PDA

View Full Version : Our Unexpected Trip 5/19 - 5/25 Day 1

Mom to a Princess and a Prince
05-31-2007, 02:20 PM
Cast: Me - Amy, Disney fanatic and planner, 38
DH - Gene, willing participant, 40
DD - Sam, totally hooked, 6
DS - Chris, huge Pirate fan, 4
Trip background: We went last year at this time and loved it. It was by far our favorite time of the year to go. But DH said we had to take a year off from our Disney trips. I sadly agreed. Fast forward to February of this year when DH and I began talking about vacation plans. We would be celebrating our 10th anniversay in May and we were torn between a beach destination vacation (without the kids), a Jersey shore vacation (with the kids), a North Carolina shore vacation (with the kids), or ... Disney (with the kids). I brought the kids into the discussion after we ruled out a vacation without them and they didn't hesitate - they wanted Disney World!! I have smart kids!!:thumbsup: And imagine my surprise when DH agreed to a Disney vacation!! OK, so let the planning begin! I quickly contacted my cousin who is a CM and she made some room reservations for us and ordered our park hoppers. Southwest Airlines cooperated with us and we got 4 round trip tickets for $470!!

Now on to the show:
Our transportation service picked us up at 9:30 on Saturday morning for a 12:10 flight. The flight was uneventful, in other words, perfect! We found our way to ME and checked in. We only waited for about 15 minutes and we were on our way to All Star Sports. The kids enjoyed the movie on the bus - they were so excited and that just made them chomp at the bit even more! We checked in at the hotel with little wait and our room was ready. I had requested the Hoops building at the suggestion of some Intercotters and that is exactly what we were given. Great suggestion - thanks!! The room was clean and quiet and the location was not bad. And we had our first of 2 towel animals - a Mickey head! We got our carryon luggage situated and headed off to MGM. At MGM, we took care of the stroller rental for the week and by 5:00 we were in our seats for our Voyage with the Little Mermaid. I just love that show. When that was over, we walked right out into the High School Musical Pep Rally. Sam was in heaven! She loves the movie and the cd. From there, we went to find something to eat. We tried Sci-Fi, but they wouldn't have any cars available until after 9:00, so we ended up at Pizza Planet. We ate at a table outside so we could avoid the games inside. I just wasn't up for them after a travel day!! The pizza was yummy but boy are those "starving" birds annoying when they practically dive bomb the tables! After dinner we walked right into Muppets and then we went and played in the HISTK playground. We walked around a bit then rode the Great Movie Ride. The kids were both a little scared of the shoot out, but overall, we all like the ride. Then we headed back to the hotel so we could unpack because we were sure that by now (8:30 pm) our luggage would be there since we landed at 2:30 pm. Wrong! Uh oh! I called luggage services and I was told we would have our luggage in an hour. Wrong again. I called again at 10:15 and they said it was out on the truck being delivered. I explained that I REALLY needed my luggage because my son who has asthma needed a breathing treatment and the machine was in the suitcase. I know I shouldn't have put the machine in there, but I never thought the luggage would be THIS late!! Right after that my sister's fiance called from home (or so we thought) to see how we were making out and while DH was explaining the luggage dilemma to him, there was a knock at the door. Of course we thought it was our luggage but when I opened the door, to my surprise, my sister and her fiance were standing there! My sister absolutely loves travelling and vacations and she hates to miss a vacation, so at the last minute, they decided to book a short trip and surprise us! Their room was in the Hoops section too! They had arrived the day before and were staying until Monday. It was a great surprise for us, especially since they had a cooler of :beer: with them!! Meanwhile, Chris had fallen asleep without his breathing treatment (he ended up coughing all night long) and Sam was drifting off too. Poor kids had to sleep in their clothes that they had been in all day, but they didn't seem to mind! After our guests left and we still had no luggage, DH headed down to the front desk. I am not exactly sure what took place down there, but the luggage finally arrived just after midnight and we were given a $30 per person meal credit which we used later at Hollywood & Vine. Anyway, I quickly unpacked and we hit the pillows hard for some much needed sleep!!

Tomorrow - an MK day!!

pogo
05-31-2007, 02:40 PM
Ah yes....... a sister with a cooler of :beer: is a welcome sight indeed.:thumbsup: Ask her to stop over and see us the next time we're at WDW. :yes:

Your day one sounded great. I can't wait to read more about your trip. :D

disneydrmr
05-31-2007, 03:19 PM
What a great first day.. minus the luggage ordeal. And a surprise visit from your sister! How wonderful! Looking forward to reading more! :mickey:

Christine
05-31-2007, 03:59 PM
That stinks about your luggage! But at least you received some compensation.

What a cool surprise that your sister was there! Neat!

csdavis
05-31-2007, 04:10 PM
We are planning to go the same week in 2008. How was the weather and how were the crowds? Our sob story is that we went in January 07 and all got a stomach virus and had the dining plan that went to waste!

darko aggie
05-31-2007, 05:01 PM
$470!!! for R/T for 4!!!:thumbsup: Some people have the best luck.

pdrlkr
05-31-2007, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

mrsgaribaldi
06-01-2007, 04:49 AM
Sorry it took so long to get the luggage. I'm glad it worked out ok. What a nice surprise to have your sister there. Thanks for sharing:thumbsup:

Mom to a Princess and a Prince
06-01-2007, 07:58 AM
Thanks for reading and all the nice responses.

CSDavis - First, Welcome to Intercot!!:welcome: And second, we thought the weather was awesome. It was sunny and in the 80s all week. And it only rained once during the day and that shower lasted maybe 15 minutes. The crowds were really only bad on the weekends, the worst being the Friday before Memorial Day. I think the holiday crowds had rolled in early. My only complaint about going that time of year is the LOVE BUGS! They drove us crazy!

gauvin4
06-01-2007, 08:33 AM
Great start to your trip!! My Husband also wanted to do a different vacation destination this year, but the kids wanted to go to Disney again. I love it when a plan comes together. I look forward to reading more about your trip

ChipnDaleGal
06-01-2007, 11:18 AM
I'm sorry that your luggage was so late in arriving. That must have been scary, but I am glad that nothing bad happened. How nice that your sister managed to pull off such a great surprise. That would have floored me to open the door and see someone I knew there. Thanks for sharing. :mickey:

faline
06-06-2007, 11:45 AM
What a busy day! Too bad it was marred by the luggage incident!

What a great surprise - your touring group just got larger!

January-2007
06-07-2007, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the report, it sounds like quite a first day! I feel your pain not having your luggage right away. In January we took the train but our luggage didn't make it to Florida with us so we had to buy pjs from the resort gift shop and do a small load of laundry before our bags got in the following afternoon. Talk about starting off on the wrong foot! So glad your sister showed up, how exciting! Can't wait to read more.

Bethis26fan
06-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Great start to your trip, off to read more.

princessgirls
06-21-2007, 05:55 PM
Minus the luggage issue, what a great day!!

Thanks for sharing!

Julie:mickey:

T-Belle
06-21-2007, 08:02 PM
Your sister at the door-what a wonderful surprise! Sounds like a great first day, well, except for the luggage. Off to read more.

DizNee143
06-22-2007, 12:06 PM
besides the luggage situation it sounds like you guys had a good travel/first day in the dparks day!!! cant wait to read about the rest of the trip!! :mickey: