PDA

View Full Version : Is Donald's Breakfastasauraus that bad?

Mom2princesses
05-31-2007, 09:48 AM
I have an ADR to eat at Donald's Breakfastasauraus on the day that we are going to AK. But now after reading some of the reviews I am having second thoughts. Is it worth it or should we just grab breakfast at Kona (already have an ADR for Kona for breakfast on another day) since we will be staying at the Poly.

Donald is a hard to find character and that was one of the reasons I wanted to take my girls there for breakfast. But everyone seems to be saying that the food is not that great.

What is your opinion? Even though our ADR is for 8 am the park opens at 8 that day so it is not getting us in the Park any earlier.

roryjulie
05-31-2007, 09:55 AM
I have always really liked it. I enjoy seeing Donald, the food is good for buffet style and the location is fun. I also like being inside AK so early-- its a big advantage to beating the heat.

Tynkerbelle
05-31-2007, 10:02 AM
We actually liked it and are going back this year. I was sorry to hear that it's being replaced in Nov.

When we were there they had Krispy Kreme doughnuts - hopefully they'll still have them this year (they're hard to find in my area)!

SBETigg
05-31-2007, 10:12 AM
We had a great experience at Donald's Breakfastosaurus. The characters were very attentive. The food was good, a lot of choices. I see negative reviews for it quite often, but our time there was upbeat and fun.

SoaringEpcot
05-31-2007, 10:20 AM
We ate there in 2005. Everything was great then, the characters spent a lot of time at each table. There was a large selection of food and everthing was delicious. In less there have been some recent changes I would definitely go again.

PirateLover
05-31-2007, 10:31 AM
I don't understand why it had gotten such a bad reputation. I don't find the buffet to be that much different than any other breakfast buffet, and the characters are cool. Don't sweat it. Go and you'll have a great time.

JPL
05-31-2007, 10:32 AM
the breakfast was fine typical Disney Breakfast Buffet. Just don't go there for lunch :sick: absolutely the worst CS in all of WDW

tink'72
05-31-2007, 10:39 AM
:thumbsup: Every time we go to AK we eat at Donald's breakfast. I love the atmosphere and the characters and wait staff are great!

tony2979
05-31-2007, 10:47 AM
We really enjoyed it. Food was good (hard to screw up breakfast) the character interaction was a little slow, but still very good...and our CM was great. Pulled a really cute ketchup bottle joke on my 10 year old that nearly caused my wife to panic :D

I have one picture of our trip on my desk at work, and it is the whole family with Mickey. We were getting ready to leave and the CM grabbed Mickey (who had not made it by yet) to make sure the kids got to see him for a few seconds. She also (without us asking) took our camera and took the family shot.

Love the place....Not so much the food (which was just fine) but it had magical service!

tink179
05-31-2007, 11:13 AM
We went there in January. Like you, we went there for my son, because Donald is his favorite. The character interaction was good. The food was ok...we like Chef Mickey's for breakfast better. If it wasn't being replaced we probably wouldn't go back. The do have krispy kreme donuts, cereal, fruits, sausage, bacon, pancakes, sausage and gravy over biscuits, potatoes, eggs...it's worth it to try once. Especially if your daughter likes donald.:mickey:

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-31-2007, 12:04 PM
We aren't fans of the breakfast at all! We found that the food was OK (not good, but OK), but we were really disappointed with the character interaction - it was quick, they didn't do much with you and CM's were there telling the character that they had to keep going.

kakn7294
05-31-2007, 12:27 PM
I really liked Donald's Breakfastosaurus. I thought the food was very good - it was always hot and fresh. The characters were good too as far as the interaction goes. They spent just as much time with my girls as any other characters at any other character meal. They took the time to sign the autograph books and take a couple of pictures and then move on. It was the same as anywhere else. I would go back again if they weren't replacing it.

Jeff T
05-31-2007, 02:23 PM
We've tried the character breakfast and lunch. I didn't care for the place or the food, especially the Mcdonalds lunch. Our kids on the other hand, really enjoyed the characters at breakfast, and the McNuggets for lunch.

This year I left this place off our list of places to eat. I would rather eat breakfast at the hotel, arrive at the park early, enjoy a few attractions, then visit the Rain Forest Cafe for lunch.

Momof2boys
05-31-2007, 02:26 PM
We did the breakfast in June 04, and thought the food was decent but the character interaction left A LOT to be desired. It was enough to turn us off it.

CleveSJM
05-31-2007, 02:47 PM
I got some bad OJ there at an 8am sitting. Luckily only my father-in-law and I shared from the bad caraffe but it took us out of action for the rest of the day. :sick::sick:

We enjoyed the Cape May breakfast much more a few days later.

NewmanFamily6
05-31-2007, 02:50 PM
We just went this past December. We loved it! The kids had a great time and actually ate well. We had a good amount of character interaction too:thumbsup:

disneydrmr
05-31-2007, 03:07 PM
I went in December and it was the worst of all our meal experiences... I would say judging from all the reviews and responses that this is a hit and miss. The day we were there the food was not at it's best.. and the characters were not attentive at all. We also had the worst server of our whole trip. I say go ahead and go though ... maybe you'll catch it on a good day.

Goes4FastPass
05-31-2007, 04:24 PM
Yes, it's that lousy.

We recently had great "Donald Time" at the Toon Town Hall of Fame (What's it called again?) Note: When you get there you'll probably see along line - that's for Storybook Friends (Princesses). Donald is ussally at Toon Pals - a much shorter line.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-31-2007, 09:14 PM
We had great character interaction at our breakfast. The food was awful though. :sick:

JessicaRabbit
06-01-2007, 09:59 AM
just this past April. The food was ok (not great but ok) our server was very friendly and efficient and the character interaction was pretty good. The characters came through twice - the first time they posed for pictures with all three kids and signed my daughter's autograph book. The second time the characters just passed through - waving and hugging. We didn't feel rushed at all (if I remember correctly our ressie's were at 9:30 a.m.).

If were were to go back, I'm not sure I'd do this one again - only because there are so many other character breakfasts we would want to try - but if your daughters like Donald then I say go for it - we got some good pics of our kids with Donald.:mickey:

PirateLover
06-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Yes, it's that lousy.

Care to expound? I don't see how this really hopes the OP. You say it's lousy but others (like me) had a great experience. So I'm sure we would like to hear why you didn't enjoy it. Was your food bad, service bad, interaction bad, all of the above?

epceddie
06-01-2007, 01:30 PM
I've been several times with family members and it always turned into one of the highlights of our trips.
My father acted like a little kid when he got a chance to have his picture taken with Donald. He was thrilled and couldn't stop smiling. Everyone in the family got a copy of that photo and my dad has his displayed prominently on the living room mantle above the fireplace.
Goofy really hammed it up with one of my nephews another time we were there. He was about 13 at the time and loved the attention.
We have a lifetime of memories from the photos we've taken over the years and the food has always been quite good.
I going back with my fiancee the second week of June and can't wait. She's a big fan of Donald and I'll be able to add another great photo to my collection.

Goes4FastPass
06-01-2007, 01:56 PM
Care to expound?...
The food was terrible - as others have indicated.

Through the looking Glass
06-01-2007, 05:00 PM
We enjoy it every year. Food is standard Buffet. If you are going there for food look some where else. We have allways had good interaction with the Charactors, they stay just long enough to enterain with pictures and autographs about the same time as anyother Charactor meal. We usally make our ADR's early to enjoy the park before it opens.

DisneyDude1977
06-01-2007, 05:19 PM
DW and I have been there a few times, and have always greatly enjoyed it. Just kinda fun for us I guess.

Mom2princesses
06-01-2007, 10:24 PM
Thanks everyone for responding! It does look like it is a hit or miss. I agree with Tony it is hard to screw up breakfast. I'm not looking for a great dining experience just breakfast. I am really going there to take the girls to see Donald. So I think I will keep the ADR and go.

Your responses helped a lot and also have helped me know what to expect. After all a picture with smiling kids and Donald is priceless! Besides we'll have Tonga Toast another day! I love the post about Dad being so happy getting his picture taken with Donald what a great story! There is just something special about that Duck! :donald:

Thanks again!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-01-2007, 10:41 PM
When we went, we had a great server. However we actually had to REQUEST that the characters come to our table. For some reason, they were all passing us by. And as stated already, the food wasn't anything special. Just average at best.

TiggerRPh
06-01-2007, 11:53 PM
We have eaten there on every trip since it's been running and we've never had a bad experience there.

Melanie
06-02-2007, 05:42 AM
Was your food bad, service bad, interaction bad, all of the above?

Set-up is horrible! I really don't like how they are doing the seating now. :crowd: Food was okay, and characters were rushed. We had a very nice server.

Won't be going back and glad the venue for Donald's feature AK breakfast is changing. :donald:

Maleficent's Dad
06-02-2007, 06:27 AM
Set-up is horrible! I really don't like how they are doing the seating now. :crowd: Food was okay, and characters were rushed. We had a very nice server.
We've had the same experience.
With both sides of the restaurant being used, the characters have been rushed when we've been there. It's a large place!

I don't care for the buffet setup and the way the lines go.

Looking forward to the new character b'fast at AK. :mickey:

Mickey91
06-02-2007, 11:03 PM
Which Characters are actually there?

DisneyDude1977
06-03-2007, 11:14 AM
When I last at the Donald's Breakfastosaurus, the characters were Donald, Mickey, Goofy, Chip, and Dale.

moe513
06-03-2007, 11:31 AM
It is just okay. I do think it is one of the worst meals I have had at wdw if I was going to compare. However, the characters are fun. We also saw Donald at chef mickeys,camp minnie mickey in ak and the character meetings at innovation in epcot.