PDA

View Full Version : DownTown Disney or Boardwalk worth the time?

Alpha Jeanie
05-30-2007, 08:32 PM
We didn't have time to visit Down Town Disney or the Boardwalk on our last trip to the World last May. We will be there again next May. We have an 11 year old son and a 5 year old daughter. Is there enough to see at these places to warrant time away from the parks to go there? I'm not so interested in dining there. There are plenty of fun & good restaurants at the parks/resorts.

Any input would be great!! :mickey:

baby minnie's mommy
05-30-2007, 09:25 PM
I consider DTD a great place to go on days that you can't or don't want to go to a park, but not to replace a park. For instance, I love to go the day I arrive, after we check out of our hotel, or after a short day at a park (such as AK that closes early).

There's tons of shopping :shop: , Disney music playing, nice eateries, a carousel ($2 to ride), a lego play area, lots of great ways to get into the Disney spirit! :mickey: It's a great place to pick up T-shirts and other stuff to use the remainder of the trip.

RockChalkKimball
05-30-2007, 09:50 PM
We love DTD and visit is several times during each trip. It is a great place to get away from the parks and shop. We always go there on our last night and buy all the fun little stuff that I didn't get in the parks, like pens and notepads, etc. We had been to WDW several times before we discovered the Boardwalk. We now visit it at least one evening while we are there. The boat ride from MGM is fun in itself. My DS and DH really like the street performers, so my DD and I leave them to watch that while we shop. They are both definately worth the time to check them out.

Guya103
05-30-2007, 10:03 PM
Both are musts!! DTD has a great number of wonderful shops & restaurants along with evening entertainment. We find ourselves spending a great deal of evenings at DTD. World of Disney store has every souvenir you need and then some. It is a great place to do your shopping if you can't find time while visiting the parks.

The Boardwalk is a great place with a distinctive atmosphere all its own. We love to spend an afternoon or two there strolling around and looking in all the shops. There are a variety of restaurants there as well. It is a great location to walk to from EPCOT. I have heard that evenings there are great as well been have never experienced it at that time.

Since you have never been to either, I would give both a shot if you can find the time. I can guarantee that DTD will be a favorite for your entire family!:mickey:

tinksmom02
05-30-2007, 10:04 PM
I consider DTD a great place to go on days that you can't or don't want to go to a park, but not to replace a park. For instance, I love to go the day I arrive, after we check out of our hotel, or after a short day at a park (such as AK that closes early).

There's tons of shopping :shop: , Disney music playing, nice eateries, a carousel ($2 to ride), a lego play area, lots of great ways to get into the Disney spirit! :mickey: It's a great place to pick up T-shirts and other stuff to use the remainder of the trip.

Couldn't have said it better myself! We love DTD and typically visit 1 or 2 times a trip.

Don't forget to stop at Ghirardelli's for a sundae! :cloud9:

DakotaDisney
05-30-2007, 10:15 PM
Next time I go I will have to check out Downtown Disney again, because prior to reading the other responses I had a different opinion about it. I have not been to the Boardwalk, but would like to sometime.

I enjoyed Downtown Disney, but I wouldn't take time away from the parks to go see it. I think it really depends on what you like to do. If you like shops, restaurants and/or interesting shopping/entertainment centers then its neat. But if that's not your main interest or feel you can see that kind of stuff elsewhere then I would spend your time at the parks or resorts.

I don't know about how kids would like it either. I wasn't there with children, and I was there in the evening and it was somewhat crowded and I don't know if kids would really have enjoyed it very much other than the cool Lego store.

I did go see "La Nouba" the Cirque De Soliel show and it was awesome! I think kids would enjoy it, if you want to spend the extra money.

JCDarzi
05-31-2007, 12:02 AM
We like to go to DTD on our first day instead of going to a park since we don't have a full day. I think it depends on how much time you have. I wouldn't sacrifice park time for DTD or Boardwalk but I would go there to break up your park time. We usually do a park a day so by Day 5 we've toured the parks and are ready for a non-park day.

There's great shopping at DTD but mostly you could get the items in the park. I love the princess room and BBB at the World of Disney and the Lego store is a lot of fun for kids. There's an area next to the store with lots of Legos for building. We have a hard time getting our kids away from there.

Boardwalk was smaller and we went during the day. It was calm and peaceful but I think it would be better at night. I probably wouldn't go back there unless it was at night.

TiggerRPh
05-31-2007, 12:36 AM
I have never been to the Boardwalk and never had much of a desire to go there. As for Downtown Disney...it is worth the trip...If for nothing else but World of Disney and Once Upon a Toy.

If you or your kids are into legos, the Lego Store is probably worth the trip.

Even if you don't plan on doing a lot of shopping, it's probably worth it just to walk around and check it out.

iceicebritney
06-05-2007, 10:16 PM
disney marketplace for sure with the kids. and then head to disney quest over at the west side. its a one time do - so if you have time check it out. its not worth visiting a second time if you've been there before though.

the boardwalk really has nothing to do. if you want to put urself through the torcher of peddling a surrey bike up and around the boardwalk... by all means do so - its really a workout though i will warn ya!:mickey: