PDA

View Full Version : love bug season

goofyfan4466
05-29-2007, 08:19 PM
does anybody know what the love bug season is? from when to when? thank you

Seasonscraps
05-29-2007, 08:25 PM
I don't know exact dates or anything but WDW was swarming with love bugs last year during the 3rd week of Sept.

snifflesmcg
05-29-2007, 08:33 PM
Lovebugs are pretty much around now (May) and September. They don't bite, they are just really annoying!

2disneyfans
05-29-2007, 09:09 PM
Okay, I have to ask . . .what is a lovebug?:confused:

baby minnie's mommy
05-29-2007, 10:52 PM
They are harmless oblong black flying bugs with a red spot near the head. They're around a centimeter in length. They usually fly as two bugs stuck together because they are mating, hence the name. In lovebug season they are very abundant and splatter all over your vehicle as you drive. :ack:

I personally would rather have a lovebug around than a fly. Lovebugs don't buzz or keep trying to land on the same spot, as would a fly. They just have to be brushed off from time to time.

roryjulie
05-31-2007, 10:02 AM
the lovebugs were out in swarms over this past weekend. they seem pretty harmless-- but indeed the splatter on the buses is kind of gross.

lauralemm
05-31-2007, 10:47 AM
How do they affect things like sitting by the pool/ on the beach, walking around the resorts, and eating outside?

EmiB
05-31-2007, 10:53 AM
They don't affect it much at all.

They're pretty harmless and easy to swat away.

Seasonscraps
05-31-2007, 11:29 AM
How do they affect things like sitting by the pool/ on the beach, walking around the resorts, and eating outside?

Honestly, I tried to sit by the pool one day it freaked me out after a while. I had to go inside. I know they are harmless but they were everywhere.

pianobabe
05-31-2007, 12:48 PM
We were at WDW last September 21st-October 1st and the Love Bugs were everywhere. (We just happened to be staying at All-Star Movies in The Love Bug section and thought it was funny). What we were told last year, was the Love Bugs were a couple of weeks later than normal. It wasn't that they were pesky, they were just all over the resort. I didn't think they were bad in the parks at all.

grumpyguy
05-31-2007, 12:51 PM
:thumbsup:
I don't know exact dates or anything but WDW was swarming with love bugs last year during the 3rd week of Sept.

i'll be curious o know "the season"..
i'd never seen them before last year.we've always gone to fla in may until last sept and they were a swarmin!!!
gg out:mickey:

Beast_fanatic
05-31-2007, 10:06 PM
May and September are the peak months for love bugs.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
06-01-2007, 10:50 AM

They don't bite or sting at all, so rest assured there. But, they do stick to pretty much everything. Clothes, people, strollers, drinks, etc. We have gone every year in September since 96. We have seen them here and there. Last year was just ridiculous. It was the worst we have ever seen. The CM's were even saying the amount of them was uncommon. The parks were as bad as the resorts the week we were there. Certain parks more then others, Epcot was pretty bad one of the days we were there. We gave up trying to eat outside after the first day. :sick:

Our DD 3, was scared of them. No matter how many times we told her they would not hurt her.

We are going again this September and praying they are not so bad. If they are, we are seriously considering going at another time next year. They were a pretty big nuisance.

lauralemm
06-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Thanks for all the input-- we are still trying to decide about May. I must confess to being the kind of person who would be bothered by the bugs, so... I guess I have to give this some serious thought!

Anyone staying at the Polynesian know how its been this year with the LoveBugs by the pools?

DisneyDoug2
06-01-2007, 12:23 PM
We were there in Mid May and the Love Bug were out in full force!

MissStyles
06-01-2007, 02:11 PM
Thanks for all the input-- we are still trying to decide about May. I must confess to being the kind of person who would be bothered by the bugs, so... I guess I have to give this some serious thought!

Anyone staying at the Polynesian know how its been this year with the LoveBugs by the pools?

I just returned from a stay at WDW and I could not stand the bugs. I am also the type of person who is easily bothered. I was way too afraid to lay out at the pool, they scared me too much!!! I get freaked out by any sort of bug on me. If you really want to be able to enjoy the pool I wouldn't recommend going during love bug season. They were everywhere. It may sound extreme, but if you really can't stand bugs like me you'd understand!!! I even wore long sleeves a few of the days and it was in the high 80s because I was so freaked out. :secret: The one pro thing is they go in at nite....

DisneyLove06
06-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Do you think that the lovebugs will still be there by the end of June?

faline
06-05-2007, 12:56 PM
I just got back yesterday. We did see some around but they certainly weren't overwhelming. Their season is just about over (until September) and they should pretty much be gone by the end of June.