PDA

View Full Version : Neighbor's child needs lost of prayers!!!

princessjojo
05-28-2007, 11:18 AM
One of our neighbors has a daughter the same age as my older son, 11/12yr old. She had been feeling fine for the most part but her mom noticed a lump on her arm that just wouldn't go away. They finally went to the doctor and test after test after many other test, they determined that she has progressed into terminal cancer. They explained that at her age, and without any unusual symptoms that would have initially brought her into the doctors office, it has progressed from something that was highly treatable with great results to tumors that have ravaged her body. It was, and still is difficult to understsand because she hasn't felt unusually ill or shown any signs of illness other than this lump on her arm.

Her doctors haven't given her any time frame at this point, but have said that with her prognosis, treatment may or may not extend her life some, but won't cure it and could actually decrease her quality of life at this point. Her father previously worked for his FIL's small company and he passed away about 4 yrs ago. When this happened the new owner decided not to provide health insurance and the family has been making do since then without any.

I am asking that if anyone has any prayers or pixie dust to spare to please send some their way. This is a terrible thing to happen to anyone, especially a child with a full life ahead.

Thanks!

Belle1217
05-28-2007, 12:40 PM
I will keep this little girl and her family in my prayers. Hope things get better!!!

MsMin
05-28-2007, 12:48 PM
Sending tons of :pixie: and adding her to my prayers. :(

Tink's Mom
05-28-2007, 01:09 PM
:pixie: Sending extra pixie dust :pixie:

Deesdisney
05-28-2007, 01:12 PM
I will keep the girl and family in my prayers.

bigpapiortiz34
05-28-2007, 03:40 PM
Hopefully she will get better :)

Sending loads of Pixie Dust and hugs for her. Thoughts and Prayers for her too :mickey:

:pixie: :pixie: :hug: :hug:

merlinmagic4
05-28-2007, 03:46 PM
Sending lots of :pixie: :pixie: and prayers for this young girl. Such sad news but miracles can happen. Let's hope for one.

mickeytinkerbellprincess
05-29-2007, 01:02 AM
:pixie: and lots more for her! I hope things go out for the best!

Hunter62186
05-29-2007, 01:04 AM
That's just awful. I'll be thinking of her.

RenDuran
05-29-2007, 11:50 AM
This puts me at a loss for words. I will definitely keep them in my thoughts.

Christine
05-29-2007, 03:00 PM
Oh my, this is terrible to hear!

I will definitely add this child and her family to my prayer list!

Are they going to get a second opinion?

Jeremy
05-29-2007, 04:47 PM
I am so sorry.
Lots of prayers and pixie dust on the way!

:pixie::pixie::pixie:

Chescat
05-29-2007, 04:58 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about this child. Its so heart breaking. Here's pixie dust for the family.
:pixie::pixie:

I don't want to be nosy here, but does she have leukemia or hodgkins? One thing I might suggest is having them take her to a child's cancer center for a second opinion. Out here we have Childrens Hospital that deals with all children's diseases. I just looked up, there is a St. Jude's Hospital in Memphis (they treat kids from all over the world). These type of hospitals are focused on the children's cancers and children's needs. I think it does make a difference.

As far as the insurance, this is what St. Jude's statement says:

St. Jude is the only pediatric cancer research center where families never pay for treatments that are not covered by insurance, and families without insurance are never asked to pay.

Check out their website. It tells you the diseases that they treat there and all the eligibility requirements.

princessjojo
05-29-2007, 05:48 PM
I don't want to be nosy here, but does she have leukemia or hodgkins? One thing I might suggest is having them take her to a child's cancer center for a second opinion.

As far as the insurance, this is what St. Jude's statement says:

St. Jude is the only pediatric cancer research center where families never pay for treatments that are not covered by insurance, and families without insurance are never asked to pay.

I haven't had a chance to discuss the actual diagnosis with the child's mother. She just left me a message the other evening and asked us to take care of her home and animals while they were away. She was only able to tell me bits and pieces and that the lump on her arm wasn't just a lump.

Currently she is being working with doctors at both UNC Hospitals and Duke Hospital, takin enough time to do research and consider her available options.

Her family, I believe, has spoken with a local rep. of the Shriners Children's Hospital and she has considered this option, but their closest location is Greenville, SC, about 8 hours away from any family, friends or support system, and those she and her daughter need a lot of at this time. Several members of the community have started a raffel to help raise money for the family.

I was most impressed thought when I went to the school to pick up the boys yesterday and the child was there. The principal mentioned that she just wanted to finish the school year and be with her friends. She is really an amazing girl.

Thank everyone for the prayers and pixie dust for this girl. She really needs it at this time.

Chescat
05-29-2007, 06:25 PM
Support team is very important especially after first diagnosis. Sounds like they are already being aggressive with this and that's a good thing.

Another thing to also let them know about is the Ronald McDonald Houses. They are all over the U.S. They put up families when a child needs to go in for treatments and such. Family members of ours are heavily involved in one up in Maine after the loss of their 18 year old son. It has been a blessing for the families and also provides a support team there as well.

snifflesmcg
05-29-2007, 06:28 PM
What terrible news. I am so sorry to hear this. It's a shame that families don't have health care. Due to this, it is going to ultimately take this child's life. Please keep us updated.

RaspberryRed
05-29-2007, 09:34 PM
Aww, I'm so sorry to hear that.
She will defintiley be in my prayers.
I hate it when young people get cancer, when they have such a long life ahead of them.
Sending tons of hugs and pixie dust!
:grouphug::magic::tink:

WED1901
05-30-2007, 03:15 PM
This is heartbreaking to hear. I’ll keep them in my prayers.

:pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:

princessjojo
06-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Just an update on our neighbors daughter.

I was finally able to get with her at school Friday afternoon. Without trying to ask too much at that time and place, she was able to tell me that Ashlyn has Hodgkins Lymphoma. She displayed none of the risk factors for the disease, not that there are any real risk factors other than sometimes the mono virus and immuno deficiency issues.

We are all hoping that her prognosis is wrong as far as the staging of the disease, but if not, maybe she and her body are stronger than they initially thought.

Anyway, thank you for all of your prayers thus far. I will be sure she knows there are those who don't even know her thinking of her as well. She is a wonderful child, a rare find in today's world.

Thank you all again.

Chescat
06-05-2007, 04:13 PM
My cousin had that type of cancer. He was diagnosed stage 3 at age 9. He lived a full live after his treatments until we lost him in his mid 30's. When you figure he was diagnosed in 1976 and the treatments (radiation and some chemo) were not as good as today, I have hope that she will find those that can help her also. :thumbsup:

Jeff
06-05-2007, 05:51 PM
How very sad!
She will be in my prayers.