but rushed
Liberty Tree Tavern - Fantastic!
The Plaza - ???
Hollywood and Vine - Pass on this one
Garden Grill - A nice change
The Crystal Palace - Never been, they have Pooh characters.
50's Prime Time Cafe - A great place, but not the same as it used to be.
Biergarten - Must see!
San Angel Inn - Never been inclined to try it.
Tony's Town Square Restaurant - Never been, not a fan of MK, so it's often overlooked.

mrsgaribaldi
06-01-2007, 08:01 AM
I love Le Cellier, we've eaten there twice and always had a great time. We were not rushed, our servers were excellent. I love the bread sticks and the steaks.:thumbsup:

Crystal Palace we did a character breakfast in 2000. The food was good and we had kids with us so there was alot of interaction.:blush:

Biergarten we also ate in 2000. Food was good, kids loved the dancing. We never did alot of sit down dinners on our own so that's why we never went back to these places, not that they were bad.

Hollywood & Vine was my favorite buffet. They had a turkey pot roast that was delicious:cloud9:

Never tried the others, sorry. I really like the look at San Angel Inn though. I would like to try it sometime:mickey:

Tigerlilly
06-01-2007, 08:29 AM
We ate at Le Cellier and Liberty Tree a month ago.
Le Cellier was good but I did not think it lived up to the hype. Our waitress offered us complimentary smoothie or milkshakes as we came into the heat so that was a HUGE plus. The breadsticks as everyone mention are great. I had a tomato appetizer that was awesome. The only thing I did not like was I had the S'mores desert and it was not very good. It was exceptionally hard. Almost impossible to eat. Dense I guess is the word. The marshmellows were not toasted, just rolled in jimmies. I did not like it at all. My 2 year old daughter ate the marshmellows with glee:)

Liberty Tree was great. I had no expectations going in and it was the best meal of our trip. Service was great, the atmosphere was wonderful. I ordered the fried cheese appetizer for my son and it was MORE than enough for us to share (DDP) and was really good. I cannot say enough good things about LIberty Tree. It will be a repeat for us next time we go.

The other place on your list I have eaten at is San Angel. San Angel is more of an experience. Be warned it is DARK in there but the view is spectacular. Where else can you dine in moonlight with the glow of a volcano near by?
The food was good but nothing hugely special. They have added A LOT of seating since the redo of the ride. It still seems cramped.

Have a great time!!

AwPhooey
06-01-2007, 08:41 AM
Le Cellier I've eaten here twice and both times have been excellent. Great food and attentive service!

Liberty Tree Tavern I've eaten here for the character dinner and enjoyed it very much. I love Thanksgiving dinner, so I loved the food. It was also very cool to see characters dressed in colonial era garb.

The Plaza I've never eaten here. In fact, I'm not sure if I've ever read a review about this restaurant.

Hollywood and Vine w/ Fantasmic seating I ate at H&V several years ago for breakfast and it was pretty decent.

Garden Grill I believe my family ate here on our first trip and I was only 7, so I don't remember much about the food, decor, etc.

The Crystal Palace I ate breakfast here on my most recent trip and really enjoyed it. Standard buffet breakfast, but the restaurant is very nice inside and it was great to see Pooh and friends.

50's Prime Time Cafe I've eaten here once and enjoyed the food quite a bit. The service was pretty good. If you don't want the wait staff to be in character (e.g. giving you a hard time about eating all of your veggies) I believe you can tell the host/hostess when you check in.

Biergarten I've never eaten here, but I want to try it out sometime.

San Angel Inn I ate here on my most recent trip and really enjoyed the food and the ambiance/environment. The waitress was very nice (we learned a lot about the process CMs from other countries go through in order to work at Epcot), but it took a while for our food to be cooked and/or brought to our table.

Tony's Town Square Restaurant My family ate here several years ago and we enjoyed it, mostly because the CM was extremely friendly (she was from a town near where we lived). I don't remember much about the food.

magickingdom67
06-01-2007, 08:56 AM
Lets see...

Le Cellier- absolutely fantastic, try the cheese soup:number1:
Liberty Tree Tavern-Went here years ago and was pretty good
The Plaza-never been
Hollywood and Vine w/ Fantasmic seating-Pretty good though nothing stands out
Garden Grill- never been
The Crystal Palace-Family favorite, plus Pooh and Company
50's Prime Time Cafe-Food is very good and lots of fun if you have kids.
Biergarten-Didn't like the group seating and found it too loud.
San Angel Inn-Atmosphere is great but food is so so
Tony's Town Square Restaurant-Went here for breakfast years ago, which was good

Mickey'sGirl
06-01-2007, 09:02 AM
Le Cellier Had lunch there in 2006. The food was good, but we wont kill ourselves to go back.
Liberty Tree Tavern We will be eating there for the first time in October.... I'll let you know.
The Plaza Sandwiches and Ice Cream -- It is a small restaurant, and a nice place for a "normal" lunch.
Hollywood and Vine w/ Fantasmic seating Did this for the first time in April. We all thought the food was fantastic, and the pre-arranged seating was a great bonus for Fantasmic! :thumbsup:
Garden Grill This is likely our favourite Character meal -- The food is fabulous, and the character interaction is great.
The Crystal Palace We've been for both breakfast and lunch. Service is hit and miss, but the food is decent!
50's Prime Time Cafe Fun atmosphere, but we aren't crazy about the food. The milkshakes are terrific.
Biergarten Tried it for the first time on New Years Day this year. WE really enjoyed the show and the food :thumbsup:
San Angel Inn We haven't been in years, but the setting is one of the loveliest at WDW for sure! I recall that we enjoyed the tortilla soup -- We are going for lunch in October so I'll have to refresh my memory!;)
Tony's Town Square Restaurant Tony's is all right. My kids enjoy the food -- but we absolutely love the restaurant. The animation cells are wonderful to look at.

I hope this helps! :mickey:

DawsonAR
06-01-2007, 09:29 AM
Looks like you have several great places to eat. I have eaten at some and below are my thoughts.

Le Cellier I have eaten here twice. One time was EXCELLENT and the other was very good.

Liberty Tree We have eaten here several times. Each time the food has been good. We love the atmosphere.

The Plaza I ate here one time. I had never given the place much thought and I was surprised when I really enjoyed the food. Most people over look this one.

Hollywood and Vine We have been here twice and each time we enjoyed the food. The atmosphere is somewhat loud but still enjoyable.

Garden Grill We eat here every tirp. We love this one. The food is good and the atmosphere is great. This one is relaxing even though it is a character meal.

Crystal Palace We have eaten here many times. We are skipping it this year. Not because it isn't good, because it is. It is just not a place you can relax and have a nice meal. It is loud and very high energy. It is enjoyable and I'm sure we will do it again.

50's Prime Time We have eaten here four times. The food it good, but not the best at Disney. I will eat here again but its just not at the top of my list.

San Angel Inn We have eaten here four or five times. We like it a lot. The food is sometimes excellent and other times good. I love the atmosphere. Very good place to relax.

Tony's Town Square I have been here one time. My food was just OK but my husband really like his. We are giving this another try on the next trip. The kids really liked it.

Have a great trip. I'm sure you will enjoy!

FriendsofMickey
06-01-2007, 09:54 AM
Le Cellier - Ate here last September. I agree that it did not necessarily live up to the hype, but it was still very good. I had the cheddar soup that is usually raved about, but I found it very, very salty. I had the Creme de brule dessert - IT WAS FANTASTIC! Not a lot of it, but I plan on ordering it again this year.

Liberty Tree Tavern - Character interaction was great. Food was good. We will be returning this trip.

Garden Grill - character interaction is IMO one of the best. We have eaten here twice once in Nov '05 and Sept '06. The food was ahem.. both times, the desserts in '05 were all chocolate and beat '06 (again IMO). Definately worth one visit for character interaction, but we will not be visiting this coming trip.

The Crystal Palace - rates overall one of our favorite. Buffet is good and character interaction is good.

50's Prime Time Cafe - visited in '05 - for us, the food was the bad! I cannot remember what I ordered, but can remember the green beans were so salty, I could not eat them. NONE of us finished our food. Also, our waitress; though good with the table beside us, did not really do anything more than tell us it was no wonder our children didn't eat dinner, since we did not finish ours either. All in all, we will not visit again. (Though I do realize that if we ordered the same dish today, it might be great... everyone has bad days).

We haven't eaten at your other choices.

BTW: It looks like we will be down there at the same time. We will be there end of Nov - Dec for 10 days also.

Shugoondola
06-01-2007, 10:21 AM
LeCellier - One of my favorites. Food has always been excellent. I will admit that service can be slow at times, but that's ok; it's worth it.

Liberty Tree Tavern - Another favorite of mine for lunch and dinner.

The Plaza - Never been.

H & V - No complaints. Food and service have always been very good. There are other buffets at WDW that I like better, though. Can be loud. A good place to eat in MGM.

Garden Grill - Never been.

Crystal Palace - Good, but I like LTT better and other buffets around the World.

50's Prime Time - OK, but I'm not a real big fan. Ate there once and don't really need to go back. It does have a nice theme.

Biergarten - Never been.

San Angel Inn - Nice atmosphere, but you are packed in like sardines. Not my favorite food. Other places in World Showcase that I like better.

Tony's - Never been.

Bon appetit!

:mickey:

mook3y
06-01-2007, 10:33 AM
Le Cellier
Love it, near the top of our list. My favorite is the filet with mushroom risotto. The pretzel and bread sticks are yummy too

Liberty Tree Tavern
Food was good and loved all the character interaction here. Some of our favorite pictures of our kids for last years trips were taken here.

The Plaza
no idea

Hollywood and Vine
Only eaten breakfast here. It was good.

Garden Grill
going for first time this year.

The Crystal Palace
Good buffet

50's Prime Time Cafe
Food was really good and it is a lot of fun... so long as you don't mind getting picked on a little. Theming is awesome.

Biergarten
another not until this year... :D

San Angel Inn
We loved the atmosphere and liked the food.

ate there once and will take a major revamping of menu before we will try it again.

auntfrannie
06-01-2007, 12:22 PM
Le Cellier: Really good but we always end up waiting longer even though we have ADRs.

Liberty Tree Tavern: Good Thanksgiving type food. The character interaction was outstanding!

The Plaza: Never been

Hollywood and Vine w/ Fantasmic seating: Didn't do the Fantasmic seating but the buffet was nice; service was very good.

Garden Grill: Never been

The Crystal Palace: We did breakfast; buffet was ok but I can't get too excited about breakfast.

50's Prime Time Cafe: Good "just like Mom used to make" cooking. We've always had great interaction with the CMs.

Biergarten: Great atmosphere. I was very pleased with the buffet selection.

San Angel Inn: Never been...trying for the first time in Aug.

Tony's Town Square Restaurant: Just ok. I wouldn't make a point to go again.

kathiep
06-01-2007, 01:22 PM
We had a great experience at Crystal Palace. Good food & service; lots of character interation.

Biergarten is a must for us on each trip. Lots of selection on the buffet; the atmosphere is terrific and we really enjoy the show.

denygold
06-01-2007, 08:44 PM
Le Cellier- outstanding theming, excellent food, one of our two favorites ! (with Boma).

Liberty Tree- never been. (but want to !)

Plaza- not high on my list, went for lunch- limited choices, dirty floor, very noisy.

Hollywood & Vine- again- not my favorite. Didn't really like theming much, choices at buffet seemed limited compared to Chef Mickey's for example. Cast members at greeting station were unhelpful and grumpy.

Garden Grill- I'm really not a negative person !
But- I thought the food here was ok if we were paying $9 a head- unfortunately we weren't.
On the positive side- the character interaction is really good here- the booths make it very personal. Overlooking the ride scenes is fun too. Be aware that it takes a long time to rotate all the way around- you can miss quite a bit unless you have a long meal.

Crystal Palace- we liked this place ! (okay, my son is old enough (11) to think that Pooh is uncool). Characters again are great, selection of food was fine, beautiful room.

50's Prime Time- you've already been, so you know how good it is !

Biergarten- never been.

San Angel Inn- never have liked the food or service much, but I would eat there again in a heartbeat just for the ambience.

Tony's- I read a lot of negative reviews about Tony's, but we had a pretty good meal there.
I think they get overwhelmed sometimes & it gets pretty slow. It's location at front of park makes it very popular.

Mom2princesses
06-01-2007, 10:46 PM
Liberty Tree Tavern-- One of our favorites we go back every time we visit. It is a great to cool off and re-energize in a very relaxing atmosphere. The characters are great and the food tastes great especially after all the fast food you tend to eat. Like someone else already said it is comfort food.

The Crystal Palace-- We have eaten both breakfast and dinner here. The buffet is good but it is not a relaxing dinner if that is what you are looking for but really can't go wrong the food is good. I just get tired of too may buffets.

Tony's Town Square Restaurant - We ate at Tony's 5 years ago for dinner and two times before that for breakfast when they use to serve breakfast. All 3 of our meals were very very good. Looks like they have really reduced the number of items on the menu the past few years. We are going back again in August.

Inkdrainer
06-01-2007, 11:10 PM
Thanks everyone! :mickey: I loved reading all of your different comments!

I keep hearing so much about that chedder cheese soup.....I just have to try that now at Le Cellier!

Inkdrainer
06-01-2007, 11:13 PM
BTW: It looks like we will be down there at the same time. We will be there end of Nov - Dec for 10 days also.

What dates are you going? We are there November 26th through December 5th at All-Star Movies. :thumbsup:

Cinderelley
06-02-2007, 01:04 AM
Le Cellier - never eaten here
Liberty Tree Tavern - we all love it
The Plaza - never heard of it
Hollywood and Vine w/ Fantasmic seating- it's okay. Prefered Mama Melrose
Garden Grill - never eaten here
The Crystal Palace - have only done the breakfast. it was awesome.
50's Prime Time Cafe - never eaten here
Biergarten - trying this in September
San Angel Inn- never eaten here
Tony's Town Square Restaurant - never eaten here

grego77
06-02-2007, 11:36 AM
I can comment on Garden Grill and 50s Prime Time Cafe.

Garden Grill is a great overall experience. The place revolves and mickey, pluto, chip, and dale come over to say hi! The food is good...not amazing IMHO (it was better when I went in Dec, not this past time), but the dessert is fantastic and the salad and rolls are to die for.

I LOVE 50s Prime Time Cafe. It really depends on your waiter/waitress sometimes, but the meatloaf (yes meatloaf) is outstanding...and my sister loved her chicken, and my girlfriend loved her big salad when she went. The desserts are fun...and the overall ambience and atmosphere are fun! :D

Both of these places are must-do for me. I would highly suggest however, that you try to get a reservation for Coral Reef in Epcot. It is just PHENOMENAL imho. Enjoy! :mickey:

wilshade
06-02-2007, 04:27 PM
Biergarten: Best in the evening. More selection on the buffet; folks are more boisterous; a very good time.

Prime Time Cafe: Hearty food (Pot Roast and Meatloaf for examples) and fun atmosphere. Best if you have 4 or more in your party.

06-02-2007, 10:45 PM
Crystal Palace - It has become a tradition to eat here every visit. This past May 2007 we had a dinner reservation for the first night we arrived & a breakfast reservation on our last day before heading home. It was great being in the park before opening & getting pictures in front of the castle with no one else around.
Biergarten - Love the atmosphere & thought the food was great.

Disneyfun
06-02-2007, 11:54 PM
Here are my thoughts:

Le Cellier - ate there once and absolutely hated it. Service was abominable and the steak was nothing better than I have had at chain restaurants. Seating was way too crowded and felt stuffy - and I'm not the type to get claustrophobic either.

Liberty Tree Tavern - By far our favorite restaturant. We love the ambiance! The service is great! Characters are fun! Food is pretty good.

The Plaza - Haven't eaten here, but seems pretty pricey for the food that is offered.

Hollywood and Vine w/ Fantasmic seating - Haven't eaten here either.

Garden Grill - Our second favorite restaurant. Great ambiance with the overlook onto Living with the Land. Pretty good food and fun characters.

The Crystal Palace - I thought that CP was one of those things you have to do atleast once, although, I probably wouldn't go back. I think I built it up too much in my mind. It was good and I enjoyed the atmosophere, but I think that I was expecting more. Food was good, but as a buffet, you really don't have interaction with the waiter/ess.

50's Prime Time Cafe - Haven't had a desire to eat here. DW is an excellent cook and if I want great meatloaf, I can get that at home. :blush:

Biergarten - Can't stand sausage and saurkraut. :ack:

San Angel Inn - I love this place. Probably the second best atmosphere for a restaurant, well, maybe third with Cinderella's Royal Table and California Grill beating it out. Food was good, but have had better while in Texas (go figure ;) ). I thought the deserts were good.

Tony's Town Square Restaurant - Haven't eaten here, but I can only imagine that I would enjoy it if I were eating on the patio. And if it were hot, like it is for most of the year, I don't think that I would enjoy that either.

Recomendations that aren't on your list:
Cinderella's Royal Table (especially if you have little girls in your party), California Grill (best steaks on property IMHO), Concourse Steak House, Le Chefs de France (mmm Duck de la Orange), and Artist Point.

Others rave about Boma's and Jiko's over at the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

kakn7294
06-02-2007, 11:54 PM
Le Cellier - haven't been yet (August :thumbsup:) but we hear wonderful things and can't wait
Liberty Tree Tavern - LOVE it - been on last 2 trips - Chip, Dale, and Minnie were really hamming it up with my whole family (of 11) in Dec, playing along with the Christmas theme - great place to feel like you are eating Christmas dinner, especially with the Christmas decorations all around the park
The Plaza - haven't been
Hollywood and Vine w/ Fantasmic seating - we weren't real impressed with food here and haven't done the Fantasmic package yet
Garden Grill - haven't been since '03 but liked it then - we did the rehitching ceremony for our 10th anniversary (they no longer do this)
The Crystal Palace - good food and the place to be if you love Pooh and pals
50's Prime Time Cafe - very fun (if you play along) and really good food
Biergarten - trying in August
San Angel Inn - atmosphere is great, food is okay, tables crammed together
Tony's Town Square Restaurant - haven't been in 10+ yrs but going again in August - not impressed last time but willing to give it another shot

Have a great trip and enjoy your choices!

pianobabe
06-03-2007, 11:20 AM
Have a wonderful trip. I have eaten at all but one of your choices.

1. Le Cellier-I loved this place. We ate there for the first time last year and it was wonderful. We already have our ADR's for this year.

2. Liberty Tree Tavern-This is the one place we have gone to every single year we have been at Disney. We enjoy the food and the character interaction. The only downside is the bathrooms are very small and upstairs. Our tradition has become to eat here the night of the halloween party.

3. The Plaza-I really enjoy this place. The food isn't really fancy, but it is good. I like the atmosphere. They have some very good desserts.

4. Hollywood and Vine-I have not eaten here since they changed the set up. When we went, it was still with Goofy and Minnie with an "old hollywood" type theme. We are going this year. I have heard good and bad about it. From what I remember, the food was okay. I am looking forward to going. The way the menu looks, it will be different, but in a good way.

5. The Crystal Palace-Another good choice. Character interaction is wonderful. The food was great. This is my BIL's favorite.

6. 50's Prime Time Cafe-We have always loved this place. The food has been great everytime we have gone (which has been on all but one trip). The interaction with your waiter/waitress varies. We have had some who have played the role to a "T", but others who didn't. It has always been a good time for us.

7. Biergarten-My husband really loves this place. Typically, I don't like a lot of German food. I found a number of things I would eat, all of which were good. I did not leave hungry. The band was very entertaining. It felt strange sitting at a table with strangers, but I got used to it after a while. Our tablemates were really into the band and that made it fun for us.

8. San Angel Inn-We were not impressed with the food. I don't remember exactly what it was about it, it just wasn't to our liking. The atmosphere, on the other hand, was wonderful. We really did like that.

9. Tony's Town Square-Ate there a couple of years ago and enjoyed it. I've heard good and bad about it. Despite the bad, we are going back this year. The food was good, not the best, but we liked it.

10. Garden Grill-This is the one place on your list I have not eaten. My SIL and BIL did. They were not too impressed with it. Since they were there, the menu has changed. The characters were great. This is one place I have always wanted to go, but have never had the chance to go to.

jefmblrd
06-03-2007, 12:12 PM
H & V with Fantasmic Package. I've never eaten there and am not a fan of buffets, but it has gotten so-so reviews from what I've heard and read.

Also keep in mind that the seats for the Fantasmic dinner package are not the best. I was thinking about doing the same thing on my last trip but decided against it.

Prime time can be a lot of fun if you get a great server who is "into it." We didn't our last two times there, so it wasn't much fun. The food is average at best.

San Angel Inn has incredible atmosphere but very average food. We ate there a few years ago and haven't gone back since.

Tony's Town Square is just not good. I ate at an Olive Garden once (not good at all) and Tony's doesn't even match up to that.

I find that most of the TS restaurants in the park are not up to the quality of those outside like California Grill -hands down the best restaurant at WDW-amazing sushi and view of the MK. Narcoosee's at the GF is fantastic and Jiko is great as well.

DizneyRox
06-03-2007, 12:35 PM
Biergarten - Can't stand sausage and saurkraut. :ack:

Blasphemy! :thumbsup:

Biergarten is much more than sausage and sauerkraut. At first I didn't like the food, but I gave it a second chance and it's an at least once, often a two three time restaurant now. The chicken is great, the salads are very tasty albeit somewhat americanized, and you gotta love the apfelstrudel.

LandFan
06-03-2007, 04:24 PM
Le Cellier is a must for us (the mushroom filet is amazing!!)
Liberty Tree Tavern was fantastic! We loved it! The food was good too!

Garden Grill was also pretty good. It was the day we were leaving though so I think that made our perception a little less positive than it could have been.

We will definitely do Le Cellier and Liberty Tree again!

Disneyfun
06-03-2007, 05:13 PM
Blasphemy! :thumbsup:

Biergarten is much more than sausage and sauerkraut. At first I didn't like the food, but I gave it a second chance and it's an at least once, often a two three time restaurant now. The chicken is great, the salads are very tasty albeit somewhat americanized, and you gotta love the apfelstrudel.

:blush: I am sure they have more there than sausage and saurkraut...but that is all I can imagine when I think of going there and I just can't get past it! :blush:

Another fun restaurant for the kiddos is Wispering Canyon Cafe at the Wilderness Lodge. Great family style servings and fun games for the kids. Never forget to ask for the ketchup! ;):D:thumbsup:

kadesha
06-03-2007, 05:25 PM
I just want to comment on Garden Grill. It was my favorite and a must-do from now on for my family! I think this is the best character meal of all! The characters come around several times to your table. Chip forced me up out of my chair so he could sit and color with my daughter, and Dale ran away with our bowl of catfsh! (he brought it back of course!) The kids got a big kick out of it. Often times, we'd see the characters walking around doing funny things to eachother and harassing the waitresses. It was a lot of fun, and the food was AWESOME! Go on the boat ride before you eat there. the kids loved the decorate-your-own-cupcake dessert.

LibertyTreeGal
06-04-2007, 08:40 AM
Le Cellier -- How strange, we made our ADR's at the 180 day mark too and had to have a late ressie.
Liberty Tree Tavern -- lunch is better than dinner, and lunch is FAB
The Crystal Palace -- best character buffet, IMHO
50's Prime Time Cafe -- mucho fun, we are going there too this time, great chicken!
Biergarten -- fun, but food is just okay, we won't be back
San Angel Inn -- fine, I'd rather eat elsewhere at Epcot, but the atmosphere is awesome (like Biergarten)

The good news is that none of your choices sound bad :thumbsup:

Mickey91
06-04-2007, 10:06 AM
Le Cellier - excellent, lots of food, loved the atmosphere

LTT - have had numerous Character Dinners there. Love the food, except the mac n cheese. The characters are great! Make sure you take something for them to sign.

Plaza - We love the cheese steak here!

Hollywood and Vine - Eaten there twice. Had one good one bad expereince. The characters were always great! There was a chocolate truffle that was devine! The Fantasmic! deal is good. You still want to go fairly early as there is one section roped off for all Fantasmic! package people and you will want the best seats possible.

Garden Grill - Used to eat there every trip. Characters are great. We don't care for the menu changes. You may enjoy it as you didn't dine there in the past.

Crystal Palace - Wonderful! Great character interaction, great food!

Hope you enjoy!!!:mickey:

FriendsofMickey
06-04-2007, 10:50 AM
What dates are you going? We are there November 26th through December 5th at All-Star Movies. :thumbsup:

Driving down ariving late on November 24th, first day at the parks 25th and leaving December 4th. We will be staying at POFQ (first time). :mickey:

My girls turn 5 on the 27th, so it is a big trip for us :thumbsup:.

KAT1811
06-04-2007, 10:17 PM
Anyway, my family has never been to any of these restaurants except Tony's Town Square Restaurant, San Angel Inn, and 50's Prime Time Cafe. We've also never done a character meal before, so this will quite an adventure for us and we want to hear your opinions or experiences on the places we've picked. So many of you have done literally everything! :thumbsup:

Le Cellier
Liberty Tree Tavern
The Plaza
Hollywood and Vine w/ Fantasmic seating
Garden Grill
The Crystal Palace
50's Prime Time Cafe
Biergarten
San Angel Inn

Okay here is my opinion. :D

Le Cellier - Love it!!! A nice place to get away. I think I would actually eat here even if it wasn't in WDW. Then again a great steak and an equally fantastic glass of wine and I'm good to go!!!

Liberty Tree Tavern - Hated it!!! I know just about everyone here loves it but we all thought it was hands down the worst meal we've ever had in WDW and my DH eats just about everything. Maybe we hit it on a bad night but we won't be back to try it any time soon (if ever).

The Plaza - Haven't tried this one yet but we are this trip (Sept.) I've heard good things about it on the boards so we'll try it. Plus the ice cream is one of our favorite treats in WDW so if all else fails we can have the ice cream as our dinner!!!

Hollywood & Vine - We're not big buffet fans so we haven't tried this one. If we do a sit down dinner in MGM we prefer Mama Melrose's. Plus as we tend to travel on the "off season" the Fantasmic! dinner package isn't a must do for us.

Garden Grill - Tried it once and that was enough. Didn't hate it but also didn't love it. Catfish isn't on my list of favorites and I'm not big on serving family style. I like to have a menu to pick from in order to get what I'm in the mood for.

Crystal Palace - Okay here is where we break the rules on the no buffet deal. We LOVE the Crystal Palace breakfast buffet. IMHO it is one of the best on property (although I hear that Boma has a mean breakfast buffet). I haven't been there for dinner but I've heard goo things from friends.

50's Prime Time Cafe - I love the theming of this restaurant if you get a waitperson that plays there role well. We had a great dinner experience there once (they made my mother sing "I'm a Little Teapot" for not finishing her greenbeans). I don't care for the food here either but it is a ton of fun for the kids.

Biergarten - Never been there.

San Angel Inn - Probably my favorite restaurant in WDW. I really feel like I'm back in Mexico when we're there. Sitting along the river sipping a :marg: listening to the mariachi (sp?) band what could be better?

Tony's Town Square - Haven't tried that either but did consider it this trip but Plaza won out. Maybe next trip.

You've got some great unput for posters here. I might have to give this a try for our picks. Have a great trip!!!