PDA

View Full Version : We got a bunny!

Katzateer
05-29-2007, 07:06 AM
:bunny:
He is a little mini lop ear gray boy.

Anyone have any bunny hints to share? I know nothing about raising a rabbit (we did get a book to read).

Thanks!

kakn7294
05-29-2007, 08:47 AM
Sorry, this is going to be long! Boy bunnies are alot like un-neutered male cats - they sometimes spray urine to mark their territory and they sometimes exhibit aggressive male behaviors. However, if you can find a vet who is experienced and can afford the cost, you can have male rabbits neutered but they require special anesthesia. Otherwise, they don't require shots or vet visits unless ill. Rabbits are easily litter-trained, just place the litter box in the corner of the pen where he potties most frequently - I recommend a non-clumping pine or recycled paper litter as this is better for their digestive system if eaten - clumping and clay litters can cause serious and fatal digestive problems. Watch for chewing of furniture and cords if he's allowed to roam free indoors. Gently handle him as much as he'll tolerate, especially if he's a baby and he'll be easier to handle when he's older, especially for things like trimming his nails which you will need to do. Our bunny loves toys - he even has his own little Terrible Towel that he has learned to wave for Steeler games. They are very smart and can be somewhat trained. Make sure he can't escape his cage - they have been known to figure out how to get out - Snowball knows but he's not strong enough to open the door. Snowball also likes to redecorate his cage - we had to fasten down the litterbox and food and water bowls or the contents wound up everywhere. Cages with solid bottoms are better on their little paws - Snowball's cage has a solid plastic bottom that we lined with a weatherproof doormat to provide traction on the floor. I actually don't like cedar or pine chips to line the cage - they are messy and can upset their digestive system if eaten in large quantities. If you play with him outside, make sure he's either in an escape proof run -they can wiggle through the tiniest holes - or on a harness and leash but he won't take a walk with you like a dog. Don't pick him up by the ears - put one hand under his belly and the other hand under his bottom / back legs. If you have kids, make sure they understand he's fragile - they are tougher than they look but still easily injured. They love to be part of the family if treated as such from a young age - some think they are people - I'm sure Snowball does. If you have any other questions, please PM me. Rabbits are great pets if they are treated right!

Katzateer
05-29-2007, 06:11 PM
Thanks for all the great tips!!:thumbsup:

PirateLover
05-29-2007, 06:24 PM
Have fun with your new bunny! I still miss my bunny, Bandit. She lived 5 years and then started having seizures :(

I second Kathy's warning about your furniture and electric cords. We had to Bandit-proof our house. Bunnies must have a sixth sense when it comes to chewing things you don't want them to chew, lol.

She did bite me once or twice, but I think it was just because she was scared. I still loved her. When she was a baby she used to run figure 8s around my legs all the time. I miss her...

Jasper
05-29-2007, 06:41 PM
Sorry, this is going to be long! Boy bunnies are alot like un-neutered male cats - they sometimes spray urine to mark their territory and they sometimes exhibit aggressive male behaviors. However, if you can find a vet who is experienced and can afford the cost, you can have male rabbits neutered but they require special anesthesia. Otherwise, they don't require shots or vet visits unless ill. Rabbits are easily litter-trained, just place the litter box in the corner of the pen where he potties most frequently - I recommend a non-clumping pine or recycled paper litter as this is better for their digestive system if eaten - clumping and clay litters can cause serious and fatal digestive problems. Watch for chewing of furniture and cords if he's allowed to roam free indoors. Gently handle him as much as he'll tolerate, especially if he's a baby and he'll be easier to handle when he's older, especially for things like trimming his nails which you will need to do. Our bunny loves toys - he even has his own little Terrible Towel that he has learned to wave for Steeler games. They are very smart and can be somewhat trained. Make sure he can't escape his cage - they have been known to figure out how to get out - Snowball knows but he's not strong enough to open the door. Snowball also likes to redecorate his cage - we had to fasten down the litterbox and food and water bowls or the contents wound up everywhere. Cages with solid bottoms are better on their little paws - Snowball's cage has a solid plastic bottom that we lined with a weatherproof doormat to provide traction on the floor. I actually don't like cedar or pine chips to line the cage - they are messy and can upset their digestive system if eaten in large quantities. If you play with him outside, make sure he's either in an escape proof run -they can wiggle through the tiniest holes - or on a harness and leash but he won't take a walk with you like a dog. Don't pick him up by the ears - put one hand under his belly and the other hand under his bottom / back legs. If you have kids, make sure they understand he's fragile - they are tougher than they look but still easily injured. They love to be part of the family if treated as such from a young age - some think they are people - I'm sure Snowball does. If you have any other questions, please PM me. Rabbits are great pets if they are treated right!

We have been raising rabbits for over 30 years for show and for meat and would like to add a couple additional comments here. first of all, as a general rule, males typically don't spray if there are no females around. However, this is not always a gaurantee, plus if you take the rabbit outside you have to keep in mind that you may well have had female rabbits run through your yard that can trigger your male's instincts.

As for types of bedding to use, it us best to use bedding that has little scent like Aspen. Because rabbits have such a strong sense of smell, bedding like cedar will drive them crazy. Also, be wary of straw bedding because it can poke them in the eye.

Also, I want to add a comment about fragility of rabbits. Overall they are very strong creatures that suffer little from diseases. However, rabbits do have an Achilles heel and that is their back. A rabbit's back has developed over the millenia to allow it to twist and turn to avoid being eaten in the wild. In our homes or in cages, they cannot twist and turn without hitting something. Thus, it is does happen that on occasion a rabbit will get startled, twist, hit something and break its back. While I assume a vet could do surgery and fix this, the cost is probably prohibitive unless you are talking a top quality show rabbit.

Just remember, like any other social animal what they give back to you depends on what you give to them. If you take the time to train them and love them you should have a long happy relationship with your rabbit.

The American Rabbit Breeders Association has a website with lots of info and links to other good sites at www.arba.net. check them out.

Dsnygirl
05-30-2007, 06:30 PM
:thumbsup: Congrats on your new little bunny! I don't really have any tips to share, although I have owned 3 in my lifetime (so far - I'd like to get one again... :blush:) but I just wanted to say congratulations! You'll love him... one of mine was a mini-lop, and he was great. They do "cage train" for going to the bathroom, so that's nice, in case you weren't aware of that - a friend of mine has 2 bunnies who are both cage trained, and she gives them free reign in her house because of it. :) Have fun!

Lorraine444
05-30-2007, 10:57 PM
Congrats on your new bunny!
I have a bunny myself, her name is Peanut, and she's 5 3/4 lbs. She came from a day care center so she loves people (although I think she's happier with my son & I).
Peanut is 5-6 years old and is a happy bunny.
Please try to not cage her, peanut will only run on the rugs provided for her, the hardwood floor is too slippery! Try that, you might be able to keep her in a selected area. Peanut loves to do laps, she loves to run down her runway rug & jumps to the stars!
Don't get discouraged trying to train her, put a few litter boxes down in different places. When you determine where she wants to pee you can remove the other ones she doesn't use.
I use disposable litter boxes I think they're called kitty cat. You just through them away when they are used up. I do put the recycled paper from the pet store on top of the litter. It helps with the absorbtion part, and deters her from chopping on too much litter.
Baby bunnies take a while to figure this out.
When she is a bit older you must be careful of what you feed them. I have just went through a very rough/expensive time with her.
She was diagnosed with something called sludge. It's when they have too much calcium in their system & she was peeing with the texture of mud. It also was turning to crystals kinda like sand. This can be fatal if not caught early. The symptoms are tiny poops, and not eating enough. My Vet says rabbits in the wild just gaze on grass & other stuff so a house rabbit should have 80% hay (timothy) check with your Vet on the type, and 20% veggies. If she is getting pellets limit them (on older rabbits anyway).
Peanut get 1/4 cup on Fridays only. The other days she gets a chef salad in the a.m. & a chef salad in the p.m. consisting on low calcium items Romaine lettuce, carrots, small amounts of broccli, and small amounts of fruit as a bonus on occasion - strawberry, apples, pears, melon.
Costs a bundle, but her health has improved, with all the watery veggies she has been peeing like crazy and has released all the bad calcium crystals. I guess bottom line is that rabbits need lots of care, need to be fed properly & you must educate yourself. Online is the best, the books don't tell all.
Oh, and yes don't forget bunny's are just like dogs & cats! My bunny falls asleep with me on the couch and loves to be loved......She kisses me when I stop petting her and knudges my hand too! Oh yes, Her toys consist of the newborn plastic key chain, a few real keys on a chain and a toy with the ball in it. something she can pick up & throw with her teeth. She also likes to chew on empty toilet paper rolls.
Enjoy your baby & please take care of her.....
They are expensive, and are well worth it!
ENJOY! If you have more questions feel free to let me know.

mrsgaribaldi
05-30-2007, 11:23 PM
Congratulations on your new family member.:bunny: I never had a bunny so I can't help you out. Just wanted to say congratulations:pixie::pixie::pixie::bunny:

maizey05
06-05-2007, 02:07 AM
I had a mini lop named Leo. He was so very friendly that he became friends with our cocker spaniel. I can still see them at our sliding glass door, looking inside, both wanting to be let inside. We had Leo for about 5 years, but unfortunately, our neighbor's dog somehow dug into his pen. We were very sad. My advice, hold your bunny as much as possible, so it gets used to you. Also, make sure he has a good sturdy pen or cage to live in.

Lorraine444
07-11-2007, 09:58 PM
How is everything going with the baby bunny?
Is the baby litter box trained yet?