PDA

View Full Version : Resort transportation and toddlers

Stitch's Mommy
05-28-2007, 08:44 AM
DH and I are seasoned Disney travelers, but we will be taking our son for the first time in January (he will be 3 years old). My question is this: even staying at a monorail resort, bus transportation is a must when going to MGM or AK... how do you keep your little ones safe when busses are "standing room only?" We really don't want to have to rent a car, but I can't stand the thought of my little guy falling down because of hard braking, sharp turns, etc. We've all been on busses where the drivers are a little more "enthusiastic" than others... Anyone have any good safety suggestions?

Mickey'sGirl
05-28-2007, 08:51 AM
Maybe picking him up or holding his hand will add stability?

I have never had a problem getting a seat with my kids... Even if it means that they are sitting on me. :thumbsup:

Jessie
05-28-2007, 09:11 AM
We regularly use a sling for my 2 year old. She's a pretty big 2 year old too so slings aren't just for newborns. She loves the sling and it makes carrying her actually easier on my arms and back. She's tightly secured to my body and I have my hands free to do other things.

We have three different types; a mei tai, moby wrap and padded ring sling. Each have their pros and cons. For a 3 year old, I'd suggest either the mei tai or padded ring sling. With the padded ring sling you can basically carry him on your hip, but with extra support so he's secure and you have free hands. With the mei tei you can either put him on your back, front or side.

disney100%
05-28-2007, 09:14 AM
On our last trip, my DS was 14 months and we had the same concern. But, he never had to stand. We were always lucky enough to have someone offer to let him sit with them, or give up a seat if it was standing room only. I have found that most people we have encountered are pretty sympathetic to a parent's situation of a standing child on the bus. Of course, we always go during school vacation (I am a teacher), so there tend to be a lot of families on the bus who have probably already been through that and know what it is like.

Nicki'sMom
05-28-2007, 10:28 AM
Hopefully your trip in Jan. won't be a crowded time of year to go. We went last Sept with our two year old and never had a problem with the bus.

Tigerlilly
05-28-2007, 12:08 PM
Every bus we were on someone gave up their seat and insisted I sit with my daughter rather than hold her. I do not think she would have had a problem standing on the bus holding a hand though. They are VERY smooth rides.

JCDarzi
05-28-2007, 01:59 PM
Last year we stayed at Pop Century so all our trips to the parks were via bus service. We had our DS 9 months and DD 3 with us. We also carried 2 strollers with us (umbrella style)

As everyone else has said, people were very kind when the bus was crowded to ensure that the kids were seated and that I was seated when holding our son. I don't remember ever having our daughter stand or me to stand with son during our multiple bus trips per day.

Something about the magic of Disney makes everyone so polite and kind. :mickey:

richardsa98
05-28-2007, 03:06 PM
We are always in Disney during the summer because I am a teacher and we have never had a problem using Disney transportation with our toddler. We have been there twice with him, once when he was 18 months old and another time when he was 2 years old. In fact we will be back again in 20 short days and the transportation end of things is always the last thing we worry about! Have fun, some nice person without children will always take pity on you and your tired legs and child:thumbsup: Karma...they know they will need the help one day too:mickey:

iceicebritney
05-28-2007, 09:21 PM
im a small girl - so i hate standing on the buses too... i def sympathize with you. and my nephew is only 5 and very tiny as well. when the buses are crowded i hold him and then i hold onto him and the verticle polls on the bus... its the best way i've found to make sure nothing happens to him if we slam on the breaks -- which on disney property has happened many times over the years with the out-of-town'rs cutting off the bus drivers so often. we've found that the piggy back position works best for carrying him because then your free to hang on to the bar as tightly as possible... we just make it a game (like you have to do with everything for kids) to see who can hold on the tightest... lol he really does try to choke me sometimes i think!

illini
05-28-2007, 10:16 PM
I had an experience once where no one would give up a seat for me, carrying an 11 mo old, and holding onto a 5 y/oDD and 3 y/o DS (can't recall where DH was, but splitting up was an awful idea!). My DS actually landed on the floor. It was horrible. There were other times when people didn't get up which always surprised me. My DH is always the first one up if he doesn't have a kid on his lap.

Usually, though, people are thoughtful. If for some reason you can't get a seat, either hold onto him for dear life or get off and wait for the next bus. I wouldn't suggest trying to hold him and hold yourself up. He's too big, and you'd both be in trouble.

psychotekkie
05-28-2007, 10:51 PM
I had a similar experience, one crowded evening. I ended up standing holding my sleeping 2 1/2 y/o DS in one arm and clenching the bus pole in the other hand all the way from MK to Pop Century. Many of the people sitting around me were of a reasonable age and able-bodied, but just too tired to care, I guess. Boy, did he ever get heavy by the end of the trip. I could barely unflex my arm afterward.

But:
1) that was a fairly isolated incident.
2) Busses would be less crowded at Deluxe resosrts or depending on the time of year (we went around July 1st)
3) Next time that happens to me, I will just say "nuts to that" and sit right down on the bus floor.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-28-2007, 11:18 PM
As the others have said, most times someone will give up their seat so at least your child can sit.

There have been many occasions when the bus was packed and when we got on there was no one offering to give up their seat. My family and I get right off and wait for the next bus. I know that can be inconvenient but, I feel much better knowing that my youngest, and her brothers even though they are older, are sitting safely in a seat.

If the bus pulls up and fills up so that it is standing room only, we step aside to let people who want to stand get on and we just wait at the front of the line to get on the next bus. No one has ever had a problem with that and understand when we tell them what we are doing.

Most times though, you will be pleasantly surprised by the people that are willing to give up their seat for a small child.

Disney Doll
05-29-2007, 02:13 PM
I think you'll be surprised by how many people will give up their seat to a mother with a little one. We always do and when we took our 3 year old niece that karma came back to us. It was never a problem. Also, I think going in January will help since it's less crowded anyway.

TiggerRPh
05-29-2007, 11:59 PM
Before we started driving...we would pass on buses that we couldn't sit on. I'm not taking the chance with my kids...either falling or getting squashed in the humanity.

Another option...take a cab.

mook3y
05-30-2007, 12:32 AM
we have been to WDW twice now, the first time was with 3 (1,3,4) toddlers. our 2 plus niece :confused: what were we thinking! :D In the 9 days we were there, not even once did we have to stand on the bus with the kids. lol we must of looked really haggard because people were pretty quick to get up if the bus was pretty full.

last year, we just had our 2 kids for 11 days and only a couple times did we not get a seat. What I would do is kneel down and hold on to a pole with both arms around my son, to hang on to him.

But, typically, people are pretty willing to give up a seat for us parents with little ones. Usually leads to some nice conversations on the ride back. :cool:

And to those of you that are kind enough to give up a seat to toddler toting parents, your saints! Thanks!