PDA

View Full Version : Are we Out of Luck?

ojeilatan
05-29-2007, 11:16 AM
Seeing as it's my family's first trip to WDW, we were unaware of some things....particulary about making dinner reservations well in adavance of our trip. :( We fly out in three days, on the 1st and are staying until the ninth.

After reading about how far in advance restaurants can be booked up, I have a few questions for those of you more experienced than me. We figure that we will have lots of trouble getting into some of the more popular restaurants, and are most likely SOL in that area.

- If you can manage to get into the restuarants on a wait time, how long is the average wait?

-Are there some places to eat that are easier to get into without a reservation that you would reccomend?

-If we were to call today, what are our chances at getting a reservation?

Just to add a ittle info, we are a famiy that isn't very picky, enjoys almost anything, and does not mind eating early or late. :)

Thank you so much for your help!:mickey:

illini
05-29-2007, 11:25 AM
I've never tried walking up, so I can't help on the wait time. I would guess at least an hour wait at most places if they'll seat you at all. I think it will get harder to find places as your stay progresses.

Some of the WS restaurants are easier to get into, and some are the hardest tickets at WDW. Marrakesh is easier, but still not easy.

I'd call *right now*. Have a list of some places you want to try, and take what you can find. You can always cancel them later. If you get a good CM on the phone, they'll help you out a lot, too. Make sure they know that you didn't realize about ADRs and they may be more sympathetic and thus more willing to help you. :mickey:

Ian
05-29-2007, 11:26 AM
I wouldn't worry quite so much ... it's probably not as hopeless as you think ...

- If you can manage to get into the restuarants on a wait time, how long is the average wait?It really depends. I've done walk-ups at restaurants that WDW Dine told me were full and gotten seated immediately. Other times I've had to wait 45 minutes to an hour. But the nice thing about WDW is that you can always wander around and do some things while you wait for your table.

-Are there some places to eat that are easier to get into without a reservation that you would reccomend?I would say yes. The most popular places are Alfredo's in Epcot's Italy, Chefs De France in (surprise, surprise) Epcot's France, Coral Reef (at the Living Seas pavilion in Epcot), Teppanyaki Dining (at Japan in Epcot), California Grill (at the Contemporary), and a few others. But you might have luck if you try China (Nine Dragons), or Canada (Le Cellier). I can get in there at times. You may have luck eating at some of the resort restaurants too. They fill up a little more slowly than the theme park restaurants. Exceptions being like Jiko at Citrico's and places like that.

-If we were to call today, what are our chances at getting a reservation?If you're flexible with your times and dates, I would say they're excellent. It's busy around this time but not crazy busy and there's no free dining, so I think you'll be able to get most of what you want. You may have to go at some less-than-ideal times, but I still think you'll be okay.

MOJoe
05-29-2007, 11:48 AM
Don't wait and take a chance on getting seated without a reservation. Call now and get the best seating times you can. Your situation may be different, but i would rather know that i have a reservation at a certain place and time, than just taking my chances. Crowds are beginning to pick up now that schools are letting out. So the odds of getting table service are dwindling by the day. Call now!

Dawneeeey
05-29-2007, 11:52 AM
Hi!

I would call ASAP, you may not be able to get the times of day you prefer (dinnertime, lunchtime) but you may be able to get off times, earlier than dinner, or really late. Some restaurants may be just booked solid, and don't accept walkups.

The other thing to do is make as many ADRs as you can but when you get to the park, go to Guest Services and see if you can move things around. Castmembers there have been extremely helpful to me in the past when Le Cellier was completely booked, they offered other suggestions, even places I hadn't thought of.

You should be ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I promise. :)

Eat, drink and be with Mickey!!! :mickey:

Disneyatic
05-29-2007, 11:53 AM
Last year was our first trip to WDW and I was fortunate to get an awesome CM who helped me through the ADR process.
Do you have an idea of what parks you are going to be at which days?
If so, I would also write down the places you would like to eat and then call 1-800-wdw-dine and talk with the CM to see what is available on the days you are in certain parks.
Being flexible on your times will really help and hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised!

I would try to make at least a few ADR's and not leave everything to the luck of walk ups when you get there.

ojeilatan
05-29-2007, 01:15 PM
Thank you so much everyone, you've been extremely helpful! :grouphug: We will be sitting down tonight and calling in to see what is available. We may try a few walk ups for lunch, but we will see what we can get for dinner. And we do have an idea of where we will be, so that should help loads. Thank you so much again! If anyone else has any more suggestions, they would be greaty appreciated :D

tinkerbell04
05-29-2007, 01:28 PM
Keep us posted on how you make out. Good luck!

dtootsie42
05-29-2007, 01:29 PM
Do you have an idea of what parks you are going to be at which days?
If so, I would also write down the places you would like to eat and then call 1-800-wdw-dine and talk with the CM to see what is available on the days you are in certain parks.
Being flexible on your times will really help and hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised!

I would try to make at least a few ADR's and not leave everything to the luck of walk ups when you get there.

Excellent advice. We always have a general idea on where we are going to be each day and base our meals around that park. I would call and see what you can get, try to be flexible and I'm hoping you'll get some of the places you want. If Dinners don't work try lunch and then have a snacky dinner.

ojeilatan
05-29-2007, 01:47 PM
Keep us posted on how you make out. Good luck!

Thanks and will do! :thumbsup: I'll have a pre-trip report up a few days before we leave!

anneb
05-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Here are some places I'd bet you are likely to still get in, even as walk-ups, especially if you are willing to eat early:
Marrakesh in Epcot
The sit-down Chinese Restaurant in Epcot
Grand Floridian Cafe at the GF
Citricos at the GF
Spoodles at the Boardwalk
Either Gulliver's Grill or the new Italian Restaurant at the Swan
The Dolphin Fountain at the Dolphin (no reservations).
Bistro de Paris at Epcot (excellent, but not really suitable for kids).
Some of these - especially the Bistro de Paris, Citricos, and Spoodles, are really very good restaurants that have never been full when I've eaten there early (such as 5:30 to 6:00 or so). Marrakesh is also a great experience - very pretty, very unusual, with belly dancers and musicians - and not bad food. Because it's cuisine is less familiar to most Americans, it can usually take last-minute or walk-up diners.
I also encourage you to go ahead and call. I once snagged a table for two at the California Grill just a couple of days in advance!

ojeilatan
05-29-2007, 02:45 PM
thanks anneb! I'm saving this list, so that if we are closer to these restaurants when we have a reservation elsewhere, we could maybe cancel at do a walk-up at some of these. These also sound like good places to try for lunch! thanks again!

vamaggie
05-29-2007, 02:45 PM
Even if you don't get ADRs for a lot of table service meals, there are quite a lot of good counter service meal choices. Last time we went we did a lot of CS meals but treated them more like TS in that we took our time, relaxed and people watched while we ate. We did this both at the parks and at the resorts and it was great. Good luck and enjoy your first time at WDW!!!

merlinmagic4
05-29-2007, 03:02 PM
I was going to say what vamaggie said! There will be quite a few counter service restaurants at each park so you will be able to eat if the table service spots are booked. We like Columbia Harbor House in MK a lot and actually have chosen that over a table service. If you go there, sit upstairs where it may be quieter. I would take a look at your park days, look at the table service restaurants that you might enjoy, and call tonight to see if you can get an ADR. Good luck!!

wendy*darling
05-29-2007, 06:32 PM
I am assuming you are not doing the Disney Dining Plan... am I right?
I think you will be fine. I'd try for ADR's at your first choices- for lunch or dinner. Lunch is often easier- and cheaper! :thumbsup:
Also consider character breakfasts- some of them are not too hard to get into last minute.

If you are striking out at the places you want to eat- go for counter service. There is a lot of excellent counter service food to be found in the parks. You will not starve! In the World Showcase- most of the countries have a CS place. Yakitori House in Japan and the Fish & Chips stand in the UK are our favorites. Also in Epcot, the Land Pavilion has an excellent CS place downstairs.
If you are not on the Dining Plan, there's no harm in eating mostly counter service meals. You will still have a filling and enjoyable experience.

I look forward to reading your trip reports from your very first trip to WDW!

cgriff
05-29-2007, 06:33 PM
Would you happen to be staying at a concierge-level resort? I've heard of the concierge staff making some remarkable ADR magic happen, even this late in the game...

Good luck. I bet it will work out pleasantly for you, and you'll have some teriffic dining! :eat:

cgriff

BronxTigger
05-29-2007, 06:43 PM
I'm a little late coming to this thread, but I wanted to add my 2 cents anyways.

Last year, we decided to go to WDW last minute (FOUR days before our departure date, we booked the plane tickets and hotel). I called to make some ADRs (in August) and did not have much trouble.

Are you on the dining plan? If not, you don't need to eat a TS meal every day. If you are on the DDP, you will definitely want to use those TS credits.

Call now, but also keep calling each day, as people get caught up at WDW and change plans (we canceled 2 of our 4 ADRs on last year's trip) and you may be able to get some same-day ADRs.

Good luck!

Marilyn Michetti
05-29-2007, 07:23 PM
Ya know? Lots of times, it's just being at the right podium at the right time. We've walked up in Dec. and were seated within minutes, but this is June????

Call, and see what you can get. I've got my fingers crossed for you. Whatever happens, you'll find something wonderful to enjoy at a walk-up or resort if you miss a premier restaurant.:thumbsup:

disneygirlie11
05-29-2007, 07:41 PM
Last year we changed our plans and went to MGM instead. Right when we got to the park we actually went to the service center to see about mailing a letter. When we were there a CM told us that he could check and see if there were any openings at any of the restaurants. We got into 50's Primetime Cafe at dinner with no problem.

disneymom2000
05-29-2007, 10:17 PM
That is something a lot of people don't know about. If you don't get in somewhere you might like to try, as soon as you get to the park in the morning go to the customer service desk and check the listing. Sometimes people are nice enough to actually call and cancel a reservation in advance if they decide not to hit the park they planned on that day. Then something may open. There are usually several chances to try and get in somewhere you will like. Good Luck and have fun.:mickey:

wdwnomad
05-29-2007, 10:36 PM
I'd like to add if at first you don't get what you want then don't be afraid to call back multiple times and, as everyone says, try while down there. If you really want to eat someplace but are getting shut out...keep trying. Book something in the meantime but keep trying for what you want. Last year, I was finally able to get an ADR for LeCellier after calling everyday. You never know when you are going to be able to snag someones cancellation.

Genie1953
05-29-2007, 11:29 PM
When we went to Disneyworld in Sept/Oct 05 (during a free dining plan promotion) we did a very dumb thing. I had been advised by several persons here on the Intercot boards to make ADR's but we were so engrossed in planning the first stop of our trip to see our daughter, son in law, and grandchildren in Savannah Georgia that we completely forgot to make our ADR's. I had them planned out completely, but just forgot to make them until we had left our daughter's house in Savannah Georgia and were nearly there at Disney World. Because of this we missed getting in at the Hollywood and Vine and also the Whispering Canyon Cafe.

The first day we got in so early that we decided to go to MGM on the spur of the moment that evening. There were no absolutely no Table Service meals to be had anywhere at MGM. All were booked up so we ate counter service at Rosies (I think that was the name of it).

We ate several meals at Boatwrights (our hotel restaurant-Port Orleans Riverside) and the food was excellent. One day for a late lunch/early dinner we managed to get in at Garden Grill for Character dining - no ADR, but we showed up at the counter at 9:30am and were told to come back at 4:30pm and they would see what they could do. We went back at 3:30 and the same hostess then took our name, but promised us nothing and told us to come back at 4:30. When we came back at 4:25 we only waited maybe 10 minutes and were quickly seated - It pays to keep checking back in. They were turning other people away at 4:30. The food was great, too. Another day we were able to make reservations for Liberty Tree Tavern a day prior without any problems. The food was excellent there also.

One more tip...watch your restaurant pagers as if they were gold. We were at Boatwrights one evening and observed a lady who was quite distraught. Evidently her husband laid the pager down on a table (right next to the chair he was sitting in) while they were watching TV while waiting to be seated. Someone slipped over and picked up the pager and then when the pager lit up the thief and his/her family were seated immediately. It was so busy the hostess did not remember who it was that brought the pager to the desk so the poor woman and her family had to wait a bit longer but staff were nice enough to work them in without a reservation.

TiggerRPh
05-30-2007, 12:07 AM
I agree...keep calling everyday and see if anything frees up. Also, check with each restaurant early in the morning and see if they can get you in or if there is a possibility of a walk up.

Places you probably have no chance getting into...

Cinderella's Royal Table
Le Cellier
50's Prime Time

Even with those, it won't hurt to ask.