PDA

View Full Version : She's driving me nuts!

Dakota Rose
05-31-2007, 10:17 AM
My mother-in-law is going to make me lose my mind! She normally never calls to talk to me. But they arrived to WDW earlier this week and she has since called me twice to gloat. When we went to WDW the last time, she hardly asked a thing about our trip, was not excited for us or anything. She's even sending her Mission Space photo to me! Why is she persecuting me? Isn't it enough that my least favorite people in the world are visiting my most favorite place in the world? She doesn't even like Disney. This morning when she called she got me so upset with her gloating that I just lost it and cried. She literally gloated about her morning and before I could say two words she said "Gotta go, bye." Argh! Anyone at WDW right now who feels like spilling their pop on someone?

PirateLover
05-31-2007, 10:27 AM
I have two things to say.
1) are you 100% sure she's gloating? Maybe she actually is excited about it for once and wants to share it

2) If she really is purposefully rubbing it in your face, don't answer the phone if you can screen your calls. Don't give her the enjoyment of knowing she can get to you.

disneydrmr
05-31-2007, 10:43 AM
I too suggest screening your calls. Or next time she calls tell her in as sweet a voice as you can muster that you are so thrilled that she is enjoying Disney and then take over the conversation - tell her to make sure she rides such and such or eats at such and such...suggest things to do... above all - do NOT let her know you are bothered by her calls. Good luck!

kakn7294
05-31-2007, 11:08 AM
Ahhh, the MIL. My FIL's wife (I don't call her my MIL - she's not DH's mother and I don't like her) is a royal pain. Because of my experience, my first thought too was that yours is gloating on purpose - I wasn't about to give her the benefit of the doubt (and I'm still really not). I would screen the calls too and either have DH talk to her or ignore her altogether. To your MIL - may she be surrounded by a lovebug swarm! They're harmless but should scare the daylights out of her.

MsMin
05-31-2007, 11:24 AM
It's just like when a person tries to take you on a guilt trip... don't get on the bus! You have some good advice, avoiding her calls could help. If she is like the evil step mother and is taunting you then being sweet may take all of the fun out of it.
There is a chance that she is trying to bond but I'm sure you know her well.
Focus on you and your family, don't give her access to your emotions. I know if it were my MIL (ex :cloud9:) I would rather be home than to even be in WDW with her!

SBETigg
05-31-2007, 11:41 AM
I have the kind of MIL who would also be gloating, if we were still on speaking terms. But maybe she really sees it as an opportunity to bond with you, knowing how much you love it.

I would try to forget who she is, pretend she is an INTERCOTee giving a live trip report, and soak in the Disney that she has to offer knowing all the while that you would be having an even better time and that you will be back. And then when you're trip-planning again, call and talk her ear off about Disney. If she's gloating now, she'll resent it then. And if not, she'll be delighted to have common ground to get closer to you.

crazeedizneefinatic
05-31-2007, 12:48 PM
How terrible! My MIL knows better than to call me and gloat. I am too brutally honest. I would tell her to take a flying leap. Can you tell we don't get along, lol! If truly she is calling you to gloat play along. Ask her to pick up certain souveniers for you. Make sure they are big and expensive. Keep bothering her about bringing stuff home and where to get it specifically. Tell her how to enjoy her vacation and so on. If she tells you about a restaurant say "oh you didn't eat there did you? You should try ....". Make her feel like she did nothing right. I wouldn't be so nice though, I would tell her straight out not to call. I wonder when my son gets married if I will be considered the wicked MIL?? What is it when kids get married the mother gets to try and run their lives, funny how life is!

Scar
05-31-2007, 06:00 PM
:scratch:

I absolutely love it when people call me from the parks. :shrug:

Marilyn Michetti
05-31-2007, 08:48 PM
Oh sweetie, you just made her day!

I don't know what you can say to someone like that, or even IF there's any one answer. I liked what MsMin said about not getting on the bus for the guilt trip.

This might not be very nice, but the next time she calls, say, "I really can't talk right now. The Fire Dept. just called - something about your house". Then hang up, and leave your phone off the hook.:D

kakn7294
05-31-2007, 09:19 PM
Marilyn, you are sooooo rotten. I love it!

Dakota Rose
05-31-2007, 10:08 PM
You guys are great! Thanks :grouphug: !

From now on I'm screening my calls. I told my hubby that I was going to do that and he agrees. He knows what his mom is up to, so that's good. :thumbsup:

I wish it were just that she was trying to bond with me. I know it's not because of our past history and because of how/what she talks about of her trip. :mad: I tried offering tips on her trip before she went, and she'd always change the subject. She didn't want any of my advice even though I could hand draw a map of all the bathrooms at MK. :blush:

Now, if I were really evil, I'd call her everyday next week to tell her what DH's stepmom and I are doing while there here visiting. :thedolls:

But, I guess I'll be Cinderella-y about it and go about my business. Maybe my Fairy Godmother will turn her into a pumpkin!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-31-2007, 10:25 PM
Don't ignore her calls, make sure you talk to her. Then make up stuff and tell her not to miss seeing such and such. She'll go nuts trying to find whtever it is so that you won't be one up on her. That way she will miss lots trying to find something that doesn't even exist! Then when she asks you about it, deny ever saying it, she must have misunderstood something you had said.

lilmattie13
05-31-2007, 10:51 PM
Reading that last post I laughed so hard I nearly rolled off the bed.

I too have One of Those MILs...:thedolls:

I love the last suggestions. That is something I would definitely do. I would make it my point to get her on the phone and ask so peachy pleasant, where she was, then totally make up something and tell her its right near where she is. She will go nuts trying to find them lol

How cool is that. Ok ok so revenge is not nice, but when she is calling to gloat then there is no reason not to have a little Disney fun with her.

And besides, just try to picture or think of either your last visit to WDW or your upcoming one and picture yourself there, with your family, having a great time, MINUS THE MIL...:)

Dakota Rose
06-01-2007, 05:19 PM
LOL! I love that suggestion. Okay, help me think of something? They're going to be in Animal Kingdom tomorrow. Or maybe something at DTD. Hmmmm.....:secret:

I forgot to add that when I talked to her yesterday, I was able to mention the possible tropical storm headed their way and how it would be rainy today. I'm guessing that's why she didn't call today.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-01-2007, 11:55 PM
How about the new animal that was just born there? They are keeping it somewhat a secret because it's the first time it's been tried and sucessful. It's a cross between a Zebra and a Giraffe. Only Intercot Insiders know about it so far. LOL

snifflesmcg
06-02-2007, 01:14 AM
Oh, she's going to DTD, make sure she watches the fireworks at midnight. When going to MK, make sure she sees Captain EO, Mission to Mars (actually, I bet you wish she would take a REAL one) and oh, Mickey's birthday land. LOL.

lilmattie13
06-02-2007, 10:57 PM
If you have children, have her try to look for something that your child absolutely must have.

For instance a new princess lol Like Princess Jesabelle lol That way she will be asking all over to try to find her grandchild something she desperately wants.

For a boy, make it a particular pirate. Like Dukey Jones and tell her he specifically needs that one.

She will look very foolish asking around for something that doesnt exist lol

Ahhhhh revenge is sweet. In this case, harmless but sweet...:D

Mickey91
06-03-2007, 12:25 AM
When someone tries to rub their WDW trip in my face, I just say,"That's okay, when you get home next week, your trip will be over and I'll still be planning and looking forward to mine!:mickey:

Plus, where is she staying? If it isn't as nice as AKL tell her so! "Well, we will be staying at AKL. It is much better than that! I can't wait to see the animals from our veranda!" :thedolls: Even if you have borrow someone elses veranda to take a picture from!:mickey:

I am so sympathizing with you right now. I just got finished telling my SIL to take a hike and a chill pill.:mad:

Good luck! Go look at the list of dining options and start planning where you might want to stay. Get yourself siked for your trip in '08! Hey, it is less than a year away!!!:mickey: It will be here before you know it:minnie:!

Dakota Rose
06-05-2007, 03:26 PM
I love the zebra-giraffe baby idea. That's hilarious. Amazingly after I pointed out that they were on Tornado Watch and told her about TS Barry, she didn't call anymore. *phew* But, when she gets home, I'll be sure to ask her about the zebra-giraffe or maybe I'll ask why they didn't do EMH. Or maybe ..... the options are endless. :) Thanks, guys!