PDA

View Full Version : WDW Trip Write-Up: Disney-MGM Studios

Mandalorian30
05-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Hello everyone!

I recently took a trip to WDW at the end of March. Upon returning, I wrote up several write-ups about my experiences. I will be posting each individual write-up for you all to read! I really hope you all enjoy! Thanks for taking the time to check them all out! :mickey:

Disney-MGM Studios

The last Disney Park we had left to visit was Disney-MGM Studios. This park almost ranks as high as the Magic Kingdom on my list. I love this place! It’s a very movie-themed park. Much of the park resembles studio back lots, and has many movie and TV themed rides and attractions. If you love movies, you’d have a blast at Disney-MGM. This place is crawling with attractions featuring famous movies such as Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and even The Muppets! Can you already tell why I like it so much?

Upon entering the park, the first thing we did was head straight towards The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror! This is one of the most talked about rides in all of Disney World. The ride resembles an old abandoned hotel called The Hollywood Tower Hotel. Upon entering the building, you see that awesome Disney magic at work. The inside is greatly detailed. There is dust everywhere. Items laying all around as if they were left there in the 20’s by the last guests the hotel ever saw. With old, creepy music playing in the background, this place almost has the same feel as The Haunted Mansion.

After waiting in line, you are then moved into a small library room, where a TV then comes on showing a short clip that sets up the story of the ride in true Twilight Zone fashion. It’s in black and white, and the actor playing the host of the show looks and sounds remarkably like the host of the original television series! You learn that lightning struck this tower years ago, blowing out the elevators. The hotel has been shut down ever since. But there is a maintenance elevator still in service, set to take you straight to The Twilight Zone! After the video, you are sent through the hotels boiler room to load onto the elevators.

From here, you are seated in the elevators and the doors close. You feel yourself moving up. Suddenly the doors open, and you see the spirits of the people who died when the hotel was struck by lighting. Some incredible special effects are used here, as the spirits disappear and the room fades to black. It now looks as though you’re in space, except for a window floating at the end of the hall that shatters. It’s quite amazing to see. Your elevator is then moved in place. It stops, as you sit in anticipation. Suddenly, the elevator drops! But, that’s not all! The elevator then shoots back up, and drops again. A window is now open that looks over all of Disney-MGM, so you can see how high up you are as you continue to shoot up, and then back down! It’s quite a rush! The best part is every ride is random! You never know how many times your elevator will go up and down! The Tower of Terror was immediately on our favorite ride list of Disney World!

Right after the Tower of Terror, we hit the Aerosmith Rockin’ Roller Coaster! This is one awesome coaster, the kind that launches you from 0-70 mph right at the start of the ride! The coaster itself is shaped to look like a stretch limo, and the whole time you’re riding the headrest is pumping out Aerosmith music! If you like coasters don’t miss out on this one! It’s over quickly, but it’s fast and quite thrilling!

One of my favorites, of course, is the Star Wars: Star Tours ride. This ride is a flight simulator in which you are boarding a ship that is taking you to visit the moon of Endor. But, your pilot droid, Rex, is a bit of a trouble maker, and you end up flying right through a space battle between the Rebel Forces and the Galactic Empire! If you are a Star Wars fan like myself, this is a must ride! But even people who aren’t big fans of the films will get enjoyment out of this one! Plus, right outside is a huge AT-AT Walker, and a really cool Star Wars store that looks like a building right off the planet Tatooine! Have I lost any of you with my Star Wars lingo yet?

Aside from great thrill rides, Disney-MGM is also home to some fantastic shows! We made sure to hit them all! We started with the Beauty and the Beast Stage show. Christina had been waiting all week to see this one, so we went to the first showing. I was really impressed with this one. The acting was great and the singing was fantastic. It told the whole story of the movie in a shortened way, and was executed perfectly. I’d highly recommend seeing this one, especially if you have kids.

We also checked out the Little Mermaid show, which was mostly done with puppets. It utilized some cool special effects as well. This one seems to appeal more to children, but was still enjoyable. Then, of course, there’s the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular. I love this show! In this, many familiar scenes from the Indiana Jones movies are reenacted, all while they teach you all about the stunts! Make sure you take the time to see this one!

Then, there’s Lights, Motors, Action! This is one of the all-new stunt shows. It’s all about driving stunts, and man is it cool! Cars, Motorcycles, wave runners, and explosions! This one is a lot of fun, and you get to see some really great stunts, as well as learn how they are done! Even if you aren’t big into cars, like me, you’ll still really enjoy this one. I promise!

Disney-MGM Studios is also the home of several other great attractions. At the Disney Animation Studio, you get to see original concept art from several Disney Classics. You also learn that this studio is where several Disney movies were made, such as Mulan and Lilo and Stitch! Walt Disney: One Man’s Dream is a fantastic walk-through “museum” that allows you to learn all about Walt, while at the same time seeing many cool models and videos showing how everything Disney was created. Then end features a fantastic movie all about Walt. This, in my opinion, is a must see!

Muppet Vision 3-D is a 3-D show featuring those crazy Muppets. This one is a lot of fun, and never seems to be too crowded. The Great Movie Ride is a classic Disney Dark Ride that takes you through several movies using animatronics. And then here’s the Disney Back lot Tour, which unfortunately, we missed out on.

At the end of every day, Disney-MGM Studios presents Fantasmic, which is a widely talked about, must-see show at Disney World. Everyone is always saying to get to this show! And I am now one of those people. If you are going to MGM, you NEED to see this show.

The show starts when the park closes, but it fills up so fast that you need to hop in line about 45 minutes before hand to get a seat. The show features Mickey Mouse and several Disney Characters. The attraction utilizes amazing water effects, fireworks, and small explosions! The story is a lot of fun, and you get to see several Disney characters. You leave this attraction with an all-around good feeling. It’s amazing, simply put. Everyone needs to see this show. I took video of it, and hopefully will have it online soon for viewing. But the video will not do it justice. It needs to be seen live. Take my word for it; you won’t be disappointed with this one!

As I stated earlier, this park almost ranks as high as the Magic Kingdom on my list. This park is filled with great thrill rides, amazing shows, and awesome scenery! While all 4 Disney Parks should be attended on your visit, make sue this one is a top priority!

Click here to view my MGM photo album! (http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c179/Mandalorian30/MGM%20Studios/)

pdrlkr
05-31-2007, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the great report! :smickey:

mrsgaribaldi
05-31-2007, 05:20 AM
I love ToT!!!:thumbsup:We usually do it 3-4 times in a row. I've never seen the Beauty and the Beast show yet:blush: We have to catch it one of these days. The walk through about Walt Disney is fascinating:mickey:I love to really exam everything closely. Thanks for sharing another great day.

pogo
05-31-2007, 07:22 AM
Thanks for another great report. :D

disneydrmr
05-31-2007, 09:40 AM
I agree with you on ToT! What a rush! It's my favorite of all the MGM rides! Thanks for reporting! :mickey:

Mandalorian30
05-31-2007, 11:57 AM
The WD Walkthrough is probably one of my favorite things in all of WDW. I love seeing all of that stuff. It makes me proud that I am spending my vacation there.

Thanks again for all of the positive feedback!

tron80
05-31-2007, 05:35 PM
Another ToT fan! I agree that it's one amazing ride,in fact it's my personal favorite. Thanks for the report!

Mandalorian30
06-01-2007, 01:14 AM
A link to my MGM photo album has just been added to the end of my report! :)

merlinmagic4
06-01-2007, 06:49 AM
Great report!!

ChipnDaleGal
06-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Great write up of a day at MGM. I could see it all in my mind as I read along. I love that! Glad you had such a good time and thanks for sharing it with us. :mickey:

faline
06-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Thanks for providing such a descriptive report of your Disney Studios visit!

Tower of Terror is one of my favorite Disney rides!