PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter "Wizarding World" coming to Universal Islands of Adventure

mom*3
05-31-2007, 02:09 AM
The rumors were true! Universal in Florida is building a Harry Potter themed land. It was just announced.

Harry Potter coming to Orlando's Universal Studios
Islands of Adventure theme park to feature The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
Scott Powers
Sentinel Staff Writer

May 31, 2007

Universal Orlando has secured rights to the phenomenally successful Harry Potter stories and will build a themed area of rides, shops and restaurants called "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter" at Islands of Adventure.

Universal, author J.K. Rowling and Warner Bros. Studios, which makes the Harry Potter movies, are making a worldwide announcement of the deal today. Universal expects to break ground late this summer and have "Wizarding World" open by late 2009.

In an interview with the Orlando Sentinel, Universal Orlando Resort President Bill Davis characterized the deal as perhaps the biggest in the resort's history, and one of the biggest in theme-park business history.

The announcement ends long-simmering, unconfirmed industry speculation that both Universal and Walt Disney Parks and Resorts have been bidding to acquire theme-park rights to the boy-wizard wonder. The brainchild of British author Rowling, the Harry Potter series of books and movies has grossed billions of dollars in sales over the past decade.

The news also redefines prospects for Universal Orlando. Universal has seen a slow, steady slide in attendance since 2004 -- including a drop of 2.8 percent to 2.1 million visitors in the first quarter of this year -- and has struggled to address criticism that it hasn't added much new excitement in recent years.

"We think this is the most exciting news we've ever had out here," Davis said. "We think it is going to have a huge impact on all our constituencies: our guests, our team members, our management team, everybody. This is absolutely huge. We're just thrilled and excited we were selected for the 'Wizarding World of Harry Potter.' "

No terms have been disclosed of the contract between Universal, Warner Bros. and Rowling. Universal declined to reveal what it intends to invest in "Wizarding World." But the corporation's annual report released earlier this year indicated the company intended to spend up to $120 million this year on new items -- triple what was spent in 2005 or 2006 -- and Davis said the company would have high capital budgets in 2008 and '09 as well. Universal also has announced a new ride based on The Simpsons cartoon, to open next year.

In a news release, Tom Williams, chairman of Universal Parks and Resorts, vowed that the company would "devote more time, more money, more expertise and more executive talent from throughout our entire organization and creative team -- as well as from Warner Bros., our partners -- to ensure that this entire environment is second-to-none."

In the same release, Rowling declared, "The plans I've seen look incredibly exciting, and I don't think fans of the books or films will be disappointed."

In her Harry Potter books, Rowling created a fictional, magical world of witches and wizards existing parallel to -- yet largely hidden from -- ordinary, contemporary Britain. The stories center on Harry, a young wizardry student, and his friends at a boarding school called Hogwarts. Together, they struggle with schoolwork, family problems, teen angst, young love, and evil wizards and witches trying to kill them.

A 20-acre Potter 'island'

Universal plans a 20-acre "Wizarding World," a little bigger than the average size of its themed "islands" at Islands of Adventure. Part would be carved away from what is now "The Lost Continent" island, and the rest would be land now used for employee parking and park support, outside the back fence.

The new, "seventh island" would feature reconstructed and rethemed attractions, and all-new ones, Scott Trowbridge, vice president of Universal's Creative Studios, said in an interview. The Hogwarts castle and locations from Rowling's Forbidden Forest and Hogsmeade village will be created as backdrops to attractions, shops and restaurants.

Three-time Academy Award-winning production designer Stuart Craig, who designed sets for all the Harry Potter movies, leads the "Wizarding World" design team.

Much of "The Lost Continent" island, including Universal's award-winning Mythos Restaurant, will be retained as a separate themed area, just smaller. The island is to remain open during construction as well.

Some current "Lost Continent" attractions such as The Dueling Dragons roller coasters and The Flying Unicorn coaster ride likely would be adapted to fit the Harry Potter story. Trowbridge would not discuss specific attractions, but did say that Universal intended to "leverage some existing infrastructure." He said that would have to include far more than a new paint job and a new sign, because too much is at stake.

Davis agreed, noting that the large, dedicated fan base that Universal hopes to capture could turn on the resort if fans conclude Universal cheapened the Harry Potter concept.

"We do have a responsibility to all the fans that are out there in the world that have followed the Harry Potter saga through the films and the books," Davis said. "We're taking that very, very seriously. We're going to be true to the books and the films, and make sure that when people come here they're going to be very, very happy with what they see."

Billion-dollar business

The Harry Potter phenomenon has been phenomenally lucrative.

The first six books have sold more than 300 million copies, in 63 languages, according to the BBC Web site. The most recent, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, sold nearly 7 million copies in the United States just in its first day in print.

The four movies have pulled in more than $3.5 billion so far, according to the independent Hollywood tracking Web site boxofficemojo.com. All of the movies are among the 20 highest-grossing ever, led by Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, which, with a $976.5 million box office, is the fourth-biggest film of all time.

And the Harry Potter story continues.

The seventh and final novel, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, will be released July 21. The fifth movie, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, will be released July 11. The sixth and seventh films are certain to follow in coming years.

And now coming at the end of this decade: "Harry Potter and the Islands of Adventure."

If it had looked to some critics as if Universal had not brought much new to Islands of Adventure lately, it's because the company had been seeking "the right fit," then working to get Harry Potter when it became available, Trowbridge said.

"We've worked for the past couple of years to figure out how we could bring it to life," he said. "We were really looking for something that had the kind of power, the kind of transportive and immersive world of imagination that Harry Potter brings."

joelkfla
05-31-2007, 08:33 AM
It's official -- "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter" is going to Universal Orlando Islands of Adventure, not to a Disney park. Construction starts late this summer; opening is planned late 2009 or early 2010.

Additional info is at universalorlando.com and orlandosentinel.com.

nickcapp
05-31-2007, 09:07 AM
Well. I fully expect disney to respond....

I wonder how.

sillyolbear
05-31-2007, 09:15 AM
Well. I fully expect disney to respond....

I wonder how.

That should make this forum fun for a little while!

mel
05-31-2007, 10:16 AM
Disney has really dropped the ball on this one.. :(

DakotaDisney
05-31-2007, 10:40 AM
I don't think Disney dropped the ball on this one.

The Harry Potter franchise/stories are not a Disney created products. (I don't think? Right?)
I like to see Disney stay with park attractions that are related to Disney created products.

As it always is, it will be interesting to see what Disney has up there sleeves for future development.

joelkfla
05-31-2007, 11:02 AM
Both the Sentinel & Universal web sites have artist's renderings of Hogwarts Catsle and Hogmeade.

The Universal site also says the new Island will include an entirely new state-of-the-art attraction, but details are "not currently available."

I predict Disney attendance will take a hit in 2010, the Wizarding World's first summer. Whether Disney is affected long term depends on how good a job Universal does. If Universal pulls it off with Disney quality, IOA could become the vacation destination of choice for Harry Potter fans.

joelkfla
05-31-2007, 11:15 AM
ORLANDO, Fla (May 31, 2007) - Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. and Universal Orlando Resort are partnering to create the world’s first fully immersive Harry Potter themed environment based on the bestselling books by J.K. Rowling and blockbuster feature films from Warner Bros. Envisioned as a “theme park within a theme park” and titled “The Wizarding World of Harry Potter,” the new environment will become part of the experience within Universal’s Islands of Adventure theme park at the Universal Orlando Resort.

“Over the years we’ve received thousands of letters from fans around the world wishing they could visit Hogwarts and the wonderful locations described in each of J.K. Rowling’s beloved stories,” said Barry Meyer, chairman and CEO, Warner Bros. Entertainment. “Working with Universal Orlando Resort, we are confident that we’ll be able to provide Harry Potter fans with an incredible experience that upholds the richness of J.K. Rowling’s books and delivers on the authentic detail portrayed in our films.”

“We will rely on our company’s rich movie heritage and expertise in transforming film concepts into theme park entertainment experiences,” said Ron Meyer, president and COO, Universal Studios. “The Harry Potter stories are among the most compelling of our time. The millions of people who have read the books and seen the movies will now be able to experience the world of Harry Potter in person.”

Inspired by J.K. Rowling’s compelling stories and characters – and faithful to the visual landscapes of the films – “The Wizarding World of Harry Potter” will provide a one-of-a-kind opportunity to experience the magical world of Harry and his friends. The fully immersive, themed land will enable guests to visit some of the most iconic locations found in the books and the films including the village of Hogsmeade, the mysterious Forbidden Forest, and even Hogwarts castle itself. "The plans I've seen look incredibly exciting, and I don't think fans of the books or films will be disappointed," said J.K. Rowling.

“We have a profound sense of responsibility for the Harry Potter franchise at Warner Bros. Bringing the magic of J.K. Rowling’s written word to the motion picture screen was the first step in expanding this amazing and imaginative world. Working with Universal Orlando Resort to bring it to life in a physical environment that you can walk through, relax in and ride on is the natural next step for fans to experience and enjoy,” said Alan Horn, president and COO, Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.

Expected to open in late 2009, the new environment will feature immersive rides and interactive attractions, as well as experiential shops and restaurants that will enable guests to sample fare from the wizarding world’s best known establishments. Also debuting will be a state-of-the-art attraction that will bring the magic, characters and stories of Harry Potter to life in an exciting way that guests have never before experienced.

“We are going to devote more time, more money, more expertise and more executive talent from throughout our entire organization and creative team – as well as from Warner Bros., our partners – to ensure that
this entire environment is second-to-none,” said Tom Williams, chairman and CEO, Universal Parks
and Resorts.

Brad Globe, president of Warner Bros. Worldwide Consumer Products, added: “In Universal, we found the right partner whose unparalleled commitment will ensure that this is a world class destination. Their track record of success and the consistently high level of entertainment at all of their parks gave us the confidence to know that they will meet—or exceed— the extremely high expectations we all have for this project.”

The Academy Award-winning production designer Stuart Craig, who has worked to bring the world of Harry Potter to life in all of the feature films to date, leads the creative design for the area to ensure it remains faithful to the look and feel of the films.

“Our primary goal is to make sure this experience is an authentic extension of Harry Potter’s world as it is portrayed in the books and films,” said Craig. “I am very excited to be working closely with the Universal Orlando team to bring the area to life.”

The Universal Orlando resort destination (www.universalorlando.com) includes two dramatically distinct and adjacent theme parks, the Universal Studios motion picture and television theme park and Universal’s Islands of Adventure, Orlando's most thrilling and exhilarating theme park. Universal Orlando also includes CityWalk, a 30-acre dining, shopping, club and live-entertainment venue as well as premier on-site Loews hotels and world-class film and television production facilities.

Harry Potter continues to be a global phenomenon. The series of books by author J.K. Rowling has been translated into 65 languages with more than 325 million copies sold in over 200 territories around the world. The films, produced by Warner Bros. Pictures, have grossed more than $3.5 billion at the box office worldwide. Each of the four Harry Potter films produced to date has the distinction of making it into the all time top 20 grossing films worldwide. The fifth film in the series, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix™, will be released in theatres on July 11, 2007.

Disneymom4ever
05-31-2007, 11:39 AM
Wow! As much as my family and I are Disney fanatics, we will definitely be going to this when it opens. My boys LOVE Harry Potter! I think this is going to be huge for Universal! It will be interesting to see what Disney thinks and does about this one.

WDWizard
05-31-2007, 12:20 PM
Wow! This is going to be one of the best theme park attractions ever. Disney really messed up on this one (they were also trying to get the rights to make a HP park). Harry Potter is very popular around the world and I'm sure fans everywhere dream of experiencing the books. With this now at Universal, I'm sure attendance will rise and Disney will wish they had Potter.

Disney needed Harry Potter. Why? Because they dont make good movies like they used to in the 80s-90s. These days they have to rely on PIXAR characters to base attractions on. I'm sure Universal will do a great job with Harry Potter, and Disney could have, as well, but they lost their chance. I'm actually happy that Universal got Harry Potter over Disney, because I think Universal will do a better job at creating unique Harry Potter themed attractions. The good thing is that Disney is known to respond to big competition like this, so I'm sure they are already trying to come up with the next best thing to try to beat Universal, like another popular Childrens book series they already have...Narnia.

Speedy1998
05-31-2007, 01:21 PM
Disney has really dropped the ball on this one.. :(

Not so sure about that. What was Disney supposed to do, replace Cinderella Castle with Hogwarts? It is only going to be a 20 acre addition so it is much to small to make into a stand alone theme park. (Besides I think we have beat a dead horse on these boards that Disney should improve the parks it has before adding a fifth gate).

Personnally I think this is a good thing for the WDW fans. (stick with me for a second while I explain). With the popularity of Harry Potter, IOA is most likly going to stop their attendance slid, and start pulling guest away from WDW. In response to the new competition WDW will most likely add new attractions, and possibly expand current parks (competion is a wonderful thing).

mel
05-31-2007, 01:49 PM
Well I have to say that not all things at dw are disney related products...ie..MGM studios.. I really think think disney messed up on this one.. unless .. they will respond with a narnia related land at mgm...:secret:

BashfulMom
05-31-2007, 01:51 PM
(competion is a wonderful thing).

I agree, competition keeps people & companies from becoming lazy. ;)
I would also hope that this would help thin the crowds a bit in years to come.

WDWfanatic742
05-31-2007, 03:04 PM
Thing is, is Narnia or Harry Potter more popular with people. I've found more people like Harry Potter than Narnia. Disney won't want to do the same thing that another competitor is doing which is expanding one section of a park into a fantasy franchise like both of the movies. Good thing is that this should make Disney step it up with new rides, especially in the struggling MGM Studios right now. TSM should help with it for a little while, but I can think of about half of the rides in the park they can replace or update with something new and different. Theme Parks need to change to keep getting people to come back, and Universal management just figured this out with IOA. Luckily, Disney is adding stuff all the time to every park they have.

brewcrew26
05-31-2007, 03:51 PM
I really wanted the rumors to not be true! As incredible as the artist renderings are for Hogsmeade, Hogwarts, etc...I agree with many that Disney dropped the ball. I don't think Narnia is as big of draw as HP. And, if they decide to do anything with Narnia, it will be on a small scale, perhaps just a show or something, not a whole new land.

The best bet Disney has now is to try and compete and market as much they can with Pixar.

Still, I'll be one of the first to see the new HP park in '09. Hmm...wonder if I can have my wedding at Hogwarts???

:mickey:

AvonleaCF
05-31-2007, 04:10 PM
I'm a Harry Potter fan, and really want to see this after it opens, but it means having to go to Universal!! Not that I have anything against Universal, it's just that IOA has no draw for me because I don't like wild rides, so spending money on transportation to Universal plus a ticket to get in seems like a waste to me, since I won't go on 90% of the rides there.

But maybe...just maybe...I'll have to check this out...

And I agree with Speedy -- this just means Disney will come up with some really great, new attractions.

Speedy1998
05-31-2007, 10:46 PM
You know I just read the article again, and I was wondering, am I just missing it or is Universal not building any new attractions? It almost reads like they are taking 2 popular rides and doing a theme change on them, and adding buildings to give the park the look of the world of Harry Potter. If I am missing something please point it out.

WDWfanatic742
05-31-2007, 11:40 PM
They are supposed to add at least one new attraction that has never been done before. The article doesn't point this out, but there are numerous others that have quotes of the people responsible for the project saying that. Including the HP page on Universal Orlando's site.

Wells
06-01-2007, 08:39 AM
The rumor, which has been circulating for some time now, about the new ride is that it will be based on the KUKA Robocoaster technology. I have also heard that the story line for this ride will feature a ride in the Weasly's Anglia.....
Disney had actually been considering a Robocoaster based ride with an "Incredibles” theme, but backed off because of some liability concerns. So let’s hear it for the lawyers!!!!! (It’s all fun and games until someone loses an eye, or gets slapped by Tigger.);)

WDWizard
06-01-2007, 08:47 AM
The new HP World is supposed to include one major yet-to-be-announced E-ticket, and a few smaller attractions like the Forbidden Forest area where guests can walk around and explore. I'm sure the queue for the big E-ticket will take you through several parts of Hogwarts castle before you get to the ride. The ride is supposed to be a simulator using the Kuka robotic arm technology that Universal has. Other than that, expect the re-theming of Dueling Dragons and Flying Unicorn coasters to Harry Potter.

NJGIRL
06-04-2007, 12:06 PM
This is great news!!!! I can't wait to see the new area.

mel
06-04-2007, 12:24 PM
I wonder if the ford anglina ride will be similiar to rock and roll roller coaster:confused:

Goofy Pluto
06-04-2007, 05:09 PM
I think this will be really cool. We haven't been to Universal since 2000. IOA was starting to look tired and they really have not been doing anything new there for a long time. This will give them a new boost. We won't be going there this coming trip, but when we go back again next time (5 years?) we'll have to fit in Universal to check this out.

I also wanted to mention, with this big announcment and everyone talking about Disney's response, anyone think that MAYBE this will be the thing that FINALLY gets Beastly Kingdom built at Animal Kingdom? I can only hope!

thejens
06-28-2007, 10:22 PM
I must say the idea of Disney doing a Narnia land makes me laugh!!!:funny: Has anyone been to the Narnia, um, "attraction" in MGM??? :shake: I love HP and have never been to Universal, but definitely plan to do a Universal trip instead of Disney when it opens. I hope they really capture all the rich detail communicated in the books and not just a few rides. I think Universal is smart because they are doing what Disney does best which is to start with a wonderful story. That's what makes it magic. Maybe DW should find the story before it becomes the movie, before it becomes the park...

automation85
06-29-2007, 08:13 AM
Maybe it's just me, but Universal is not even close to the standard expected at Disney. Their upkeep in the parks (let alone adding new attractions) is pretty much absent. And as for an immersive experience, I feel that Disney hires cast members while Universal hires employees. Therefore, I can't see very many british accents and believable shows. Just like everything else at IOA, the rides will be rides. They say they will try their best to keep it true to the books and movies, but I say that looks good on paper, but I won't put any money on it.

As for Disney, there is always something in the pipeline, and right now they have a lot of refurb and plussing to worry about to focus most of its energy on a counter point. Ideas like Beastly Kingdom are still floating around and may resurface again, but I really think that Disney will wait to see how much of a hit they actually take before making any decisions.

As for Narnia, I can't possibly see how a whole area can be devoted to it. Have a small attraction is fine, since it was a display of memorabilia, but just think about how many shows you can make on the movie(s).

Just my thoughts.

MindyMouse
06-29-2007, 01:22 PM
I was really hoping that Disney was going to pick up on the Harry Potter thing. Disney and Harry Potter in the same area would have been great:cloud9:

Since it wasn't meant to be, I will have to force myself to visit IOA. I've never been there, so I'll have to add it to the plan.

If given the choice, though, I will always choose WDW.