PDA

View Full Version : Teens on their own

septembergirl
05-30-2007, 02:28 AM
Anyone who has teens: How much freedom do you give them in the parks/resorts and using bus transportation?

BigRedDad
05-30-2007, 03:43 AM
It really depends. When I was growing up, we had free run of the parks, transportation and whatever we wanted to do when I was 8 or 9 (with a group). Times have changed. I would be less concerned with teen boys than girls. If they are in a group and stay as a group, I would let them go off together.

Willowwind
05-30-2007, 08:14 AM
I also had the run of the park and transportation around age 10. But that was decades ago and there's no way that I'd let my kids do that today.

My BFF and I were discussing this just the other day. We'll have 4 kids with us in December and we've decided that they can spend some time on their own during this trip. The ones that get to go are 14, 13 & 10, here are the rules.

1) They must stick together
2) They must have their cell phones on them, and ON.
3) They must check in every hour or so.

The 8 year old who will be the smallest child on the trip is probably going to be REALLY upset, but that's life.

wdwfan
05-30-2007, 08:16 AM
We're taking our niece and one of her friends (both age 15) and have been discussing the same thing. Once we're at park then they can go on their own and we will plan times to meet up with them. They will also have cell phone so if they get caught in a line they can call. As far as going on bus alone, or to a different park no I wouldn't even consider.
We're staying at the Swan & I have no objection to them walking around the Boardwalk & the other Epcot resorts but that's about it.

SBETigg
05-30-2007, 09:51 AM
Last trip, we were at the Polynesian and we let the kids (then 12 and 14) explore the resort on their own. Next trip, they will be 14(DD) and 16(DS). We're staying at the Grand Floridian. The DH and I had planned to have an anniversary dinner at the California Grill while the kids hit the MK on their own. Now, turns out the MK is having a Pirate and Princess party night. We're letting the kids take the monorail to Epcot, but they're staying together and keeping cell phones handy. They know their way around very well. Still, I'm a tad nervous.

JRocker
05-30-2007, 10:01 AM
My kids were 17, 16, and 12 on our last trip down there.
We let em have the run of the parks for 3 or 4 evenings. Our requirements were simple.

Stay together.
check in via cell phone every now and then.
Must have fun.

One night they did something that me and mom would never do.....
They rode Tower of Terror like 6 times back to back:sick:.

GrumpyFan
05-30-2007, 10:27 AM
We let our older two boys (15 & 17) run free at the resort a couple of years ago, and they did fine.

For our upcoming trip, we'll have a 13yo girl, 2-12yo girls, and a 11yo boy that we're considering to let run free, but only in the park that we're in. One of the 12yo girls is my daughter, and knows her way around pretty well. I'm not too worried about the girls as much as I am the youngest boy. Perhaps we'll split up the four of them, and let him go with his two older brothers who are now 16 & 19.

crazypoohbear
05-30-2007, 10:52 AM
This trip I am going solo parent with 3 boys. They will turn 13,17,18 down there.
I would let them go off together.
They are all good boys who who love disney, know their way around and are respectful.
We are meeting 2 sister's 1 nephew, 1 BIL?, and 1 unknown (DS due in June)

Also, for the first three days we are meeting my girlfriend and her son who will be 13 soon.

So they will have to spend time with everyone and go on rides with the 4 year old because they are his hero's.
They won't have a probleme with this.
I'm sure we will strick a good balance between freedom and family:)

satchel01
05-30-2007, 02:08 PM
We just went in May with my almost 13yo son and almost 17yo daughter. They were allowed to sleep in and meet up with us later in the day most of the time and did just fine. Same rules as above...cell phones ON, check in (or i'd call them), and they met up with us once they got to the park usually, be respectful of others was a biggie for me (can't stand to see rude teens on their own).
One day my son stayed back himself and was perfectly fine getting to Epcot on his own, although we had to meet up with him near the entrance because he had no idea how to get to Italy.

Cinderelley
05-30-2007, 10:19 PM
The first time we went, the kids were 15, 14 (turned 15 while we were there), 13 & 11. I let the two older boys go whereever they wanted. The two younger kids could go with them if they stayed in a group. They usually all stayed in the same park we were in. One time they stayed behind at the MK while the rest of us headed back to the resort. Another time, I went to take pictures/video of Wishes, the two younger ones stayed in our room at the Poly and partook of the concierge offerings, and the older two went to Disney Quest. That's the most we have ever split up, but that's because we have a lot of fun together.

septembergirl
05-31-2007, 03:03 AM
We just went in May with my almost 13yo son and almost 17yo daughter. They were allowed to sleep in and meet up with us later in the day

I was particularly wondering about this. I know I am going to want to get started a lot sooner than my DS14 and DS12 and I would prefer not to hang with grumpy teens during Little Ones Magic Hour!
DS14 will easily be able to find his way around but DS12 is another story...Funny thing is, DS14 is a little bit nervy and DS12 is very confident. :shrug:

pianobabe
05-31-2007, 01:33 PM
The last year my son was able to go to WDW, he was 14. He was able to go off on his own in the park we were in. We had given him money for lunch and he had to have is cell phone on. He was able to do the things he wanted to do safely. The only time he would ride the bus by himself would be if another family member was at the destination (motel or park) he was going too. That way, he could go on to the parks on days my husband and I wanted to sleep in and we would be able to meet up with him later. We always made sure we had phone contact.
The only problem we had with him going by himself on different rides/shows, was he got in the "hot seat" on Who Wants to be a Millionaire-Play It and we missed it.

ginny57
05-31-2007, 02:07 PM
When my two older boys were 14 and 11, I let them take the bus to EPCOT around dinner time. They had to stay together and leave when the park closed. I waited at the bus stop and was honestly a little worried. They were fine and quite pleased with themselves.

I remember asking a relative once "how do you know when you can give them more freedom - when to let go?". She said "you can only do your job as a parent to the best of your ability - sometimes yuo just have to take a deep breath and let go".

These little freedoms are tough on us parents but WDW seems like as good a place as any to let them test the waters a bit and prove themselves.

septembergirl
05-31-2007, 03:11 PM
I remember asking a relative once "how do you know when you can give them more freedom - when to let go?". She said "you can only do your job as a parent to the best of your ability - sometimes yuo just have to take a deep breath and let go".

These little freedoms are tough on us parents but WDW seems like as good a place as any to let them test the waters a bit and prove themselves.

Thanks to your relative for the sage advice. Well said.

MsMin
05-31-2007, 05:47 PM
According to our laws here a parent is responsible for the child's behavior regardless of a particular age. You can leave a 16yr old home alone and get in trouble if there are major problems. It's up to the parent to know.
I think WDW is one of the safest places to let a young one learn to explore. Part of parenting is to let them develop the skills as they grow. I would say that if they don't have any major problems when shopping or dining with you then it's time to let them have more responsibilities. If you have to empty your child's pockets before leaving walmart or they are 15 and riding the bikes through the store(basically tearing up the store)then maybe they aren't ready. Unfortunately, many of these parents don't wonder if their child is ready.
Set your rules before hand-- not after-- and make the consequences ones you can keep. Rules like "you will never go again" don't usually work b/c you know and they know it's not going to happen. Limit their money (you are then guaranteed they will return ;)) and set a time to meet you and consequences for tardiness. Remind them that you don't have time to do 1 more ride when you have to meet others across the park in 5 mins.
I think kids are about as safe there as they are in their own backyards. Yes, some kids can find more trouble than others and accidents happen but predators don't usually like places with gates and to pay an admission. Remind them not to go off with strangers and relax and enjoy your trip.

tinkerbell615
05-31-2007, 07:22 PM
I am actually very glad someone asked this question. We are allowing DD (15) to take a friend this year who is 16. My DS (21) and DH are also going on the trip. We have always done everything at WDW as a family so I think DD is excited to maybe be able to explore a little on her own this time. She knows the parks very well and this is her friend's first trip. I just asked her friend's mom this weekend if she had a problem with the two of them maybe going to a park via bus on their own if they decided they wanted to do that. She said she thought it would be okay. I am still suspect they will spend 99% of the time with the rest of us though as we have a great time together.

I will say that I am an overprotective mother and am having quite the hard time letting my DD do more things on her own. DS is 21 and still checks in with me frequently while out because he knows I worry.

Just this week, our local school district tragically lost two young girls (15 & 14) as well as have (3) young boys in the hospital due to an auto accident. I realize that we can not worry about bad things possibly happening while our children are growing up but the longer that I can hold on to my children and keep them close the happier I am.