PDA

View Full Version : Older Child Equals Third Adult

JROriole8Fan
05-29-2007, 02:27 PM
We have been visiting WDW several times a year for many years. Our oldest has now reached the age that makes her a third adult. Many times we get connecting rooms at Pop, so it doesn't matter, but if we decide to stay at the AKL or WL, we then have "three adults" and will be charged extra. This rule is maddening, because nothing has changed from what we needed/used before she turned 18. Has anyone ever debated/disputed this with the hotel managers? Do they have any lattitude to waive the additional fee? At places like AKL or WL this can be $30 per day!

Seasonscraps
05-29-2007, 03:11 PM
It doesn't hurt to ask but it's pretty common for hotels to charge extra for a third adult. I guess they figure at 18 this person is a legal adult receiving services & resources from the hotel and they should charge for them.

offwego
05-29-2007, 03:18 PM
I'm not sure they do. With WDW attracting many families (grandmothers/grandfathers are the most frequent triggers) it would be hard to be selective about it.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask.

However it's fantastic that your family all still wants to go WDW as a group. Good for you!

CleveSJM
05-29-2007, 03:44 PM
At least they don't start that when then are 10. That's an "adult" for park admission.

Seems like 2 rooms is the way to go. They may waive it for a 18+ child staying with parents. I think they can interpret the rule for a child, maybe not a niece or other relative. I'd stress the daughter part.

Willowwind
05-29-2007, 04:10 PM
Okay, I don't mean to be rude or mean but your baby isn't a baby any more.

Yes, there is a $25 charge (my experience being for a third adult at the Poly) for a third adult in the room. That's policy, it shouldn't matter who's paying for the room, or what relation they are. I'm 35, if I were to go with my Mom & Dad we would have to pay for a third adult. You should also have to pay for your third adult.

Auntie
05-29-2007, 05:20 PM
They could also just remain 17 for another year. Mine have. Let me tell you 25.00 a night when you have a kid who is 18 this year...come on? They aren't using anything they didn't use the year before. You could easily be adding another $50.00 a night with two kids over 17. No one said they were "babies"..but they aren't using up any more space in the room than they did the year before..or any other amenities that the resort offers than they did the year before. We usually have two rooms, so it hasn't been an issue either. I totally agree that they should be paying adult park admission and adult prices on the dining..but the extra adult charge for the same member of an immediate family? In my opinion...that's just a rip off.

offwego
05-29-2007, 05:25 PM
They could also just remain 17 for another year. Mine have. Let me tell you 25.00 a night when you have a kid who is 18 this year...come on? They aren't using anything they didn't use the year before. You could easily be adding another $50.00 a night with two kids over 17. No one said they were "babies"..but they aren't using up any more space in the room than they did the year before..or any other amenities that the resort offers than they did the year before. We usually have two rooms, so it hasn't been an issue either. I totally agree that they should be paying adult park admission and adult prices on the dining..but the extra adult charge for the same member of an immediate family? In my opinion...that's just a rip off.
Respectfully...this is much the same as having a "child" not turn three for admission purposes isn't it?

It's ok to ask re the policy...but not circumvent it in my personal view point.

WelshieLover
05-29-2007, 05:26 PM
I had no idea they did this. It does not even make any sense to me. My sons are now 17 and 19. I agree that there is no change except for age. A room is a room and what real aditional services are they offering anyone. They still have 2 beds and a daybed to make up and the bathroom is no different, regardless of whether you are related or not. Charging extra for someone over 18 is just another way to make a buck. I would think taking care of a room with infants and toddlers would be more work - messy diapers etc.

Auntie
05-29-2007, 05:38 PM
Respectfully...this is much the same as having a "child" not turn three for admission purposes isn't it?

Not at all. When a child is older than 3 they are also able to meet the height requirements that enable them to use more of the attractions in the parks. That's why they are charged at that point. In the case of the rooms..the 18 year old isn't using any more space than she did the year before. The beds are there..you don't have to bring in another one to accomodate them. They aren't using any more towels than they did the year before. If you physically only have 4 people in the room...and there is room for the same four people to sleep whether they are 17 or 18..it's just a way to pick your pocket for extra dollars. Especially when you are of the same family.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-29-2007, 06:28 PM
Not at all. When a child is older than 3 they are also able to meet the height requirements that enable them to use more of the attractions in the parks. That's why they are charged at that point. In the case of the rooms..the 18 year old isn't using any more space than she did the year before. The beds are there..you don't have to bring in another one to accomodate them. They aren't using any more towels than they did the year before. If you physically only have 4 people in the room...and there is room for the same four people to sleep whether they are 17 or 18..it's just a way to pick your pocket for extra dollars. Especially when you are of the same family.

Just a thought, my son will turn 10 in August which means he is now too old for a child admission for the parks.

He will ride the exact same rides this coming trip as he did last year at age 9.

So, there is no added rides or attractions. No further maintenance since he is a year older. Nothing will change.

However, since he is 10 I have to purchase a more expensive ticket. I may not agree with it but, they have to draw the line somewhere.

Just a thought. ;)

snifflesmcg
05-29-2007, 06:34 PM
I my BF and I should go with another couple, that doesnt give us the right to only have to pay for 2 adult even though we are only using 2 double beds. You are an adult at 18 and that's the final straw. I had my own apartment and paid for my own vacations at 18 and didn't get the "child's" rate.

EtteDMS
05-29-2007, 06:57 PM
One among many reasons we always choose the cabins is because our adult aged son stays for only $5.00 extra per night. Of course, once kids are out of college they can pay the extra themselves at a hotel. Problem is, often when they're 18 or 19, parents tend to be paying the extra, so an extra $25 or $30 per night for the same room adds up and seems like a waste. it is a deterrent. The answer is to stay at hotels that charge little to nothing extra when in fact, you're still a family with three kids. In all the time we've stayed at, say, Hampton Inns or Double Trees, no one has ever asked the age of the kids. Meanwhile, the policy at the cabins is, I believe, quite reasonable.

Hammer
05-29-2007, 07:01 PM
:cop: Moderator Alert!! :cop:

Official WDW policy states that you are to pay for an additional charge commiserate with the level of resort. Any discussion of circumventing these or any other age rules is against Intercot's Terms of Service.

Catzle
05-29-2007, 07:06 PM
I am far off from my kids being 18 but I certainly understand not wanting to pay the extra bucks. A lot of kids who are 18 are in their senior year of high school, still needing mom and dad to provide for them. I believe that once they are on their own and out of school than it would be their responsiblity to pay the extra but not when they are still in high school or early college. I would think 21 would be a better cutoff for kids who live their mom and dad and are still in school.

vamaggie
05-29-2007, 08:11 PM
Disney probably wouldn't do it but how about a "family rate"? Maybe not $25-$30 more a night but a flat rate (slightly higher but not so much) for families that have kids 16-21 and still fall w/in the occupancy limits? They could also give "one free 18-21" per room as long as they are related (like they let a <3 stay in the room) and don't go over the occupancy limits.LIke I said they probably won't do it but it would be nive to give families that still like to come to WDW together a bit of a break.

TammiMcMan
05-29-2007, 10:30 PM
In the hotel industry, I've actually seen a lot of disclaimers that state "children under 18 stay free with an accompanying adult". So, you could look at it the other way and consider that hotels have been giving you a break for the past 17 years ;). Disney is simply following standard hotel policies. 18 is the legal age for "adulthood", so it makes sense that this is the age that's been chosen by the industry and not 21. It's always a bummer when the kids can no longer fly as a lap child, or get into the parks for free, but those are the rules. Just because we don't like it, I don't think that justifies us lying and keeping them a year younger. Go ahead and ask at check-in. I can tell you from experience with our now 21 year old who loves to still come on family vacations, we've always told the truth about her age and they've never once charged us extra for her.

Not sure if liability comes into play with the age as well. Can someone under 18 enter into a lawsuit against a resort?

Tinkerfreak
05-30-2007, 11:08 AM
We took our niece with us to the BC in Dec. and were not charged any extra for her and she was 19.

tyandskyesmom
05-30-2007, 11:56 AM
Not at all. When a child is older than 3 they are also able to meet the height requirements that enable them to use more of the attractions in the parks. That's why they are charged at that point.

That is simply as untrue as when a child turns 10 he eats more to justify the jump to aan adult on the dining plan or the same issue in passes (as Sean Riley Taylor's Mom said) or the point trying to be made in this post.

Skye is tiny...at 3 (just this past April) she only weighs 25 pounds and her height has not changed too much...On our trip in July she will be charges at our planned meals (Boma and 1900 Park Fare) even though she will not eat any more than she did when we were there in December 2006. If we were going to the parks she would need a ticket...and believe me I have been measuring her and she is not yet quite to the height that allows her to ride that next level of rides. But, we will pay the cost for the meals and for the tickets if and when the time comes because that is the policy.

Disney (or any company) cannot make exceptions pubicly because there is too much liability there. What if you and I check in at the same time with the same CM and your 18 year old is not charged as an extra adult but mine is? Is that fair? This could cause all kinds of issues for Disney...so policy needs to be policy and it needs to be followed.

Marker
05-30-2007, 12:10 PM
If I am understanding this discussion correctly, the main complaint is that 18-20 year olds are not being treated like children. Is that really what I'm hearing? Hard to believe that's even an discussion at all. I wonder where else in the world this could be considered a problem. More typically, the issue is that young people aren't being treated as ADULTS.

Is it REALLY a surprise that 18 year olds are considered an adult?

TheRustyScupper
05-30-2007, 03:49 PM
1) Disney charges extra for the 3rd adult in a room.
2) Your child has just reached adulthood
3) Thus, you pay the extra fee.
4) You, certainly do not have to pay this fee.
5) Your option is to stay off-site.

CleveSJM
05-30-2007, 04:03 PM
I think we all understand the policy. I guess by defining the policy you agree with it.

I think the OP was questioning the fairness of the policy.

I don't agree with the policy and think it should change slightly.

For your child (only YOUR child) you should have until they are not a full time student, just like the insurance policies. For the extra $, validating school ID's is not too much to ask.

They are still dependents. They are not adults.

Auntie
05-30-2007, 04:23 PM
I agree...there is no harm in discussing the fairness of the policy..or whether one feels it's unjust. I know we have a seasonal site in a camping resort. The resort has many cottage type homes that are rented the same way hotel rooms are rented. They only charge for additional adults out of the immediate family. Meaning..they don't want the units loaded up with a bunch of friends spliting the cost. Your "adult" child is still permitted free of charge..as long as there is sufficient bedding in the units.
This business of "they are adults and should pay there own way"...give me a break. I don't recall my parents asking me for money once I was 18 to go on a family vacation. I know I had my own spending money..but they weren't charging me for the privilege of going on a family vacation. I think that's easy to say when your kids are 5 or 10. When you have an 18 year college student working their way through school...you still want to do what you can to make it so that they can enjoy family time. I'm thrilled they want to come. Sorry, but I don't have the "**** it up and have them pay attitude". If I have to pay..then so be it. Not the end of the world either way. However it doesn't mean I have to like it or agree with it. Also..how about a standard amount for the "additional" adult. This business of a $5.00 extra adult fee at the cabins...(which are deluxe by rate)...and a $10.00 fee for the moderates..and a $25.00 fee for the Deluxe resorts...THAT is all about Disney charging more simply because they can.
That being said..I have a 26 year old son..and we vacationed in Disney at the WL last week. He had his own room... which he paid for. His own dining plan, and park pass. He lives OUT OF THE HOME... on his own. He has a full time profession. I think that's the difference. He wasn't staying in our room with his mom and dad. He also had either his brother or sister staying in with him most nights..I offered to split the cost of the room with him being that one of "the kids" were usually in with him and he wouldn't hear of it. Said it was his pleasure to be able to give back after all the family vacations we'd taken him on. :mickey:

kakn7294
05-30-2007, 04:48 PM
I guess I just accepted the fact that at 18, my DD's will be considered adults for everything else in life (except drinking age) so it doesn't bother me. I think every other hotel we have ever stayed at has charged a fee for more than 2 adult in a room - and that age was at 18 as well. It would be too difficult to distinguish between who still lives with Mom and Dad and who doesn't and then what age do you make that cutoff? My friend at work lived with her parents until their recent passings - she's in her 50's but still lived "at home" in her parents house. If they feel the need to charge me the extra fee, I'll just pay it and be glad my DD's still want to spend time with me on vacation.

TammiMcMan
05-30-2007, 05:58 PM
I agree...there is no harm in discussing the fairness of the policy..or whether one feels it's unjust.No there isn't any harm in discussing the fairness of the hotel industry, however it goes against INTERCOTS TOS when it's discussed that children have remained 17 "again" to bypass the policy or discussing other ways to get around it.

I don't recall my parents asking me for money once I was 18 to go on a family vacation.Whether we drove or flew, I paid my way in either gas money or my own airfare. Of course, we had 6 kids in our family and in addition to school, I was also working and paying room & board. It wasn't a shock to me, my parents just put the facts out there. If I wanted to go, I had to contribute. There was plenty of time to save up. I have my own adult daughter now and if I'm inviting her to come, I pay the fee's and the airfare. She usually ends up with more spending money than me :D.

For your child (only YOUR child) you should have until they are not a full time student, just like the insurance policies. For the extra $, validating school ID's is not too much to ask. They are still dependents. They are not adults.This is not a bad idea, but I know many parents who are not paying for their kids college and many kids who attend part time and still make a pretty good living. In addition to the school ID, would the parents need to bring cancelled tuition checks to prove that they are still dependents? Just too many gray areas, but it's a good thought.

Auntie
05-30-2007, 07:09 PM
Oh Lord..the Intercot TOS...please. I saw it mentioned the first time. If you want to delete the mentioned offense..then do so.

TammiMcMan
05-30-2007, 07:27 PM
I'm sorry you feel that way about the sites terms of service. In my opinion, the discussion was starting to heat up again and that was just a reminder of what was acceptable and what wasn't. Healthy debate is fine and beneficial, we just need to keep it confined to just that.

Auntie
05-30-2007, 07:46 PM
I don't recall that I or anyone mentioned how to violate or skirt around Disney policy after your first mention that it was agains the TOS. It seemed to me that the discussion was about what age one deemed appropriate to charge for an additional adult occupying a room.
Which I personally feel that if Disney is going to charge for an additional fee for an adult child occupying a room with their parents, then it should be a uniform fee across the board...not a different fee depending which resort you are staying at. Again..just my opinion.

Marker
05-30-2007, 07:49 PM
I'm sorry you feel that way about the sites terms of service. In my opinion, the discussion was starting to heat up again and that was just a reminder of what was acceptable and what wasn't. Healthy debate is fine and beneficial, we just need to keep it confined to just that.

I for one say thank you for mentioning it. I believe the demeaner of this entire board has gotten more hostile, argumentative, and critical. I appreciate the reigns being pulled in occasionally.

Now then.... so where do you draw the line. What about an 18 year old who is living on his own but still came along on vacation? What about 25 year old still living at home, and is still a dependant? There are just too many scenarios, and how would you enforce it? I certainly wouldn't want to wait in line while the dependancy of everyone is check.

And I don't understand the contention that it's not fair. It's well know policy, it's published, and fairly standard. So what's not "fair"? They're not cheating anyone, or slipping something by. They are running a business, and setting policy that they feel best serves that.

TammiMcMan
05-30-2007, 07:57 PM
Nope it wasn't mentioned, but as with other topics that are close to some peoples hearts, it's easy to get caught up in the debate and offer "alternatives". As I mentioned in my previous post, it was simply a reminder to those who wanted to continue on with the discussion.

It's a good question as to why there are different levels of additional fees and I'm pretty sure that if you stay DVC, there is no fee tacked on. Perhaps it should be uniform or maybe they could have a good student policy for those kids who are in college maintaining good grades (heck in some situations 18 year olds are seniors in high school). Cleve mentioned a valid college ID and maybe a copy of grades. I was thinking that there would probably be too many gray areas though. Like those parents who don't pay their kids tuition, or parents who do pay, but their kids are 21 and in grad school. At some point an age has to be picked though and if it's your child joining you on a family vacation, I don't think any age is going to be acceptable for everyone.

hubbyofadisneyholic
05-30-2007, 09:43 PM
I don't think you could scam the system regarding your children's ages for long.
When I made our ressies for our trip last January the CM at Central Reservations made the observation that "oh I see Sarah is 17 now, next year you will have to pay extra for her". So, either this lady was a mind reader or they do keep track of ages in the computer system.

dolewhiplovers
05-30-2007, 10:09 PM
Here is another option. We are staying in a family suite at All Star Music in Sept. There is no extra charge for more than 2 adults. The rate is for 6 people regardless of their age. Maybe this would work out to be less expensive for you. We have 2 college children flying down for the week-end to go to the parks with us and we just have to let the front desk know they are in the room. I already verified this when I made the reservations. There is no additional charge. Plus the room has 2 full bathrooms and a kitchenette. There are four of us for the rest of the time.

TammiMcMan
05-30-2007, 10:13 PM
When I made our ressies for our trip last January the CM at Central Reservations made the observation that "oh I see Sarah is 17 now, next year you will have to pay extra for her".I know they track things like age, but that sort of strikes me as an odd thing to say. Especially since you don't have to pay extra in all situations. Weird.

hubbyofadisneyholic
05-30-2007, 11:50 PM
I know they track things like age, but that sort of strikes me as an odd thing to say. Especially since you don't have to pay extra in all situations. Weird.

I didn't think too much of it at the time and just figured that was her attempt at being chatty while waiting for the computer (it seems like they are always waiting for it) but when I told my wife about it we thought it was kind of spooky.
The amount of info they store seems pretty extensive...:paranoid:

CleveSJM
05-31-2007, 09:32 AM
In response to a couple of questions concerning how difficult it would be to administer a policy of allowing your child to stay in the room if they were over 18 but still in school.

The school ID is easy enough to check at check-in. Not perfect but pretty good. And it is definitely not too much to ask for the resort to do. They are asking $30/day and can do some extra work for the money.

Also, I know Disney asked for my kids birthdays for my '04 trip so they know my oldest will be 18 in 2009 (oh man am I old!) and they can easily ask for $30/day or a student id. One or the other and I'm fine with it.

Mickey'sGirl
05-31-2007, 09:50 AM
I think the policy is fair. Limits have to be set, and 18 is not such an arbitrary age in my opinion....It is the age of majority...adulthood. I don't think it should matter if the 18 year old lives at home, is in school or out on his/her own. It's a published rule and if it becomes an issue of expense for the travelling family, then perhaps other resorts or lodging options should be considered. There are always choices. :thumbsup:

CleveSJM
05-31-2007, 09:57 AM
Good discussion! I guess I'm not saying it's totally unfair, just could be improved a little.

A little off topic, but would it make a difference if the 18+ year old child was developmentally or physically disabled? :confused:

(I'm keeping this to a direct child of the parent staying in the room. I agree all other 18+ year olds should pay)

Also, I would always go for two rooms at a Value so, for me, this is really moot (but interesting!).

Wayne
05-31-2007, 05:42 PM

To which I would add:
6) Where you will STILL pay the extra charges because IT IS THE INDUSTRY STANDARD.

TammiMcMan
05-31-2007, 06:08 PM
A little off topic, but would it make a difference if the 18+ year old child was developmentally or physically disabled? :confused: It might, if the charge covers the liability issue I asked about earlier. My guess is that the CM's do have some wiggle room in regards to the fee. We've travelled with our daughter a number of times since she turned 18 and they haven't charged us yet.

tundramom
05-31-2007, 07:52 PM
It's a good question as to why there are different levels of additional fees and I'm pretty sure that if you stay DVC, there is no fee tacked on.

To my knowledge there is no additional fee at DVC resorts. We will be testing this out in Oct. But, when I made the ressie I made it very clear that our guests were adults and there was no mention of additional fees. So this may be an option...I personally hope this to be true because my DD (soon to be 12) has informed us that she will be going to WDW with us FOREVER:D

USCTinkerbell
06-01-2007, 12:36 PM

I might be starting a storm here and I'm sorry if I do but my daughter turned 3 2 weeks before we went to WDW but we booked the trip almost 6 months earlier. While she got into the park for free, she was still not tall enough to ride most rides. Even our trip in Sept worries me because she will barely make the height requirements for the majority of the rides except for the teacup, and rides in that area.
We also paid for all of her meals. Do I feel guilty for 2 weeks? Not really, trust me...we used the money saved inside the parks buying souveneirs we would have normally never bought.

dtootsie42
06-01-2007, 01:34 PM

These are my feelings exactly. We are a family of five and go to Disney every other year. This year when we go our daughters will be the following ages 19, 18 and 16. We are just excited to be going and we know several people who would love the chance to go and can't afford to go. We pay extra for the adults in our family and feel fortunate that we can afford to do something that we love to do as a family!!!!

tinkerbell04
06-01-2007, 01:51 PM
DVC members are not charged an additional amount for extra adults. In fact, a lot of the DVC accomodations are designed for more then 4 people. The grand villa is designed for 12 people. We have stayed in various villas with 4-10 people and have never been charged more. They have all been registered guests, as adults with the dining plan. :mickey:

Mickey'sGirl
06-01-2007, 01:57 PM
Lying is lying no matter how it is rationalized.

If your child is 18, the rule is that a sur-charge may be applied in a regular resort room.

If your child is 3, the rule is that admission is required.

I am sure that many of us would view these "unfair" policies differently if the tables were turned, and a large corporation was not involved.

Aurora
06-01-2007, 06:18 PM
Yes, it is the industry standard to charge for "extra" adults in a room, but what I don't understand is how hotels (including Disney's) can advertise that a room sleeps four adults, but charge extra for more than two. It just seems like a bait and switch deal to me.

TammiMcMan
06-01-2007, 10:12 PM
Yes, it is the industry standard to charge for "extra" adults in a room, but what I don't understand is how hotels (including Disney's) can advertise that a room sleeps four adults, but charge extra for more than two. It just seems like a bait and switch deal to me.Actually, if you look on the Disney World website, it states "maximum 4 guests" for the rooms and there's and asterisk beside the room rates. If you scroll down, it says Additional adult charges apply if more than 2 adults in room. I'm not seeing anything in their literature which says the rooms accomodate 4 "adults". Have you seen it on fan sites, or is it somewhere on the Disney site and I'm just not finding it?

Marker
06-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Yes, it is the industry standard to charge for "extra" adults in a room, but what I don't understand is how hotels (including Disney's) can advertise that a room sleeps four adults, but charge extra for more than two. It just seems like a bait and switch deal to me.

2 beds, each bed can hold 2 people - 2 * 2 = 4.

Whereas, room rates advertised are typically for 2 adults, with additional fee for additional adults.

How many the room will hold, and how they charge are 2 different things.

Similar to the 50 lb limit for baggage (on Southwest). The bag my hold more than 50 lbs worth of stuff, but if weighs over 50, you are charged more....... Likewise, a room may hold more that 2 people, but if there are more than 2 you are charged more.

TheDuckRocks
06-07-2007, 09:48 AM
Being one of the older Intercotees ( is that a word?) I can remember when the hotel room standard pricing was based on a single guest, a second person being about an additional $5 per night and $10 per night charged for any other guests. In addition to this if you were a family of 5 like we were you also had to pay extra for a roll-away bed.
When the first hotels went "family friendly" we were thrilled, I have always felt that the no charge for Kids 17 and under as a wonderful gift we were given to allow us to travel more with the kids as they were growing up.
Now, being the trouble maker I can be.....Disney is one of the very few hotels that does not give any discount to senior citizens.:thedolls: There is also no break on ticket prices that other amusement parks give. Something to think about we most all get old someday.

Mickey91
06-07-2007, 10:48 AM
Okay, I don't mean to be rude or mean but your baby isn't a baby any more.

Yes, there is a $25 charge (my experience being for a third adult at the Poly) for a third adult in the room. That's policy, it shouldn't matter who's paying for the room, or what relation they are. I'm 35, if I were to go with my Mom & Dad we would have to pay for a third adult. You should also have to pay for your third adult.

You may not have meant it to be rude, but it was.

You will have to to pay for your 18 year old. I cannot see Disney budging on that. I agree that it is a rip off. I even think that 4 adults should be able to stay in a 4 person room without being charged extra. I know it is standard policy everywhere, but that doesn't make it right. They should be happy to have the extra adults to eat more food and spend more on adult type purchases. Instead, they make it harder for aging families to enjoy the magic.

TammiMcMan
06-07-2007, 11:23 AM
I even think that 4 adults should be able to stay in a 4 person room without being charged extra. I know it is standard policy everywhere, but that doesn't make it right.Let's face it, the charge is not going away unless the entire hotel industry has a sudden change of heart. Sure, Disney could make it magically disappear by absorbing it into an increased room rate, but then everyones paying for it, regardless of occupancy and ages. At least if you know it's there, then it's up to you whether or not staying on-site with your adult children is worth the extra fee. You can choose a value suite, cabin, villa, shop around to find off site locations that don't charge extra or look into a vacation home rental.

irish1967
06-07-2007, 11:45 AM
My thought is that somewhere along the line it does start to make a difference from a profit point of view...

As I have gotten older I have started to take longer showers

I use more than one towel to dry off

I am more likely to stay up later with the lights on and watch tv

I make the elevators and escalators work harder to get me where I want to go

I cause more wear and tear on the carpeting and the furniture

I could keep going on but you get the picture...

Now, this didn't magically happen at 12:01 a.m. the day I turned 18, but it did happen.

Somewhere along the line - industry analysts determined that by charing extra for adults (defined legally I believe as 18) they cover the extra expenses associated with the extra person.

IMHO the extra charge is better than the alternative (place $1.00 in the machine for a 10minute shower - hot water $.25 extra) :mickey:

disneycouple2004
06-08-2007, 08:56 AM
This comes from DVC member services :
Thank you for contacting Members Services.

You may have up to a total of 5 guests and a child under the age of 3 in
a one bedroom vacation home. We do not supply extra bedding, however
there is no charge for the extra person.

Please advise the names of all guests in your Vacation Home, this will
expedite you check in.

TammiMcMan
06-08-2007, 09:04 AM
This comes from DVC member services :
Thank you for contacting Members Services.

You may have up to a total of 5 guests and a child under the age of 3 in
a one bedroom vacation home. We do not supply extra bedding, however
there is no charge for the extra person.There's no charge for the extra adults in the room any way you book a DVC unit (member services or Disney reservations). There is a limit though of 4 guests, unless you a are a DVC member. Just wanted to clarify that.

r4kids
06-10-2007, 01:03 PM

I completely agree. You have a hotel that holds 4 why charge the extra fee for more than 2. If that is the policy do you get a discount for less than 2, no. I also feel like people should be more upset by considering a 10 year old an "adult" this one makes me more than upset. PLEASE for godness sake have a junior charge! Do they want people to return? It's hard enough to save now but DD (12) and next year DS (9) will both be adult tickets and meal prices. DD(12) already is but you catch my meaning. Are we not suppose allow DD's (6) and (4) to enjoy the same experiences as their older siblings because it's so much more expensive. Sorry just irritates me. Anyway we'll be returning in Sept. Before we have another "adult".