PDA

View Full Version : New Country in Epcot?

Wrigley
05-31-2007, 02:30 PM
Epcot is my favorite park to visit-because of the World Showcase. I love going through all of the countries. If you could add another country to the World Showcase, what would it be??

lyle21
05-31-2007, 02:40 PM
greece, india, or russia

future_imagineer
05-31-2007, 02:51 PM
I've always thought that Tibet or Nepal would be cool, but those are covered by the EE area in Asia at AK... Maybe Russia, or Australia, or something else in the South Pacific.

Iluvpooh
05-31-2007, 03:17 PM
I have always wanted to see an Eastern European country!- Russia/Romania ect..
I always wondered if they didn't put one in because of the snow issues. Or if during the building of EPCOT the cold war was going pretty strong!

A south Pacific country would be nice too. Heck, even a Hawaiian theme would be cool.

madhatterrules
05-31-2007, 03:25 PM
Australia, Russia, and Switzerland
:hatter:

It would be great if they added some new countries!

Sharon1026
05-31-2007, 03:30 PM
Thailand. I really like thai food! :thumbsup:

Or Antarctica. A big, empty air conditioned place. That would hit the spot in the middle of the day.

:stitch:

DakotaDisney
05-31-2007, 03:47 PM
Before AK was built I would have said one of the Countries in Africa, but now thats covered in AK.

So I would say Australia, Greece or Scottland

Those three, especially Austrlia and Greece would have some really interesting landmarks, culture and food to share.

Davyjones
05-31-2007, 04:17 PM
I would add either India or Australia!

comicguy
05-31-2007, 04:25 PM
I would go with, India, Russia, Australia in no particular order

vamaggie
05-31-2007, 06:29 PM
Or Antarctica. A big, empty air conditioned place. That would hit the spot in the middle of the day.

:stitch:

I love this idea! A big empty cold place with some science stations and stuff. Food could be a challenge unless folks want to some freeze dried stuff or MREs!

Kate In Wonderland
05-31-2007, 06:36 PM
India, Russia.

I would normally say Africa but I can get that at AK! :)

Nicki'sMom
05-31-2007, 06:52 PM
I think India would be great because it is very exotic. Great food too.

MickeyandTink
05-31-2007, 06:58 PM
I have always wanted to see an Eastern European country!- Russia/Romania ect..
I always wondered if they didn't put one in because of the snow issues. Or if during the building of EPCOT the cold war was going pretty strong!

Given that the planning and building of world showcase took place in the late 70's / early 80's, I'd lean towards the cold war theory as to the reason for not building it but that is only my guess. If snow were the reason, that would knock out Norway.

I agree Russia would be really cool, with the wonderful architecture in Moscow and St. Petersburg. Plus, talk about a wonderful educational opportunity to show the development under Peter the Great, the time of the tsars and effects of WWII and communism on the country and the surrounding eastern bloc nations.

India would also be a great choice.

cgriff
05-31-2007, 07:07 PM
Interestingly, Imagineers once proposed a Nature/Animal pavillion for Epcot, which ended up morphing into an entire new park idea; Disney's Animal Kingdom.

Also, a Russia/Soviet Union pavillion was proposed for inclusion in World Showcase, and even though we were in the midst of the Cold War when it was proposed, the idea was nixed not because of animosity but rather by the dreaded "money" factor. The artist depictions of the pavillion were gorgeous, and it was supposed to include a dark-ride with guests riding in brightly-painted sleds through tales from Russian folklore.

Oh well...

I'd like to see an Ancient Egyptian pavillion.

cgriff

Clotho
05-31-2007, 07:32 PM
Would love India. They could sell bindis (little girls loooove them), sari fabrics, spices...would be fab!

Sharon1026
05-31-2007, 08:35 PM
I love this idea! A big empty cold place with some science stations and stuff. Food could be a challenge unless folks want to some freeze dried stuff or MREs!

I bet kids would love to eat that stuff. They could have an exhibit on icebergs or something... and serve slushes/icees...

NewmanFamily6
05-31-2007, 08:46 PM
Scotland, Ireland, New Zealand.....:mickey:

Inkdrainer
05-31-2007, 09:19 PM
Interestingly, Imagineers once proposed a Nature/Animal pavillion for Epcot, which ended up morphing into an entire new park idea; Disney's Animal Kingdom.

Also, a Russia/Soviet Union pavillion was proposed for inclusion in World Showcase, and even though we were in the midst of the Cold War when it was proposed, the idea was nixed not because of animosity but rather by the dreaded "money" factor. The artist depictions of the pavillion were gorgeous, and it was supposed to include a dark-ride with guests riding in brightly-painted sleds through tales from Russian folklore.

Oh well...

I'd like to see an Ancient Egyptian pavillion.

cgriff

I just love that idea for a dark ride!

Anyway, Scotland would be my top choice.

princessimagineer
05-31-2007, 09:29 PM
whoever said egypt - that wud be awsome, with the pyramids and sphinx ! a dark ride dealing with ancient egypt and like gods and stuff would be pretty cool ! food wud be pretty exotic too.

i also like india just because that sounds so interesting and exotic.

the antartica idea, however, is the best just because cmon, florida heat, it shud be situated right in the middle so you get that little refreshment and then after the refuel you can move along to the rest of the world shocase, then go around and do it agian!

glenpreece
05-31-2007, 09:37 PM
Greece for sure.

disneydaisy
05-31-2007, 10:21 PM
Egypt or India.:mickey:

GrmGrninGost
05-31-2007, 10:30 PM
Russia...maybe Egypt.:mickey:

dolphinmickey9170
05-31-2007, 10:34 PM
Egypt, Aussie, Greenland, Antarctica, Bulgaria, something from the South Pacific!!

indytraveler
05-31-2007, 10:44 PM
before reading other posts I thought about Australia and Russia. But India and Greece would be interesting as well.

Kairi_7378
05-31-2007, 10:52 PM
Egypt, Greece, Australia, or Ireland :D

Maybe they could turn that big empty building by Mexico into Antarctica. (Loved all of the ideas posted by others. Can you imagine that with little penguins?)

I think MGM evolved from an idea to have an American movies attraction in the USA pavilion at Epcot.

snifflesmcg
06-01-2007, 02:26 AM
Oooooh....I like either Ireland, Greece, Austrailia, Switzerland or maybe a Caribbean island country. Maybe even something from South America like Brazil or Ecuador. I'm not keen on the India idea.

Trixie1822
06-01-2007, 10:46 AM
Egypt for the fun

Greece for the food :blush: mmmmm

Spaceship Tigger
06-01-2007, 12:14 PM
A lot of people mention Scotland and Ireland when this question is asked, but Scotland and Northern Ireland are already part of the United Kingdom which has its own pavilion.

I would pick India as a first choice followed by Russia.

Stu29573
06-01-2007, 12:20 PM
A lot of people mention Scotland and Ireland when this question is asked, but Scotland and Northern Ireland are already part of the United Kingdom which has its own pavilion.

I would pick India as a first choice followed by Russia.

But they're also their own countries with their own histories...

Anyway, I think they'd stand alone as countries.
Any new country would nee dto have a dark ride kind of like the one suggested for Russia.

IloveJack
06-01-2007, 12:29 PM
I like the Egypt idea, but then again, I've always liked that country.

I also wouldn't mind "visiting" Brazil every now and then.

Belle619
06-06-2007, 01:23 PM
I'd say Greece, but then again I'm biased because I'm Greek!!!

But honestly, the art and architecture would be stunning and there could be a dark ride based upon the mythical characters...including Disney's Hercules!

atruman
06-06-2007, 01:35 PM
I'd like to see Thailand, Egypt, Brazil or Greece. Any of those have some interesting culture, food, architecture and legends that could make for a great pavilion.

Red Randal
06-06-2007, 02:08 PM
Australia should be covered in Animal Kingdom as most of Africa and Asia are.

Egypt I'm split on. First off, the political climate of the day is a big hinderince to adding traditional Islamic states and/or Israel. Egypt would, however, make for an awesome atmposphere and great rides...though we do cover some of the same ground with Morocco.

Ireland would be nice, but we have Raglan Road now which might be enough.

The only country that I could think of that doesn't fit anywhere else in the World would be Russia (left out of Epcot's designs in 1980 for obvious reasons.)

Honestly though, there is literally NO chance of this ever happening. There's no room for it and how do you justify spending money on what has to be the least marketable section of any Disney park. (No offense to Russia or Russians but how do make the commercial "come to Epcot, now it's got a section that looks like Russia!")

johnO
06-06-2007, 02:14 PM
Ireland, Scotland are a part of the UK pavillion already. Sure they could "Stand alone" but not for the purposes of the WS. There's limited space and you're gonna have to be alittle more broad with the choices.

Ireland - Too much in common with UK
Scotland - Ditto
Egypt - Too much in common with Moracco
India - Unique enough to be chosen
Russia - Unique enough to be chosen
Greece - Ditto
Australia - Unique

I'd probably say Greece. I think DW would say Armenia and I'd have to agree with her. :cool:

BigBaloo
06-06-2007, 02:24 PM
I think Brazil would be awesome. The dark ride could incorporate the Amazon river & jungle, Carnivale in Rio & of course a soccer match.....

EvilQueen2006
06-06-2007, 02:35 PM
i like a lot of the ideas here. . . Russia, India, Greece, Egypt. I think my top choices would be either a South American country like Brazil or Peru, or an Carribean island country like Cuba or Jamaica.

mickey-mouse35
06-06-2007, 07:19 PM
Russia for the architecture and shopping
Greece for the food and music
Australia -- just because it's awesome
Brazil for the ride down the Amazon and food and costumes

would also like to see Switzerland and Austria, but would do above ones first :D

Mikey Piano 23
06-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Australia hands down! I have always wanted to go there but plane tix are like 2500 round trip per person from the Northeast. This would give us a chance to enjoy the food, culture and music.

This is Dox
06-06-2007, 10:09 PM
Actually the original plans called for a Russian and Swiss land. But each Country represented at Epcot is sponsored ($$$$$) by it's namesake and neither Russia or Switzerland would pony up the cash.
It's a terrible shame, to! The Russian exhibit was going to be an elaborate collection of Kremlin-esque buildings featuring an E-ticket attraction and the Swiss was to have a replica of the Matterhorn Bobsleds! DOH!
Anyhoo, I would rather see them install a moving sidewalk (like in the airports) between the existing countries before they make it any bigger. At least my feet and shins would!:mickey:

jsw123
06-06-2007, 10:23 PM
I love the ideas! A fun thought to add to the greatness of World Showcase!

India and Thailand--FOOD!
Greece and Russia--ARCHITECTURE!
Egypt--JUST COOL!

My DH had an interesting thought---he loves this Vietnamese restaurant here. What an educational/ historical/ international experience that would be. Probably way too contraversial, too-- but it's different--- Vietnam?

CandleontheWater
06-06-2007, 10:32 PM
You know, I don't care what the imagineers would come up with, but I'd love to see something new and fresh at the WS. When was the last new country? Norway in '88!- come on, there is plenty of space, can we have a new country, pretty please! :mickey:

angedeaile
06-07-2007, 02:11 PM
WOW! What an awesome question...and a hard one..shesh.

I like the idea of India or Thailand. I think those two countries are often overlooked. Plus, I love their food.

If it was to be based on architecture, I would go with India again and the idea of Russia. There are so many structures in those countries that Disney could use!

Pocahontas
06-10-2007, 12:34 AM
Top three choices: India, Russia, or Austrailia. Any of these would be great.

cgriff
06-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Egypt I'm split on. First off, the political climate of the day is a big hinderince to adding traditional Islamic states and/or Israel. Egypt would, however, make for an awesome atmposphere and great rides...though we do cover some of the same ground with Morocco.

My suggestion earlier in the thread was actually Ancient Egypt,not modern Egypt. Of course, there's no other pavillion in World Showcase that focuses on just a certain narrow set of historical dates for a country like that, so that's probably unfair and insensitive of me. :nono: Though... now that I think about it... at the American Adventure pavillion, you pretty much *only* get the Colonial America treatment there, except for during the last few minutes of the America the Beautiful presentation...

Yeah, when Epcot added Morocco I was a bit disappointed that they hadn't gone with Egypt, and I pretty much knew that would spell the end of any possibility of an Ancient Egyptian pavillion going in at WS.

The only country that I could think of that doesn't fit anywhere else in the World would be Russia (left out of Epcot's designs in 1980 for obvious reasons.)

Or is it obvious? According to what I have read, it wasn't the geo-political situation or Cold War that nixed construction of the planned "USSR" pavillion. No, the problem was that the only Russian businesses that stepped forward to help fund the pavillion all had ties to the Russian mob, and Disney was unwilling to engage them in a business relationship because of that.

Too bad. This would have been one spiffy looking WS location. Of course, they would have had to change the name of it by now, and if there was a film involved, it would have had to be reshot and edited a few times already! How would they have addressed the Stalinist era I wonder???? :confused:

You're probably right, Red Randal. There may simply be no new country building going on in the WS from here-on-out. :(

cgriff

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
06-10-2007, 12:42 PM
How about one with the country of Quebec? :rotfl::oops:

But seriously, an Austrailian one would be cool.

Chris :hatter:

emmingo
06-10-2007, 12:49 PM
I say Thailand, but only because I know the food would be absolutely fantastic! :eat:

Something from South America might be cool...Peru or Brazil with a ride that takes a trip down the Amazon, but I could see that also as being an extension/third "world" in AK.

The Bookseller
06-10-2007, 03:02 PM
How about one with the country of Quebec? :rotfl::oops:

It's not why "La Nouba" is at WDW in the first place?

As far as the "Republique du Québec" goes, just give us some time, we are working on it! :D

But seriously, an Austrailian one would be cool.

Chris :hatter:

Australia is cool. I believe that Africa and Asia are well covered in the AK. Any pavilion of a Middle-Eastern country is a bad idea right now. Maybe Russia.

grego77
06-10-2007, 03:34 PM
Three words: Republic of Korea (aka South Korea). Korea is always overlooked when mentioning the eastern Asian countries...and yes I am biased (I've been there 3 times), but it really is an amazing country and the culture is very interesting. The food is amazing too! :mickey:

I am also a BIG Israel fan (the most beautiful country I've been to), and would love to see a mock Kotel (Western Wall), but I know realistically that would NEVER happen, for a few main reasons...but let's not get into that ;)

iceicebritney
06-10-2007, 04:32 PM
i thought i heard something a ways back that Russia was a planned pavilian at WDW.. but something happened and the plans fell through? i could be wrong though.

i agree with the consensus above - a thailand pavillion would be an awesome addition! the food and architechture both get big:thumbsup::thumbsup:

another cool idea would be austrialia as well... so many people will never make it there just for the simple fact that its so far away from the US and such a long flight... it'd be really cool to have a peice of that at epcot to experience:mickey:

Disney Maniac
06-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Antartica or the Caribbean!!!!

The Bookseller
06-10-2007, 10:43 PM
You will never see the Caribbean at Epcot, too small. In Aventureland, it's a whole new business... ;)

Jen66
06-11-2007, 08:29 AM
My first choice would be somewhere in SA, maybe Peru or Brazil, second would be Greece.

Vigan
06-11-2007, 08:41 AM
Definitely Australia or Greece - both have really interesting landmarks and history that would make a colourful display.

Throw in either the Aussie wine or Retsina and you would have a great restaurant for either!

:shark::rings::goodbad:

DNS
06-11-2007, 12:31 PM
Absolutely Australia!!!

battle beast
06-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Not to be rude of mean or anything, but isn't the USA covered in the Hall of Presidents?? Kinda sorta? why not change the USA pavillion to Australia or Orsomething, and add Greece or India, or Russia?

Belle_0717
06-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Australia gets my vote.

mtown71
06-11-2007, 04:31 PM
I would love to see Ireland or Greece. I love the Irish music.

DisneyFreak23
06-11-2007, 04:52 PM
I would go with something in the South Pacific.
Maybe Hawaii :lei:???

MrPeetrie
06-11-2007, 08:10 PM
Albania! (Just kidding, although I am Albanian.)

Greece, Russia, or Australia would all make nice additions. But where would you put it? In the space that was previously occupied for the Millennium Celebration?

Can't wait to go back. Four months, five days and counting..............
:D

DREAMADREAM93
06-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Australia, Thailand, or Ireland!!

I think Ireland would be cool. all the green and the leprechauns ... and it would make it even easier for people i know to :beer: and :marg: their way around WS!

JOrdan :]

cubbie
06-11-2007, 08:58 PM
Hey, they could always make a Brazil Pavillion with a dark boat ride through the Amazon featuring the Three Caballeros, since one of them is from Brazil. Just kidding of course.

My vote would be for Australia or Greece, but I would fear that the Australia ride would be another Nemo thing, and I think we have enough Nemo rides. I guess I would pick Greece as my top choice.

As far as space is concerned, they do have a large space between China and Germany, although that could be serving some sort of backstage purpose. The Millenium Village and the old Odyssey Restaurant are large spaces that could be possibilities, but I certainly am not holding my breath for a new pavillion to be announced any time soon. We can still dream.

DNS
06-12-2007, 12:27 PM
Not to be rude of mean or anything, but isn't the USA covered in the Hall of Presidents?? Kinda sorta? why not change the USA pavillion to Australia or Orsomething, and add Greece or India, or Russia?
Hall of Presidents is about U.S. presidents mostly. The American Adventure is about America and our history, what we've gone through as a nation and key times in our history.

I'd like to see Australia added, maybe to the empty space beside China. :thumbsup:

WVParkfan
06-12-2007, 03:12 PM
Some have mentioned a South Pacific theme... what about Fiji?